Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Accommodation: Your Questions Asked! (NOW WITH PICTURES!!!) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I’m currently studying BSc Economics at Sheffield University, and am about to finish my first year. I thought I’d create this little guide to accommodation, along with some photos of the flats. If you have any questions, quote me and I’ll give you a reply!

I’m currently living in the Howden block in the Endcliffe Village, and most of this information will apply to all the new blocks in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. In particular, the information specifically applies to the following blocks:

Endcliffe Village:
    Howden, Derwent, Stanage, Burbage, Rivelin, Yarncliffe, Froggatt, Lawrencefield, Millstone, Curbar

Ranmoor Village:
    Kinder, Windgather, Wimberry, Ramshaw, Ravenstones, Laddow

General information about the buildings:
    The buildings are all of a similar design, and are arranged into flats, and were all constructed in the last 3 years or so. The Endcliffe Village opened in September 2008, and the Ranmoor Village (as far as I’m aware) opened in September 2009.

How Will I Know Where I’m Living?
    When you get your results and confirm your place at Sheffield, you will be able to find out your accommodation allocation through the accommodation section on the Sheffield website, in the same place that you used to applied for accommodation.

How Many People Will Be In My Flat?
    They typically range from 3 people to 12. Most flats I’ve come across are 6, 8, or 10 people. In Howden, for example, most of the flats hold 8 people.

How Do I Know Which Floor I’m On?

Simple: The number of the flat corresponds to the floor, with 1 being the ground floor. The letter is the section of the block, or the entrance that you will use. So D1, for example, is in the D section of the building, and on the ground floor.
    The buildings typically have 5 floors, but if you’re a little lazy, don’t worry, there are lifts in all the buildings!

How Big Are The Rooms?
    The standard ensuite rooms are roughly 5m x 3m. However, there is a little bit, roughly 1.5m x 1.5m cut out of the corner of the room for the bathroom.

What Are The Bathrooms Like?
    They’re wetrooms really. There isn’t a separate shower cubicle, all the water drains away into the middle of the floor, and there’s a shower curtain. It’s all tiled, with a small sink, toilet, and a mirror with a shaving light. (Pics below)

And the Bedroom?
    The furniture is fitted, with a large desk (certainly enough space for a laptop, printer, tv and other bits and bobs), a bookshelf above, a wardrobe, and a pinboard above the desk. The wardrobe isn’t very big, with just one rail on one side (about two-thirds of the width) and 4 shelves on the other side. To be honest, there’s enough space there, and there’s always the large under-bed storage (accessed by lifting the mattress up). There’s also a full length mirror, and a desk light (fluorescent light bulb attached to the underside of the bookshelf).
    The decoration is quite simple. The walls are very light cream (near as dammit white to be honest), with one wall being either red/blue/yellow/green dependent on the flat’s colour scheme. The carpet and pinboard will also be red/blue/yellow/green to match.

Can I Put Posters Up?
    Officially, no.

But most people do, and as long as you don’t damage the paintwork they won’t mind/ever find out!

What’s The Kitchen Like?
    The flat will have a kitchen/dining room/sitting room, with some comfy chairs and a dining table (although some smaller flats may have a breakfast bar instead). There are 2 fridges (or 3 if you’re a flat of 10), one or two ovens and hobs (again, dependent on the number living there), plus a couple of sinks, and plenty of cupboard. There’s roughly enough space for each person to have their own cupboard, but this may vary slightly.

Where Do I Get My Post?
    Each flat has a postbox located on the ground floor of the communal hallway, and a key to unlock it. If there’s a big parcel, they’ll ring the doorbell. If you’re not in, depending on the mood of the postman, they’ll either leave it with another flat, or more likely give you a card telling you to collect it from the sorting office, located up in Crosspool, about 20 minutes’ walk away, but up a very, very steep hill.

Can I See Some Pictures Now?
    Yep, they're a few posts further down the page!

ReputationRep:
    Pictures yet?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for writing this. i know there is no social block but is the ensuites in endcliffe more social than there shared areas. the shared bathroom houses look kinda big and lonely. whereas in the ensuites it all looks cosy and you will meet lots of people there if you just wander up and down the floors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Thanks for writing this. i know there is no social block but is the ensuites in endcliffe more social than there shared areas. the shared bathroom houses look kinda big and lonely. whereas in the ensuites it all looks cosy and you will meet lots of people there if you just wander up and down the floors.
    To be honest, it all depends on who you live with. I know that some people have made friends in other flats next door or upstairs. I personally made a few friends in other buildings around Endcliffe. I obviously can't really comment on the houses, as I haven't been in them. But you should remember that they're right next to the village, so I can't imagine that they're too quiet.

As for the pics, yes I promise I will put them up. I didn't get the chance to take some of the empty flat, but I will post a few of the flat in its - erm... "lived-in" state! Don't worry, they'll be up tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t'economist)
    To be honest, it all depends on who you live with. I know that some people have made friends in other flats next door or upstairs. I personally made a few friends in other buildings around Endcliffe. I obviously can't really comment on the houses, as I haven't been in them. But you should remember that they're right next to the village, so I can't imagine that they're too quiet.

As for the pics, yes I promise I will put them up. I didn't get the chance to take some of the empty flat, but I will post a few of the flat in its - erm... "lived-in" state! Don't worry, they'll be up tomorrow!
    The Economist...!

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry for the slight delay in getting the pictures up, but I had a few technical problems. Hopefully, it should all work now.

I didn't get the chance to take as many pictures of the empty flat as I would have liked, so instead, here's some pictures showing the flat in its - erm... "lived in" state!

My Room, taken from the doorway, showing the wardrobe, desk, chair, and bed. (The bathroom is to the left of this photo).

...And, pretty much the same view, but on moving-out day. Very sad

A closer view of the desk, and pinboard.

The Bathroom, taken from the doorway. This shows the sink, toilet, and shelf and mirror provided. Also provided (out of the shot) are a small bin for the bathroom and a toilet brush).

Another photo of the bathroom again from the doorway, showing the shower control and shelf.

The Kitchen. The number of fridges, cookers etc will vary depending on the number of people in the flat.

The Kitchen and the living room, with dining table and squashy chairs provided.

The corridoor, taken from the main front door to the flat.

The front of the flat, showing the bedroom windows for the 3 rooms on the front (There were 5 rooms on the back of the building). (Boastful writing claiming the greatness of flat not provided! )

ReputationRep:
    Bla bla bla
    Accept my measly reps sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Accept my measly reps sir.
    Gratefully accepted!

ReputationRep:
    The bordeaux red carpet, pinboard and courtains look so much more inviting than the teal-colored stuff over in Ranmoor-- though that's a matter of personal preference, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love walking home and seeing that Carlsberg thing, always made me do a little giggle inside :awesome:

Derwent is exactly the same as that, but blue. And we had 4 fridges, 2 ovens and 2 microwaves between 10 people

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised by the size of these flats. I thought there would be about 5 in a flat. The one I saw on open day had 4 I think.
    Question: How do you guys find living with a lot of people?

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry for the slight delay in getting the pictures up, but I had a few technical problems. Hopefully, it should all work now.

I didn't get the chance to take as many pictures of the empty flat as I would have liked, so instead, here's some pictures showing the flat in its - erm... "lived in" state!

My Room, taken from the doorway, showing the wardrobe, desk, chair, and bed. (The bathroom is to the left of this photo).

You mean that's your "lived in" state? This was mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    I'm surprised by the size of these flats. I thought there would be about 5 in a flat. The one I saw on open day had 4 I think.
    Question: How do you guys find living with a lot of people?
    It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be - there's always people around to talk to, people to go out with, and say if you've stayed up til 3am there's usually someone around that has too.

Bad points were when you had work to do, you could guarantee (in my flat anyway) that there would be a lot of noise, and that there would be people going out and coming back at all hours all noisy (some of my flatmates had a bad habit of hoovering when drunk) so it would sometimes be hard to sleep.

The kitchen was usually in such a state as well, but I quickly learnt to just live with it and clean up my own mess and leave people to theirs. One of my flatmates got saddled with being 'the clean one' and she'd always complain that some of our more messier flatmates kept expecting her to do their washing up and stuff. She was too nice to say no, though...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the info and the photos on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Are the designs of the room consistent across both villages? The Endcliffe one looks good.

ReputationRep:
    This was my room in Derwent in the Endcliffe village, in its lived in state... Yes that is a tube of Pringles on the floor :awesome:

and then when I moved out in the Easter holidays (long story, basically halls weren't really for me)

It's basically the same as where T'Economist lived, but it's blue. And I had more stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    The bordeaux red carpet, pinboard and courtains look so much more inviting than the teal-colored stuff over in Ranmoor-- though that's a matter of personal preference, I guess.
    The rooms either have a red, green, blue or yellow colour scheme in both villages, I drew the short straw and got yellow with a lovely brown carpet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor 419)
    Are the designs of the room consistent across both villages? The Endcliffe one looks good.
    Ranmoor tends to have bigger kitchens and were slightly different in layout in my experience, some of the flats also had 11 people rather than the maximum of 10 that you get in the Froggatt blocks in Endcliffe. The rooms are exactly the same though.

ReputationRep:
    Awh! You live in Howden D1? I can tell! My friends lived there! I lived in C4 in 2008-9 Best year ever

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got their university accommodation acceptance email/letter yet? I got endcliffe!!

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.