This discussion is closed.
ming
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi everyone.
I was hoping to get people's opinions on these three uni's. None of them are my first choice, but seeing as my first choice may not come through (LSE for International Relations), i'm trying to figure out which of my insurance choices i would chose, just in case.

Im doing Politics or International Relations. I have 3 unconditional offers from these three and also Queen Mary. So give me all you got on which of the three uni's, out of Essex, Sussex or SOAS, would be best for Politics.

Cheers!

Ming.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
SOAS is the best for Africa and Asia, but is a top place in general. Essex and Sussex are good, but I would favour Essex over Sussex.
Hades
Report 17 years ago
SOAS is the best out of that lot by miles! Go for it
*boo*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, SOAS is miles ahead. You should definitely go there!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Theres more to choosing a uni than just where it is in the tables. Now that the pressure is off why not have a look around your choices and go to open days and things and decide which one you like the look of best.
ming
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just a few things i have picked up:

- out of my choices (unless LSE comes through), SOAS seems to be the best in terms of its reputation and 'name'. In terms of institute wide, most tables (Guardian and Times to name a few) place SOAS as 4th and 22nd, which beats all my other choices. And its got the international rep. But for politics it ranks last in both. Essex comes out highly for this course.
So the question is this- do i pick a uni which has a better reputation, but maybe less strength in my particular field, or pick one with less rep, but more strength in Politics.

I think il just have to go check out the uni's. Probably the best way. Anyone else considering SOAS/ESSEX/SUSSEX?
TickityBoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ming)
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just a few things i have picked up:

- out of my choices (unless LSE comes through), SOAS seems to be the best in terms of its reputation and 'name'. In terms of institute wide, most tables (Guardian and Times to name a few) place SOAS as 4th and 22nd, which beats all my other choices. And its got the international rep. But for politics it ranks last in both. Essex comes out highly for this course.
So the question is this- do i pick a uni which has a better reputation, but maybe less strength in my particular field, or pick one with less rep, but more strength in Politics.

I think il just have to go check out the uni's. Probably the best way. Anyone else considering SOAS/ESSEX/SUSSEX?
Yep - I have conditional offers from both SOAS and Sussex.
SOAS is my firm choice, whilst I intend to reject Sussex.
Hades
Report 17 years ago
Went to the SOAS open day today! Bloody brilliant everything I thought it was going to be! I'm definitely going to make it my firm choice, and put Cardiff as my insurance.
ming
(Original post by Hades)
Went to the SOAS open day today! Bloody brilliant everything I thought it was going to be! I'm definitely going to make it my firm choice, and put Cardiff as my insurance.
Thats good to hear! What are you studying? And what is your offer?
*boo*
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I went to the soas open day too and I really liked the place. Everyone was nice and friendly, the tours and talks were informative so it's a good idea to go to an open day yourself. The next one is on 17th March I think.
ming
(Original post by *boo*)
I went to the soas open day too and I really liked the place. Everyone was nice and friendly, the tours and talks were informative so it's a good idea to go to an open day yourself. The next one is on 17th March I think.
Really? Its very encouraging to hear such good things on a grass-roots level. Thats why i hate prospectus'. They just sell sell sell. But you guys are the people, so its comforting too hear this stuff.

I would like to go to the open day, but i wont be in the country after march 15 (gap year in hong kong). But il go check it out on my own it think. What are you studying Boo, and what offers?
*boo*
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ming)
Really? Its very encouraging to hear such good things on a grass-roots level. Thats why i hate prospectus'. They just sell sell sell. But you guys are the people, so its comforting too hear this stuff.

I would like to go to the open day, but i wont be in the country after march 15 (gap year in hong kong). But il go check it out on my own it think. What are you studying Boo, and what offers?
Economics- BBB needed
The website and prospectus doesn't really tell you much so it's better to vist and ask the tutor questions.

What are you doing for your gap year?
ming
(Original post by *boo*)
Economics- BBB needed
The website and prospectus doesn't really tell you much so it's better to vist and ask the tutor questions.

What are you doing for your gap year?
Yea il be organising a trip there soon. For gap year i did 6 months work (office stuff) and then in March i leave for Hong Kong to do 6 months abroad. Working, travelling etc. Cant wait...

Have you sorted SOAS accomodation yet?
TickityBoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ming)
Yea il be organising a trip there soon. For gap year i did 6 months work (office stuff) and then in March i leave for Hong Kong to do 6 months abroad. Working, travelling etc. Cant wait...

I haven't yet - i'm planning on applying for Dinwiddy House but because it's not run directly by Soas but sshl, a housing association, applications don't start until March!
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
sussex is a hole, no offence but it is.
*boo*
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ming)

Not yet. I was wondering do you apply through SOAS or Shaftesbury Housing? On the website there's an application form for Dinwiddy House so do you apply through there?
I think I'll also apply to one of the intercollegiate halls because the location will be closer to the main campus.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well....i don't really recommened Sussex :rolleyes:
ming
(Original post by *boo*)
Not yet. I was wondering do you apply through SOAS or Shaftesbury Housing? On the website there's an application form for Dinwiddy House so do you apply through there?
I think I'll also apply to one of the intercollegiate halls because the location will be closer to the main campus.
I think you apply through Shaftesbury Housing directly, or through the intercollegiate website. Dinwiddy seems pretty cool. Ensuite is a nice prospect!
Hey Boo, or anyone else going to SOAS for that matter. Do you get to use the 'floater' course option on your course? Your doing econ right? If you do, have you thought about what you might take for this? I was gona try a language, like chinese or something...
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ming)
I think you apply through Shaftesbury Housing directly, or through the intercollegiate website. Dinwiddy seems pretty cool. Ensuite is a nice prospect!
Hey Boo, or anyone else going to SOAS for that matter. Do you get to use the 'floater' course option on your course? Your doing econ right? If you do, have you thought about what you might take for this? I was gona try a language, like chinese or something...
I just want to say a word or two in defence of Sussex, a university which years ago was the most glamorous in the country, but which now suffers from the sort of inept PR that would shame Harold Shipman. Sussex for instance has the Institute of Development Studies, which is internationally recognised among professionals in the sort of field in which SOAS predominates (sorry about the awkward sentencing here).It has collected 5-6 science Nobels in the 40 odd years of its existence, on the basis of a small science faculty, when many better known and larger universities have hardly collected one of the things. It is prominent in English literature, anthropology, intellectual history and in pioneering inter-disciplinary approaches. It has a thriving reserach culture across the board and is very cosmopolitan
and has a beautiful campus just outside Brighton on the foot of the South Downs. It's amazing that anybody would put Essex ahead of it: Essex has very good social sciences but not much else-Sussex is distinguished across the range of subjects.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Agreed Sussex and Warwick both started off very similar (different subject strengths etc but the same sort of culture/environment) and somehow Sussex has faded into an ex-poly in peoples minds while warwick has gone from strength to strength.

Its a shame

For development, Sussex is actually very highly regarded (this being a part of international relations in many ways). However, I would go for SOAS, at it's well regarded for development also and has a better reputation abroad too, as well has having a broader focus than Sussex's IDS.

Also, wish you all the best for LSE's IR, a fantastic department
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.13%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.78%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.93%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.19%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.87%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.19%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.77%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.48%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.32%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads