The Student Room Group

My rabbit is bleeding...down there °_°

A few months ago we found a rabbit running round the garden, so we caught it and it was really tame, seemed healthy and domestic...it had obviously escaped from somewhere. Shes quite quiet and timid but will let you pick her up from her hutch, unlike our other rabbit who'll bolt away. One day we put both rabbits in the garden, and thats how we found out she was a girl (she got big bobbed).

A couple of days later i had her in the living room. Normally she explores and sniffs around. but she just sat there for ages on a cushion. When i lifted her to put her back into her cage, i could see that there was a lot of urine and some blood on the cushion. Was this because she had been violated by Big Bob? (they havent been together since)

I cant take her to the vets atm as im on my residence abroad and shes being looked after atm. But shes seemed totally healthy since...it was just that one day. There havent been any babies, or any sign of. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I have no idea how old my rabbit is(certainly big though), or whether shes had past litters or what. I intend to take her to the vets in sep to get her checked over (no money atm), but it'd be useful to know if this would be an urgent matter as I don't want a dead rabbit on my hands.

TL : DR - Female pet rabbit 'period-like' bleeding day after being around with male rabbit. No babies after over a mth. Urgent or normal?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mew_156
A few months ago we found a rabbit running round the garden, so we caught it and it was really tame, seemed healthy and domestic...it had obviously escaped from somewhere. Shes quite quiet and timid but will let you pick her up from her hutch, unlike our other rabbit who'll bolt away. One day we put both rabbits in the garden, and thats how we found out she was a girl (she got big bobbed).

A couple of days later i had her in the living room. Normally she explores and sniffs around. but she just sat there for ages on a cushion. When i lifted her to put her back into her cage, i could see that there was a lot of urine and some blood on the cushion. Was this because she had been violated by Big Bob? (they havent been together since)

I cant take her to the vets atm as im on my residence abroad and shes being looked after atm. But shes seemed totally healthy since...it was just that one day. There havent been any babies, or any sign of. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I have no idea how old my rabbit is(certainly big though), or whether shes had past litters or what. I intend to take her to the vets in sep to get her checked over (no money atm), but it'd be useful to know if this would be an urgent matter as I don't want a dead rabbit on my hands.

TL : DR - Female pet rabbit 'period-like' bleeding day after being around with male rabbit. No babies after over a mth. Urgent or normal?

She's probably just in season but I would research that as I'm judging from something my uncle told me about his dog once:colondollar:
He once told me to keep his dog (female) away from male ones and on the lead because she was in season and had been bleeding, making other males interested in her... So, I'm guessing it's the same with Big Bob?

Hope everything is fine anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Well i can honestly say this wasnt what i was expecting, although WHAT i was expecting im not very sure and dont think i want to be :colonhash:.
Reply 3
Big bob...the rabbit version of quagmire...
Reply 4
Do you eat pet rabbits when they die? (serious question)
Original post by Hamzah
Big bob...the rabbit version of quagmire...

:rofl: giddy gi doo
I probably sounds really stupid now I know other species of female animal have periods. :colonhash:
Reply 7
Original post by Baula
She's probably just in season but I would research that as I'm judging from something my uncle told me about his dog once:colondollar:
He once told me to keep his dog (female) away from male ones and on the lead because she was in season and had been bleeding, making other males interested in her... So, I'm guessing it's the same with Big Bob?

Hope everything is fine anyway :smile:

Rabbits dont go into season, they can pretty much get pregnant any time. This is why I thought the bleeding was strange. Haha, Big Bob is the boy rabbit we have (named by my boyfriend's mum, not me!) But thanks for the advice :smile:

Original post by stefano

No. I don't eat any animals being a vegetarian.
Reply 8
It could have been a wide variety of things, some that come to mind are Pyometra, A urinary tract infection or bladder/kidneys.

I assume she isn't spayed? In which case I would get her to the vet to get her checked out, pyometra is a killer and whilst it can be open (when you would see blood) it can become closed pyometra where the infection builds up in her womb.

Also you may want to get her spayed anyway when you consider than an un-spayed rabbit has an 80% chance of developing ovarian cancer. Those odds are stupidly high.

If its a UTI she would needs antibiotics.

I am afraid saying you can't get her to the vets is no excuse, taking her on means you have a legal obligation to take your animal to the vet. Why can't the person looking after her take her to the vets for you? She needs a check up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Maybe she was a virgin :smile:)
Reply 10
obvious suggestion - TAKE IT TO A VET :facepalm2:
Reply 11
There is only one answer here - VETS! Any vaginal bleeding is bad sign and can be a number of things ranging from a wound or kidney tumors. Its against the law to deny any animal of veterinary treatment when they need it.
Original post by mew_156
Was this because she had been violated by Big Bob?

So you think you're pet female rabbit had sex againts her will?

"No big Bob...not tonight...I'm not in the mood" :tongue:

It's what animals do. So violated? No. Has she mated with Big Bob? Maybe. But she hasn't been violated :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mevidek
obvious suggestion - TAKE IT TO A VET :facepalm2:

This. And if you honestly can't afford vets then don't take on animals!
Reply 14
Found out what the problem was. She had a litter of 7 yesterday! According to advice, I've got to wait a couple of weeks til i can get her spayed. Does anyone have experience of keeping groups of rabbits together? I heard that neutered males and females go well together, but same sex groups can sometimes be a problem. I want to keep them all unless close family members express an interest in having a pair, so would keeping them in 3's or 4's be a possible solution? (As soon as theyre old enough I'm going to get them neutered)
Reply 15
Original post by stefano

Are you serious?!
Rabbits don't go in season, it's perfectly normal, plant pigments turn urine red-orange
Reply 17
Hi new to this for the past couple of days on and off there has been blood in my female rabbits hutch she's still eating playing wants cuddles etc just want some advice

Quick Reply

Latest