The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Always wanted to get in UCL - but did badly in my exams

I grew up wanting to be an art student. That's what my family wanted and was what I was good at. Until upper secondary, where I switched art to chemistry. I took an interest in science.

I want to get in UCL so badly. I'm an international student from Asia, and I loved london the moment I went there.

However for my IGCSEs I got 1 A*, 6A and 3Bs. It wasn't the best. I thought i'll do better for IB.

Yet my literature grades were never great - I've never been good at understanding emotions and details.

I did real bad for my final exams this year (I'm in Year 12 right now and this goes greatly towards my predicted grade). Getting lower than my mid year averages.

I'm currently getting something along the guidelines :
Chinese A1 SL - 5
Mathematics SL - 5/6
Economics SL - 6

English A2 HL - 5
Chemistry HL - 6
Biology HL - 6

AND it might even be lower since I haven't gotten all my fianl exams back yet and they are bad. I'm being pretty optimistic with the grade I listed above.

And I feel real bad now.
Is there still a chance of me getting into UCL?
What are some ways that improves my chances in getting in it?
I always wanted an Aston Martin but I could not afford one. Maybe if I work hard enough some day I may be able to afford one.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
you're not good enough for it, end of - I always wanted to go to Cambridge, end of
Reply 3
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I always wanted an Aston Martin but I could not afford one. Maybe if I work hard enough some day I may be able to afford one.

Sorry but just so you know I did work fairly hard..
Maybe you could ask your college or school to raise your rpedicted grades because you feel they don't represent how hard you work? :-/
Reply 5
Original post by ktkc
I grew up wanting to be an art student. That's what my family wanted and was what I was good at. Until upper secondary, where I switched art to chemistry. I took an interest in science.

I want to get in UCL so badly. I'm an international student from Asia, and I loved london the moment I went there.

However for my IGCSEs I got 1 A*, 6A and 3Bs. It wasn't the best. I thought i'll do better for IB.

Yet my literature grades were never great - I've never been good at understanding emotions and details.

I did real bad for my final exams this year (I'm in Year 12 right now and this goes greatly towards my predicted grade). Getting lower than my mid year averages.

I'm currently getting something along the guidelines :
Chinese A1 SL - 5
Mathematics SL - 5/6
Economics SL - 6

English A2 HL - 5
Chemistry HL - 6
Biology HL - 6

AND it might even be lower since I haven't gotten all my fianl exams back yet and they are bad. I'm being pretty optimistic with the grade I listed above.

And I feel real bad now.
Is there still a chance of me getting into UCL?
What are some ways that improves my chances in getting in it?

Depends what subject you want to do?
Reply 6
Original post by AspiringGenius
Maybe you could ask your college or school to raise your rpedicted grades because you feel they don't represent how hard you work? :-/

I'll probably try.
I did work erally hard towards this...
I'm not sure if the school will actually raise it though.
Reply 7
Original post by Gowrav
Depends what subject you want to do?

Most likely chemistry or biomedical science.
Original post by ktkc
I'll probably try.
I did work erally hard towards this...
I'm not sure if the school will actually raise it though.

You sound like a really hard working person. I hope you do achieve your ambitions. By the sound of it, you feelnlike you can do better so I think you definitely are good enough, it's just applying yourself to the exams.

I'm doing the IB next year and am looking into the UCL or ICL area. :smile:
Reply 9
You sound like a really hard working person. I hope you do achieve your ambitions. By the sound of it, you feelnlike you can do better so I think you definitely are good enough, it's just applying yourself to the exams.

I'm doing the IB next year and am looking into the UCL or ICL area. :smile:

Thank you =)
I did try really hard for this exam
but I didn't do as well as my mid years and normal exams...
It's worth 40% of my grade. =(

Good Luck to you!!
ICL's too far away from me :P
Sure you'll do great.
Original post by ktkc
Thank you =)
I did try really hard for this exam
but I didn't do as well as my mid years and normal exams...
It's worth 40% of my grade. =(

Good Luck to you!!
ICL's too far away from me :P
Sure you'll do great.

