LSE vs UCL Watch

Xanthe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is this discussion still going on? Jeez...
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No it's not still going on.
You have actually walked through a secret protal to the past and are viewing a thread which has long since died.
lawgrad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Comparing the overall reputation of universities when you want to do a particular course is about as useful as comparing National GDPs when all you want is a nice beach.
The above really has to be the quote of the week.

(Original post by Lawz-)
It only seems to be those at LSE that claim 3rd place... few others would agree.
I get the same impression. I find some LSE students here are really edgy and vehement (almost to the point of aggression) in insisting that LSE is just ever-so-slightly below Oxbridge, but light years ahead of all other British universities.

--------------

(Original post by Lawz-)
although Im not sure how well it will suit my LPC (the worst course in the world by the way).
Oh by the way, nice to see that you're still around. The LPC is the worst course in the world? I TOLD YOU SO! Lol.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xanthe)
You'd be surprised; there are a sizeable number of people who don't wish to pursue a career in Law after taking a Law degree. My sister-in-law for example, decided to pursue a PGCE and then teach primary school children. She didn't want a career in Law because of 'moral issues' (though would have made a very good barrister if she did).
Indeed. My brother did Law at LSE and then decided to whizz around and try a few things... now does IT journalism*

(* been down to his office, they don't work, they get paid to play with gadgets and get buttered up by the PR staff of tech companies :mad: )
Dreama
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
(* been down to his office, they don't work, they get paid to play with gadgets and get buttered up by the PR staff of tech companies :mad: )
Probably why he didn't choose Law then... Any vacancies?
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
Probably why he didn't choose Law then... Any vacancies?
People leave the job once every never.

Employee of the year gets a free trip to the private island, Mustique, of the boss (Felix Dennis). This year, he sits next to my brother. The guy has a deep fear of flying :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Dennis

He's a sound bloke :cool:
Wings_cp
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This "debate" can, and most likey will, go on till my child's child's child applies to uni in the far future, at which point it turns out that one of the unis (be it UCL or LSE) has been destroyed by a long overdue retaliation by Strand Poly and the debate as to "which is better" is most conclusively ended by the one left bloody standing!!!!!

Let's face it. The reason why year after year this has been debated but never once has it yielded an "answer" is not because people are not intelligent enough to see objectively which is better but simpy because it is not possible to come to a definite answer of uni A or uni B. The excellence of the two uni's run parallel with each, and the differences between them has little or no effect.

After all I thought my enemy's enemy is my friend So perhaps those in LSE should stop trying to assert that LSE is better than UCL (especially seeing that they hold fantasy as their premise).. and hand in hand we should walk down the Strand.. and wave a certain member at the Poly as we pass.. preferably not at the same time cos thats just wrong. yukk

Hope those of you in UCL are enjoying our short holiday. Merry Xmas (heres to hooping Santa gives me the answer to the property assignment)
helki
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I cannot believe this debate is still raging! Seems to me just a tad childish. Who really cares THAT much!
LSE law students are obviously going to say LSE (unless you hate it), and UCL students are going to say UCL!!!!
Can't you just agree to disagree, i know you're law students so debate is second nature, but really!!!
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
I say we settle it at sundown on April 1st. Fight to the death of all UCL versus all LSE. Everyone is armed with nothing more than pillows.

Bring it on :cool:
jimmydoerre3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think lse is better. we all use things like teaching or research or alumna to determine which university is best yet at the end of the day perception is the only thing that matters since how do we really compare research and teaching, what criteria should we employ to weigh the superior research of some against the superior teaching of others? if we look at perception or rather aggregate perception as the criteria, oxbridge owns everything and no matter how many famous alumni or head of state lse tries to split out, its not even close to oxbridge. and perception should be used since "better/worse" only truly have an impact in the eyes of others. but in terms of lse vs. ucl, lse seems to have higher recognition by employers since its ranked 4th according to thes for recruiters eye and ucl is far below. i do recognize that rankings are usually trash and ucl should not be that far below lse yet such a huge distance still implies a tiny bit of difference. lse did an amazing job with pr and i think thats what makes it internationally known and much more famous to the common people (in academia its probably about the same). oxbridge, imperial, lse (i know u cant compare imperial and ucl and lse academically since they teach different things) are usually pretty consistent within the rankings while ucl slides around in different rankings so i guess public perception of lse is a bit better and entrance into lse is also a bit harder so i guess other perceive this as lse has better students......................
i wish they didnt make rankings, then we can all go where we wish
different?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So if I ask and where does KCL come into the equation since we're talking about London universities, will the debate rage further? By the way could someone give me an idea of the type of students who tend to go these these universities, eg I was told KCL is full of chavs?
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by different?)
So if I ask and where does KCL come into the equation since we're talking about London universities, will the debate rage further? By the way could someone give me an idea of the type of students who tend to go these these universities, eg I was told KCL is full of chavs?
So what is wrong with chavs ?
Some of my best friends have a fetish for burberry.

In anycase, KCL is not the only uni with lots of chavs.

--------------

(Original post by tiantang)
So your not denying LSE's better overall, finaly sum sense.
Only if you actually want to work in law once you finish your law degree.

If you want to take up basket weaving, working as a school teacher or working in a womens refuge, UCL might be better.
different?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fundamentally)
So what is wrong with chavs ?
Some of my best friends have a fetish for burberry.

In anycase, KCL is not the only uni with lots of chavs.

--------------

Only if you actually want to work in law once you finish your law degree.

If you want to take up basket weaving, working as a school teacher or working in a womens refuge, UCL might be better.
I wasn't making a comment on what i thought of chavs I was just saying that is what i had been told. I mean another example is i've been told that UCL is full of the Oxbridge rejects, and also that it has quite a lot of 'preppy, posh' types. I'm just trying to get an idea of the type of people who choose to go to KCL and UCL, as will potentially be going to one of the two myself, I'm not making a comment on what I think of them. I also know that 1) you can't stereotype what type of people go to certain universities and 2)knowing what type of people go to a said university is not criteria to base a choice on, it's just out of personal interest.
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
KCL isn't full of chavs? Where did you hear that from? :confused:

UCl lawyers are pretty - not necessarily posh. Although this years first years don't compare to the second years, third years or the year just graduating (in my very humble and personal opinion).

Go to the unis to meet the people - that's your best bet. There is no stereotype worth making and both unis are huge - large enough to make sure a niche you really enjoy and diverse enough for you to step out, explore and learn something new, fresh and exciting.

(Disclaimer: but UCL is better than Strand poly natch)
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
UCL and KCL have very similar types of people IMO.
LSE is slightly different because of the large number of foreign students. And by foreign I mean predominantly Asian and Oriental.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who the **** are you, WingsCP?
MissBrightside
Report 13 years ago
KCL isn't full of chavs? Where did you hear that from? :confused:

UCl lawyers are pretty - not necessarily posh. Although this years first years don't compare to the second years, third years or the year just graduating (in my very humble and personal opinion).

(Disclaimer: but UCL is better than Strand poly natch)
w00t!
Teehar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I say we settle it at sundown on April 1st. Fight to the death of all UCL versus all LSE. Everyone is armed with nothing more than pillows.

Bring it on :cool:
hehe LSE have clearly proved their strength by trashing KCL. this challenge is foolish. :p: :p:
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by teehar)
hehe LSE have clearly proved their strength by trashing KCL. this challenge is foolish. :p: :p:
Strand Poly are not in the same league as either of us
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I actually think the first year UCL lawyers are nicer and prettier so there :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?