The Student Room Group

Can I drive a small motorbike with my B license?

Hello!

I am from Spain and there, after two years of having B license, the normal driving license anybody would get to drive a normal car..., so after three years you can drive small motorbikes, of up to 125 cc.

Is it allowed also here in the UK?

Thanks!

CT: How our members found super cheap motorbike insurance quotes
(edited 5 years ago)
On a uk license, to drive a bike of 125cc you need to complete a CBT, which then allowed you to ride a 125cc bike providing you are over 17, use L plates and don't got on motorways or take pillions. This is valid for 2 years then you have to redo the CBT.
Reply 2
Thanks!
Yeah, unfortunately the licencing law has changed in a sucky way since the old days.
Reply 4
Original post by Hunglikeamuuule
Yeah, unfortunately the licencing law has changed in a sucky way since the old days.

What do you mean by that? Do you think its too strict - ie you shouldnt be allowed to ride any bike on a car licence - or too lenient and you should be allowed to ride what you want when you've passed your car test?
Have you exchanged your Spanish licence for a GB one? If not, do. Alternatively get a GB Counterpart licence. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

Make sure your new licence/ counterpart has provisional category A. Only then can you do CBT and ride with L-plates.
Reply 6
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Have you exchanged your Spanish licence for a GB one? If not, do. Alternatively get a GB Counterpart licence. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

Make sure your new licence/ counterpart has provisional category A. Only then can you do CBT and ride with L-plates.

Hes from the EU - therefore doesnt need a UK licence?
Original post by Riderz
What do you mean by that? Do you think its too strict - ie you shouldnt be allowed to ride any bike on a car licence - or too lenient and you should be allowed to ride what you want when you've passed your car test?

I think it was if you passed your test before 2001 or 1997 or something you were allowed to ride a 50cc on a B licence and im pretty sure if you passed your test before 1997 you would automatically have a 7.5 tonner lorry on the licence and other things like trailers etc. Now you dont get any of that but the car and a small trailer.
Original post by Riderz
Hes from the EU - therefore doesnt need a UK licence?

Err. In order to do CBT you need a provisional motorbike licence, do you not?
Original post by Hunglikeamuuule
I think it was if you passed your test before 2001 or 1997 or something you were allowed to ride a 50cc on a B licence and im pretty sure if you passed your test before 1997 you would automatically have a 7.5 tonner lorry on the licence and other things like trailers etc. Now you dont get any of that but the car and a small trailer.

Yep, before 1997 you got car + trailer, minibus, minibus + trailer (up to 12 tonnes), 7.5 tonner, 7.5 tonner + trailer (up to total 8.25 tonnes) for free with a car test.

Now you get bugger all.

You're right. Moped is still given out with car licences, but car licences gained after 1st Feb 2001 need CBT to validate them.

Quick Reply

Latest