The Student Room Group

Why do people become soldiers/part of the army?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jk49
LAPD eh? Definatly someone who's watched too many movies :wink:

Original post by wactm
My dad was in the LAPD and my grandad was in the police in england.

I think this springs to mind :biggrin:

Reply 41
Pride, camaraderie, spirit, these things are what makes the army a whole different vibe to that of an office and are why people get involved.
Reply 42
My uncle is currently serving in Afghan. He joined for a huge variety of reasons (wanting to learn new skills, travel opportunities, meet new people, feel a sense of pride in his work, wanting to be able to provide a better future for his daughter)

But there are people he's met along the way who had their own reasons:
no other option but to join the army;
complete nutjobs who want to blow things up;
and people who wanted to become commercial airline pilots in the end.

There's not a single answer. If you were to ask every single member of the Armed Forces, I doubt you'd hear the same answer often.
Many reasons. I would like to think that most do it purely for selfish reasons such as they have nothing else to do, want to make friends, psychopath obsessed with guns and the pension plan as well as respect (deserved or not which is another debate). However some are of coursed brainwashed into thinking that they are actually making a difference when in reality they are nothing but pawns "For Queen and Country!" give me a break.
The lack of patriotism on this thread is astounding! Some of you saying things like 'well im sort of patriotic' is really sad. Even the OP's question is slightly disturbing, you should join to serve your queen & country as a proud Briton. End of.

If this were 1939 with your attitudes we would all be screwed...
Reply 45
They're ****ing stupid and have nothing better to do
Reply 46
Original post by Count Stefular
I don't know about soldiers but I'm joining to be a medical officer and there are truckloads of reasons to join any area of the army. It's better than just sitting at a desk all day, opportunities to travel, making life long friends, chance to actually make a difference, great pay, a job to be proud of, job security. I guess for me though the only one that matters is that if our boys are brave enough to go and fight, someone should be out there to look after them.

All those reasons you have stated could be found in other jobs you are making it seem like there are only two possibilities of a job, which is joining the army or sitting on a desk. When in reality there are so many different jobs.
*if our boys are brave enough to invade countries and kill and rape innocent civilians without being forced and risking their life for no reason why should somebody be there to look out for them? So you can treat them and they can go off to kill some more innocent people?
Reply 47
OP, the thread has shown that you only get biased opinions when you ask people who aren't members of the Armed Forces why people join the Armed Forces... what exactly did you hope to achieve?

You might as well ask everybody here why people become radio presenters, for all the informed opinion you'll get.
Original post by Drewski
8 negs - because 8 people on TSR think that generalising 200,000 people you've never met only shows your own stupidity.

I can apply the above statement to you too. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Drewski
8 negs - because 8 people on TSR think that generalising 200,000 people you've never met only shows your own stupidity.

you dumb bruv?

its the job - the role - the niche
Reply 50
Original post by SoulfulBoy
I can apply the above statement to you too. :smile:

Except for one thing: mine's accurate.

8 people who've made their opinion known that they disagree with the statement are very different from 200,000 people who you have no possible way of knowing.
Depends on which country and context to be honest. In Britain, the two people I know who have joined the army (one the Royal Marines) have done so due to a combination of patriotism and prospects of adventure.

When I was younger, I was swayed by patriotic songs on Pakistani TV and wanted to join the army to "do my duty". Now, in England, I'am gonna join the CUOTC at university in order to get fitter, a bit of adventure and most importantly some extra money. However I will definitely not go on to join the British military.
Many people in this thread need to stop assuming anyone willing to join the army is 'too stupid' to do anything else, without them we'd all be pretty screwed. Some people on TSR are such ****s its unreal
Reply 53
Original post by DJkG.1
you dumb bruv?

its the job - the role - the niche

I was an Intelligence Officer in the RAF. I have a degree in aeronautical engineering.

I know professional pilots, engineers, doctors, dentists in the Armed Forces all with multiple degrees and IQs 3x that of yours [and mine].

Are you really confident that labelling every one of the ~200,000 people in the Armed Forces is making you look measured and reasonable, or just small, petty and incredibly childish?
Reply 54
Original post by Inzamam99
Depends on which country and context to be honest. In Britain, the two people I know who have joined the army (one the Royal Marines) have done so due to a combination of patriotism and prospects of adventure.

When I was younger, I was swayed by patriotic songs on Pakistani TV and wanted to join the army to "do my duty". Now, in England, I'am gonna join the CUOTC at university in order to get fitter, a bit of adventure and most importantly some extra money. However I will definitely not go on to join the British military.

What's CUOTC. Sounds like my cup of tea!
Original post by TheImperialist
The lack of patriotism on this thread is astounding! Some of you saying things like 'well im sort of patriotic' is really sad. Even the OP's question is slightly disturbing, you should join to serve your queen & country as a proud Briton. End of.

If this were 1939 with your attitudes we would all be screwed...

The state of your *******.:colondollar:
Original post by Genocidal
Many reasons. I would like to think that most do it purely for selfish reasons such as they have nothing else to do, want to make friends, psychopath obsessed with guns and the pension plan as well as respect (deserved or not which is another debate). However some are of coursed brainwashed into thinking that they are actually making a difference when in reality they are nothing but pawns "For Queen and Country!" give me a break.

+1
Reply 57
Original post by IceWater
What's CUOTC. Sounds like my cup of tea!

Cambridge University Officer Training Corps. A modified TA for uni students. Most universities have them, some are grouped together. There are also RAF and RN equivalent [UAS and URNU, respectively].
Reply 58
Original post by Drewski
Cambridge University Officer Training Corps. A modified TA for uni students. Most universities have them, some are grouped together. There are also RAF and RN equivalent [UAS and URNU, respectively].

Cheers, I'll definitely look out for that during the society fair.
Reply 59
A job in the military is exciting. I'm considering joining when I'm older, say 22ish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending