Do Foreign Students Stand a Higher Chance of Admittance Into Oxbridge?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
tarrygon83
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
Do foreign students stand a higher chance of admittance into Oxbridge, compared to a British or EU applicant? I feel that there might just be some truth in that as foreign students pay much more for tuition fees, (with this being the major reason rather than the reason of bringing cultural diversity to the university). Can anyone verify?
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by tarrygon83)
Do foreign students stand a higher chance of admittance into Oxbridge, compared to a British or EU applicant? I feel that there might just be some truth in that as foreign students pay much more for tuition fees, (with this being the major reason rather than the reason of bringing cultural diversity to the university). Can anyone verify?
At Oxford foreign students make up 20% of the applicants and 10% of the successes, so it doesn't look like it...
fishpaste
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
No they find it alot more difficult.
tomek J.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by tarrygon83)
no it's more difficult. for UK students, the success rate is about 25%, while for foreign students, it's 18% - they only ever consider money after they have decided that you are good enough to come. Last year I was an international student and i got pooled by Cambridge, so I was obviously good enough, and they could have taken me in favour of somebody slightly better because I would have paid more - and nobody took me from the pool either. Especially for Arts subject, it is much harder for foreigners to get into cambridge.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Hmmmmmmm, I think if they had two identical students they'd take the money... Overseas students do have some disadvantages though.
tomek J.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Hmmmmmmm, I think if they had two identical students they'd take the money... Overseas students do have some disadvantages though.
they will never have two identical students, so this won't happen. if they like the poorer one a little bit more they will take him and ignore the money...the fact that one is an international student will never be decisive.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
27.78%
Take a gap year (23)
15.97%
Resit my exams (40)
27.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.19%
I don't know yet (16)
11.11%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.17%

Watched Threads