They're both in London so pretty much equal distance from me. Do you live in the UK?
Reply 11
Some subjects at UCL only ask for 34 points, which I'm sure you could get predicted for you if you think you've underperformed? I don't know what the requirements are like for the chemistry based subjects, but have you ever considered a return to art? Fine art only asks for 34 points.
Reply 12
There's a chance, but I wouldn't have thought it was very likely. The scores you listed up there barely scrape into the range for entry requirements for Chemistry (34-38, with 16-18 points at HL), and aren't even close the those required for biomed (36-38, with 17-18 points at HL). And you say you're being optimistic with the grades listed here.

Sometimes you just have to accept you're not good enough,even if you did work hard. It's sad, but UCL have no reason to take on people just because they really want to go there, when they have better candidates who probably also want to go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Deceiver
Some subjects at UCL only ask for 34 points, which I'm sure you could get predicted for you if you think you've underperformed? I don't know what the requirements are like for the chemistry based subjects, but have you ever considered a return to art? Fine art only asks for 34 points.

I don't know. I feel like I like science more. I mean I like art. I don't know, art or science, I'm not sure myself which one I like more.

But I'm not doing IB art anymore, so I guess that's set.
Reply 14
Original post by Lizia
There's a chance, but I wouldn't have thought it was very likely. The scores you listed up there barely scrape into the range for entry requirements for Chemistry (34-38, with 16-18 points at HL), and aren't even close the those required for biomed (36-38, with 17-18 points at HL). And you say you're being optimistic with the grades listed here.

Sometimes you just have to accept you're not good enough,even if you did work hard. It's sad, but UCL have no reason to take on people just because they really want to go there, when they have better candidates who probably also want to go.

Thanks =)
Yep I understand what you're talking about.
It's sad.
I can still be optmistic and try harder and aim for the chemistry department though. I think chemistry is lowered to 32 now. I don't know if that's true (It says so on UCAS and their hand booklet)

Will it be harder for me as an international student though? (like less preference?)
Reply 15
They're both in London so pretty much equal distance from me. Do you live in the UK?

Nope. I'm Asian.
So I'll be applying as international student
Reply 16
Original post by ktkc
Thanks =)
Yep I understand what you're talking about.
It's sad.
I can still be optmistic and try harder and aim for the chemistry department though. I think chemistry is lowered to 32 now. I don't know if that's true (It says so on UCAS and their hand booklet)

Will it be harder for me as an international student though? (like less preference?)

There's never any harm in trying, and you have 5 choices so there's no harm in having one of them be an unlikely one like UCL.

And no, it won't be harder for you as an international student. UCL has one of the highest rates of international students as far as I know, so it's no barrier.
Reply 17
Original post by Lizia

WTH are you on about? His low estimate is 33 and every average student should be getting 2 extra points or else they're seriously not working hard enough. That makes 35 low estimate.
Reply 18
Original post by sadhukar
WTH are you on about? His low estimate is 33 and every average student should be getting 2 extra points or else they're seriously not working hard enough. That makes 35 low estimate.

Sorry, where I come from, people actually asking for advice based on their grades tend to post the grades they think they'll get. They don't waste people's time by asking a question where grades are only thing that can help people answer them, then posting grades which are completely different. And:

Original post by ktkc
I'm being pretty optimistic with the grade I listed above.

He said the grades he listed above were more than he is expecting to actually get. And the grades he listed barely scraped the requirements in the first place. So what I said is completely accurate, unlike your random notion that he'll get two points more than he says.

So, um..."WTH are YOU on about?"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Hey guys =)
Thanks.
I just got my other grade back, my English teacher told me I got a firm 6. Chemistry firm 6. Chinese 5. Biology 6 or maybe if I'm super lucky 7(I got 7 in my final exam) and math is the one I didn't get back yet. I'm hoping a 5. That would make it a 34 and i didn't add ee and tok yet. Im hoping that it'll raise my chances.

And i am aware I may not get in. I'm just hoping.
Thanks all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending