The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex: Ask A Student Thread / Information Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the responses re: Subzero and full length mirrors. I guess everything gets old after the initial novelty wears off... and having somewhere to go on a regular basis is probably good for freshers whilst they find their feet.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Winterbells
Thanks for the responses re: Subzero and full length mirrors. I guess everything gets old after the initial novelty wears off... and having somewhere to go on a regular basis is probably good for freshers whilst they find their feet.

its not a bad club, but year going to the same place over and over again gets a bit old

with freshers week you are pretty much in there for the 7 days if you go out every night
its like you get bored of going to the same place

we used to go out into town during the week, and sometimes to escape at the weekends(thats been closed now)
Original post by good morning
thankyou for that, and you are indeed correct. i dont know much about the grading at uni or even much about lectures, seminars and how you learn really :frown: its the only think im yet to research...

you doing biomed?

lecture wise they are meant to give you the core, the notes you need and what you need to learn
its different in a science than to a arts some what
you will still need to do the readings, but you will be given more information in a lecture, in 50mins they go throw like 30+ slides on power point easy

seminars unless its changed we never had them on the biomed course, only the odd one where you are in a PC lab

you have labs and lecture, you learn using the lecture notes and building up around them, if you don't understand something email the lecturer 90% of them are great and always happy to help

marks wise, 70%+ is a first
60%+ is a 2.1
50%+ 2.2
40% 3rd

you get given a grid with the a idea of what they are looking for in each area
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
that would be much appreciated :smile: will rep you as much as possible tomorrow :biggrin:

What robinson says is correct :smile:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Original post by robinson999
you doing biomed?

lecture wise they are meant to give you the core, the notes you need and what you need to learn
its different in a science than to a arts some what
you will still need to do the readings, but you will be given more information in a lecture, in 50mins they go throw like 30+ slides on power point easy

seminars unless its changed we never had them on the biomed course, only the odd one where you are in a PC lab

you have labs and lecture, you learn using the lecture notes and building up around them, if you don't understand something email the lecturer 90% of them are great and always happy to help

marks wise, 70%+ is a first
60%+ is a 2.1
50%+ 2.2
40% 3rd

you get given a grid with the a idea of what they are looking for in each area

ah okay. roughly (if you can remember) how many hours of lectures and labs and tutorials do you have in your 1st year?

i would thumbs you both but i some how manage to reach my limit before the day even starts :O
but thankyou :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
ah okay. roughly (if you can remember) how many hours of lectures and labs and tutorials do you have in your 1st year?

i would thumbs you both but i some how manage to reach my limit before the day even starts :O
but thankyou :smile:

most labs are 3 hours long each, sometime you will have 4 some weeks you will have 0
lectures don't be shocked if you are 9-6 or 9-5

tutorials a hour or 2 at most when you had then

some weeks you will be 9-5 everyday, apart from Wednesday
Reply 86
Arbitrary question: There aren't any lectures and so forth before 9 in the morning, right?

My secondary school started 7:35 in the morning, and I hated it. :s-smilie:
No. The timetables don't begin until 9am.
anyone got any photos of the rooms inside the towers? they didnt let us in the towers on the ucas day....

+ are they really that bad?
Reply 89
anyone got any photos of the rooms inside the towers? they didnt let us in the towers on the ucas day....

They're not bad at all. Very very good value for money.
Reply 90
Original post by stifa
Arbitrary question: There aren't any lectures and so forth before 9 in the morning, right?

My secondary school started 7:35 in the morning, and I hated it. :s-smilie:

No, you will be fine. You can just not go to the early stuff anyway.
Reply 91
Original post by paddy__power
No, you will be fine. You can just not go to the early stuff anyway.

Are there any lectures/tutorials/lab etc. before 9 am?
Reply 92
Original post by stifa

I just said no....
Reply 93
Sorry... I just found this sentence ambiguous: "You can just not go to the early stuff anyway."

:colondollar:
Reply 94
Original post by stifa
Sorry... I just found this sentence ambiguous: "You can just not go to the early stuff anyway."

:colondollar:

Oh okay, fair enough. I just meant that if something starts at 9 and you CBA to go then just don't - lol.
Original post by stifa

I seriously, seriously doubt it. I know when we had our year abroad talk we were told that we could be starting from 8am, and pretty much everyone was shocked/gutted by this, so I can't imagine anyone to have anything earlier.

I quite liked the rooms in the towers. They had painted brick walls so it felt slightly like a prison cell but it had pretty much everything you needed in it and they were a decent size. If you brought loads of posters and stuff, you could make them feel quite homely :smile: but the best thing is the fact that you live with about 15 other people, as that pretty much guarantees you friends
Reply 97
Is essex generally good for science? i dont know much about it, what their research is like etc. Im planning to apply to biological science. Is this course good there?

Is the city nice for shopping and occassional outings?
As I don't study science, someone else will have to help you out there. But I personally find the town lovely. It's really pretty and it has charm, the town centre isn't too far, it takes me 40 mins to walk there, and it's 15-25 mins on the bus (depending on which way it goes). It took me a while to find my way around the town since there's all these alleys and small streets with shops too, but there are all your usual high street stores there. I don't know what you mean by outing, but there is enough to do there. I rarely go off campus anyway other than for the food shop and to go into town since there is enough to do on campus, but there's a cinema there, a castle, restaurants, bars, clubs etc. I've heard some people complain it's too small, so I guess it's what you like and what you're used to, but it has everything you need and I personally think it's nice.
Reply 99
Do you have to pay a deposit when moving into the campus accommodation? I know about the 40 key deposit but just wondered if you had to pay anything else upfront. I want to go into towers, if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending