The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Hello all,

It's that time of the year again, when Teach First opens its application cycle for the 2012 entry!

Share your woes, queries, nerves, anticipation about the application form and assessment centre on this thread!

Good luck to all that apply! :u:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I'm a bundle of nerves and my family and friends are sick of hearing about it all. So happy to join. Just been checking my mail every few minutes. Also, I'm an overseas applicant so really need a date before I can get a visa/ticket/leave from work. Eek! Which subject did you apply for star?
Reply 2
Original post by Maitrayee
Well, I'm a bundle of nerves and my family and friends are sick of hearing about it all. So happy to join. Just been checking my mail every few minutes. Also, I'm an overseas applicant so really need a date before I can get a visa/ticket/leave from work. Eek! Which subject did you apply for star?

Hey Maitrayee,

Don't fret so much. At least you've applied early.

Maybe, because you're overseas, they're taking a bit longer to assess your application.

I've applied for English/Primary. But my degree was in law. Got experience in teaching all three but we'll see what they want me to do if i get it!

Maybe you could speak to Teach first about any delays you may suffer due to getting a visa/getting a plane ticket etc. Graduate Recruitment are really nice and will be happy to talk to you...really!

Don't worry, it can take up to a week/10 days to get a response.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey star,

Thanks for the nice response! :smile:

I just got an email acceptance from them! Very excited.
Have my visa interview on 13th so hope all goes well.
Getting my plane ticket tonight as well.

I'm applying to teach English. Although quite happy to teach History, Geography or Citizenship as well, as necessary.

Good luck with your AC prep!
Reply 4
I also got an email from TF today to say that I've been selected to attend the Assessment Centre. However, I'm currently in Germany (Erasmus) and I will be here until mid-August. They just asked me to clarify my situation in the email and I told them that I could attend the assessment centre in either August when I return or I can fly to London before August for the AC if that's easier for them.

Great to get a response anyway and so prompt too, impressive!

I applied to teach English and I'm a Law & German degree student, going into my last year in September.
Reply 5
Crania, they were very prompt replying to me. I said I will be in the UK in July, and they gave me an AC date of 19th July. A day after my birthday! :biggrin:
Reply 6
That's great Maitrayee, I hope your birthday brings you luck!

Yeah, they offered me an AC date on the 19th, 20th or 21st July but I have exams in late July and early August so they offered me to book me in for an AC date in August instead.

This is all moving very fast now!
Reply 7
Hey,

I applied last night! I *think* I applied for Primary.. I ended up registering for the site, them somehow ended up directly on the application and answered all the which A-Level...blah questions then was given the option of Primary or English. To be honest I had intended to apply for History.. but to be honest think i'd be happy doing almosts anything! (except maths.. :P)
I'm only in my second year now and have 2 more years to go, but my recruiter recommended applying now and deferring, although I haven't heard of anyone else who has done this?!

Scary stuff, already keep checking my email obsessively! Good Luck with your applications :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Crania
That's great Maitrayee, I hope your birthday brings you luck!

Yeah, they offered me an AC date on the 19th, 20th or 21st July but I have exams in late July and early August so they offered me to book me in for an AC date in August instead.

This is all moving very fast now!

Good luck with the AC! It just shows how understanding they are about these things, makes me think they are a good employer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Maitrayee
Hey star,

Thanks for the nice response! :smile:

I just got an email acceptance from them! Very excited.
Have my visa interview on 13th so hope all goes well.
Getting my plane ticket tonight as well.

I'm applying to teach English. Although quite happy to teach History, Geography or Citizenship as well, as necessary.

Good luck with your AC prep!

Well done!!! Good on you for sorting out this situation.
Reply 10
Original post by schpanzy
Hey,

I applied last night! I *think* I applied for Primary.. I ended up registering for the site, them somehow ended up directly on the application and answered all the which A-Level...blah questions then was given the option of Primary or English. To be honest I had intended to apply for History.. but to be honest think i'd be happy doing almosts anything! (except maths.. :P)
I'm only in my second year now and have 2 more years to go, but my recruiter recommended applying now and deferring, although I haven't heard of anyone else who has done this?!

Scary stuff, already keep checking my email obsessively! Good Luck with your applications :smile:

I think the application form is generic and they tend to fill subjects based on what you do your sample lesson on in the AC and based on your educational background. I don't think the application form lets you choose the subject you want to do from that stage.

It is possible to defer entry, but usually people defer because their subject is full already or something.
Reply 11
Original post by star2899
Good luck with the AC! It just shows how understanding they are about these things, makes me think they are a good employer.

N.B. if you get a place TF aren't actually your employer, your eventual school will be :smile:
Hi,

I also applied last night (geography) so now just playing the waiting game. Does anybody know where the AC is held, I'm guessing it's their London offices but can anyone confirm?
Reply 13
Yes, it's in London. They told me in my email that they offer a £40 travel allowance, but maybe that's only for overseas applicants.
Reply 14
Original post by Freckely Tim
Hi,

I also applied last night (geography) so now just playing the waiting game. Does anybody know where the AC is held, I'm guessing it's their London offices but can anyone confirm?

Back in my day they had ACs all over the place. I did mine in Durham where I went to uni!
Reply 15
Oh Becca probably knows more about it than me. They just said in my email that the AC was in London. Just presumed that because they didn't give me a choice of location that the only location was London.
Reply 16
Original post by Crania
Oh Becca probably knows more about it than me. They just said in my email that the AC was in London. Just presumed that because they didn't give me a choice of location that the only location was London.

Probably as yours is so early on it's in London, but the ones later in the year are dotted around the country for when they go round recruiting people from different unis.
Reply 17
My location for AC is also in London but as this is where I also live, this is convenient!
Reply 18
aghhh I got an email this afternoon inviting me for an AC on July 19th!!! Crazyness - I only applied on Tuesday night, already feel sick/nervous!! Oh my I knew we had to prepare and deliver lesson but now its real...

Do you think a school would let me observe them for a day or something? I have some classroom experience with young children but its always so busy so bit of a blur! Do you think they expect us to interact with them as students or just deliver a straight lesson as I guess interaction is a pretty integral part of a standard lesson??!

Sorry, I feel like i'm getting ahead of myself here!
Hi, I just sent off my online app today but have a few friends on TF so have heard about the assessment. You will definitely need to engage with the 'pupils' to see if they are learning and also to manage their disruption level. A lot of schools are okay with observations but I wonder if this requires a CRB check nowadays? You could also try teacher/teacher training websites and forums for lesson tips. As I work in a school I have signed up to TES Connect and their email newsletters are really helpful -I will definitely be going back over them if I get TF.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending