Do Foreign Students Stand a Higher Chance of Admittance Into Oxbridge?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
tarrygon83
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Do foreign students stand a higher chance of admittance into Oxbridge, compared to a British or EU applicant? I feel that there might just be some truth in that as foreign students pay much more for tuition fees, (with this being the major reason rather than the reason of bringing cultural diversity to the university). Can anyone verify?
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tarrygon83)
Do foreign students stand a higher chance of admittance into Oxbridge, compared to a British or EU applicant? I feel that there might just be some truth in that as foreign students pay much more for tuition fees, (with this being the major reason rather than the reason of bringing cultural diversity to the university). Can anyone verify?
At Oxford foreign students make up 20% of the applicants and 10% of the successes, so it doesn't look like it...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No they find it alot more difficult.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tarrygon83)
no it's more difficult. for UK students, the success rate is about 25%, while for foreign students, it's 18% - they only ever consider money after they have decided that you are good enough to come. Last year I was an international student and i got pooled by Cambridge, so I was obviously good enough, and they could have taken me in favour of somebody slightly better because I would have paid more - and nobody took me from the pool either. Especially for Arts subject, it is much harder for foreigners to get into cambridge.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hmmmmmmm, I think if they had two identical students they'd take the money... Overseas students do have some disadvantages though.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Hmmmmmmm, I think if they had two identical students they'd take the money... Overseas students do have some disadvantages though.
they will never have two identical students, so this won't happen. if they like the poorer one a little bit more they will take him and ignore the money...the fact that one is an international student will never be decisive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads