The Student Room Group

Philosophy applicants for 2012 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bwsmith190

Good luck everyone! My philosophy degree is the best thing I've ever done - you're all making a brilliant choice that you'll never regret : )

where are you studying?
Original post by lampshade1
where are you studying?

I graduated from Warwick Uni in Philosophy, and I'm doing Legal and Political Theory now at UCL (which is basically just Political Philosophy, but I still feel like a sell-out :smile:)
Reply 442
I graduated from Warwick Uni in Philosophy, and I'm doing Legal and Political Theory now at UCL (which is basically just Political Philosophy, but I still feel like a sell-out :smile:)

Ah, since you're at UCL, can I ask what's the undergraduate teaching like if you know anything about it? :biggrin: How's the department? close-knit? international? Do you think UCL/London is a good place to study philosophy? :biggrin:
Original post by Schlegel
Ah, since you're at UCL, can I ask what's the undergraduate teaching like if you know anything about it? :biggrin: How's the department? close-knit? international? Do you think UCL/London is a good place to study philosophy? :biggrin:

I'm a post-grad so it's kinda hard to tell - but the philosophy department at UCL is probably the best or joint best in the UK especially for Political Philosophy, (I think) Logic and Epistemology. J. Cohen and Dworkin taught there - amongst the most important philosophers/political theorists of the 20th Century. And J. Wolff is also a member of the department.

I can't judge whether it's close-knit since I'm in the School of Political Science technically, but I've met a couple of people who say they really enjoy it. The only potentially negative considerations I can think of is that the library has a pretty poor stock of books and is over-crowded, and you might want to think carefully about whether the strengths of UCL match your preferences (a good tip is to go on the staff's research profiles). Another problem might be that UCL tends to lack teaching time and space, so there is often less than ideal contact time.

But in general, it's an incredible department and a great choice. Every department will have defects, and these are relatively minor problems considering you'll be taught by world-leading philosophers :smile:
Reply 444
Original post by aviete
nah, i'm kinda procrastinating sending the application. maybe i'll add some last minute changes on ps :biggrin: but i've already completed everything, it's just a matter of days, 2 weeks tops.

what about you? i believe it's too early for offers.. esp from st andrews.
which uni would be your first choice?

I sent my application 2weeks ago, so it's to early...
But Essex have asked me for another reference, so it's quite good.
Of course, St Andrews would be my first choice but I don't think I'll be given an offer...

What about you?
Went for my interview at Cambridge today. The whole thing was a really relaxed and quite enjoyable experience in the end! Just waiting for that all important letter in early January now!
Reply 446
Original post by laura94
Good luck! When did you apply? My predictions are A*AB, so equivalent but not quite the same :tongue: My offer is for AAA still.
Let me know if you get an offer!!!!!! Might see you there :smile:

I GOT AN OFFER :biggrin: Could not be happier :smile: yayayayayayayay.. I keep looking at the virtual tour on the kcl website.. It looks amazing!
Offers from York and Sussex! Couldn't be happier (I lied, if I got an offer from KCL then I would be even happier). Good luck with everyone who's also going through the wonderful process of waiting.
Reply 448
Original post by Rhia23
I GOT AN OFFER :biggrin: Could not be happier :smile: yayayayayayayay.. I keep looking at the virtual tour on the kcl website.. It looks amazing!

Yay! Congratulations :biggrin: Will it be your firm?
Reply 449
Original post by laura94
Yay! Congratulations :biggrin: Will it be your firm?

Well Kings or UCL :smile: But I havent heard back from UCL yet.. If i get an offer from both i will have to decide.. But i'm pretty sure it will be Kings to be fair :biggrin:
SO.
got another offer from york, but they raised their entry requirements so they're asking for more than edinburgh. i think i'm sticking with edinburgh.
waiting for heythrop and durham.
earlier this week i got to meet peter vardy and had a whole day of philosophy lectures - UH-MAZING.
Reply 451
Original post by jacksonriddle
SO.
got another offer from york, but they raised their entry requirements so they're asking for more than edinburgh. i think i'm sticking with edinburgh.
waiting for heythrop and durham.
earlier this week i got to meet peter vardy and had a whole day of philosophy lectures - UH-MAZING.

You literally met peter vardy? :eek: that's amazing, I've started to regret having not applied to heythrop in the end.
Original post by Schlegel
You literally met peter vardy? :eek: that's amazing, I've started to regret having not applied to heythrop in the end.

i literally met peter vardy :smile:
it was amazing.
one of my friends has a picture of me with him on their phone
all of them got him to sign their puzzle of ethics book, but me being me didn't have one so i awkwardly asked for a picture and he said "come in for a cuddle!"
:biggrin:

i literally met peter vardy :smile:
it was amazing.
one of my friends has a picture of me with him on their phone
all of them got him to sign their puzzle of ethics book, but me being me didn't have one so i awkwardly asked for a picture and he said "come in for a cuddle!"
:biggrin:

ahhh that's so cool! :biggrin:
Hey,

thought I'd introduce myself here, as it is I'm doing a joint degree, and this is one of them :smile:

I've applied for Linguistics/Philosophy at York, Leeds, Sheffield and Edinburgh, and had an interview for Cambridge for Linguistics last week :smile:
Have offers from York (AAB) Leeds and Sheffield (both ABB) :smile: :smile:

Anyone else doing this combo?! ahahahahaha
Reply 455
Hi guys :smile:

I got a conditional from Queens for Philosophy, has anyone else applied there?
Original post by fexysucker
congrats

i got negged for congratulating someone, ok then :rolleyes:
Original post by Rhia23

Congratulations! When did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Whoracle11
Went for my interview at Cambridge today. The whole thing was a really relaxed and quite enjoyable experience in the end! Just waiting for that all important letter in early January now!

Yes, I felt like that at mine too :smile: which college did you apply to?
Reply 459
Offer from uea (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending