The Student Room Group

Philosophy applicants for 2012 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Anyone still waiting on UCL? Can't believe they're taking SOOOOO long :frown:
Just wondering about people's thoughts on articles like this:

http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless-college-classes-degrees.php

'Philosophy, like sociology and psychology, is one of those degrees that people do when they’re not quite sure what vocation they want to follow . It’s a fun-time four years, open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice, who will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and probably end up working at a convenience store.'

This article groups Philosophy with subjects like 'David Beckham studies', ufology and 'Queer musicolgy'! :frown:

and another one...

http://www.holytaco.com/the-10-most-worthless-college-majors/

'Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: This isn’t ancient Greece: No one is going to pay you money, or allow you to sodomize their attractive son, in exchange for your knowledge of existence. Never has there been an employer who’s said “Man, we’re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers. I took many philosophy classes and it involved reading and smoking a **** pile of weed. You don’t need to pay 20,000 dollars a year to do that. All you need is twenty dollars and a library card.

What Job You’ll End Up With: Thanks to your extensive knowledge of philosophy, you’re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable. So most likely you’ll wait tables part time and hope someone starts paying you for the bi-monthly entries on your blog.'

On the one hand, I know that we shouldn't listen to articles like these because they're written by people who don't really know what they're talking about, but on the other hand, the lack of respect for philosophy is really starting to worry me! I'm getting sick of people saying things like.... 'No offence, but what can you do with a philosophy degree? Other than teach philosophy...' :s-smilie:
Also, Google's autocomplete answers when you type in 'Philosophy is...' are quite depressing! :frown:

Edit: I don't understand why people are liking this?! lol!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 542
Liverpool-Unconditional
Oxford Brookes-Unconditional
Newcastle-still waiting to hear

Which out of those 3 universities would be best to study Philosophy? I am really unsure between Liverpool or Newcastle. Please Help!! Thank you so much.
Reply 543
Original post by fnicholl
Can I get people’s opinion…. I’ve had offers from
KCL AAB (Religion, Philosophy and Ethics)
Nottingham AAB (Philosophy)
Newcastle AAB (Philosophy)
Leeds ABB (Philosophy)
Bristol UWE BBC (Philosophy)

I know I’m definitely going to put Leeds as my 2nd choice and reject Newcastle and UWE but then I have to make the impossible decision between King’s and Nottingham.
Wondering if I could get people’s thoughts….

I think Leeds is a fantastic university and great department. How come you want to decline Newcastle and UWE?
Reply 544
Original post by laura94
It depends! Which course interests you most? They're quite different. Plus would you prefer a green leafy campus or London?

course wise I'm not entirely sure because for straight philosophy at KCL they require AAA, which I'm not going to get hence why i applied for religion, philosophy and ethics.
Originally I thought the Nottingham course was better but I find modules like Plato a little bit tiresome and I feel like I've studied him to death! The modules I enjoy most in philosophy are ethics and applied ethics because I feel they're more relevant and interesting, rather than metaphysics which is interesting but ultimately not as important.
I looked at all the modules Kings offers and the sociology of religion, thinking about evil, applied ethics, philosophy and film etc all look facinating and right up my street but it just the religion/theology side which I don't find as interesting.

Campus... I loved nottingham campus when I visited because I've always lived in the countryside but on the other hand i LOVE london, literally my favourite place. And I would quite like to be in the city.

I guess my biggest worry with KCL is the social life, I KNOW if I go to Nottingham or Leeds I'll have an amazing time and be with like minded people who like to go out and have a good time. I just worry that if I am at King's the social side won't be as good

Sorry about writing so much!
Reply 545
Original post by grachorr
I think Leeds is a fantastic university and great department. How come you want to decline Newcastle and UWE?

yeah i agree I've been to Leeds twice now and love it. I honestly won't care if I dont get my first choice because I know I'll be so happy at Leeds.

I'm going to decline Newcastle because....
1) it's so rediculously far away, my parents live in Dubai and I have family in the UK (south and midlands) and it would be such a trek to get home, I'd have to fly from Glasgow or Manchester.
2) Reputation wise... Nottingham and KCL are better. I know you shouldn't pick somewhere on its rep but I guess you have to get a job at the end.
3) The course. I know Philosophy is meant to be really good at Newcastle but it simply didnt interest me.. they focus of philosophical texts rather than studying topics.

Its a shame to reject newcastle because i love it when I went up there, the nightlife was INSANE!! and the locals were really friendly.

I'm rejecting UWE because I never wanted to go there I just put it in because I needed a BBC choice.
Reply 546
course wise I'm not entirely sure because for straight philosophy at KCL they require AAA, which I'm not going to get hence why i applied for religion, philosophy and ethics.
Originally I thought the Nottingham course was better but I find modules like Plato a little bit tiresome and I feel like I've studied him to death! The modules I enjoy most in philosophy are ethics and applied ethics because I feel they're more relevant and interesting, rather than metaphysics which is interesting but ultimately not as important.
I looked at all the modules Kings offers and the sociology of religion, thinking about evil, applied ethics, philosophy and film etc all look facinating and right up my street but it just the religion/theology side which I don't find as interesting.

Campus... I loved nottingham campus when I visited because I've always lived in the countryside but on the other hand i LOVE london, literally my favourite place. And I would quite like to be in the city.

I guess my biggest worry with KCL is the social life, I KNOW if I go to Nottingham or Leeds I'll have an amazing time and be with like minded people who like to go out and have a good time. I just worry that if I am at King's the social side won't be as good

Sorry about writing so much!

It sounds like quite a tough decision! Have you found out how much religion/theology modules you'll have to take at KCL? Because if you could just take the modules in philosophy and ethics it may be perfect for you. Also, see if you can go to the department open days?
What made you worry about the king's social life?
Reply 547
Original post by laura94
It sounds like quite a tough decision! Have you found out how much religion/theology modules you'll have to take at KCL? Because if you could just take the modules in philosophy and ethics it may be perfect for you. Also, see if you can go to the department open days?
What made you worry about the king's social life?

I know... well its in the religion and theology faculty so everything has a religious undertone (which is ok). I enjoy RS at A level and find Philosophy of religion, existence of god, miracles, life after death etc really interesting but I really dont want to do a module in "Introductory New Testament Greek with Texts"...fun! Luckily none of the modules at King's are compulsory so I can pick which ones I want.

Yeah I'm going for an open day in March which should be good. I just worried about the social life because everyone knows the "party" unis - Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool etc. I just worry that because the uni is so spread out and the accomodation is all over London it won't have that studenty buzz or a feeling of community. Also it has loads of international and mature students so the culture/age difference means that they may not be interested in going out every other night.
Reply 548
I know... well its in the religion and theology faculty so everything has a religious undertone (which is ok). I enjoy RS at A level and find Philosophy of religion, existence of god, miracles, life after death etc really interesting but I really dont want to do a module in "Introductory New Testament Greek with Texts"...fun! Luckily none of the modules at King's are compulsory so I can pick which ones I want.

Yeah I'm going for an open day in March which should be good. I just worried about the social life because everyone knows the "party" unis - Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool etc. I just worry that because the uni is so spread out and the accomodation is all over London it won't have that studenty buzz or a feeling of community. Also it has loads of international and mature students so the culture/age difference means that they may not be interested in going out every other night.

Haha well I hope the KCL student life is good! It's where I'm going.. hopefully anyway. :smile: Go to the open days and then see what you think!
I know there are a few others who applied to St Andrews, has anybody had a reply yet?
Reply 550
Original post by electric-wars
I know there are a few others who applied to St Andrews, has anybody had a reply yet?

Nope, not yet.
Reply 551
Original post by Schlegel
Anyone still waiting on UCL? Can't believe they're taking SOOOOO long :frown:

I am :frown: I really they reply before March, since January exam results come out then.
Original post by XxelliexX
Just wondering about people's thoughts on articles like this:

okay first of all: holytaco.com ?! :-D thats not exactly what I would call a sophisticated source. prospective employers will have enough brains to know that a philosophy degree isnt the same as a degree in "Star Trek Studies" :-D.
When I informed myself of the job prospects with a philo degree I read a lot of articles about how more and more employers begin to value the skills gained through the study of philosophy... logical thinking, problem solving...

“Man, we’re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers."
As to quote the cartoonist Charles M. Schulz: "there is a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker"
Some people obviously arent aware of this difference... the person who wrote that problem solving means drawing conclusion from what Siddartha Gautama said is one of these people.

Anyway, are you worried about finding a job at all or about the lack of respect for philosophy?
Either way, i wouldnt worry about it too much.
Surely it wont be as easy for a philosophy student to find a job as it is for a economics student.. but its the same with all humanities subjects and if you try hard there are a lot of options..journalism, research..
And about the lack of respect..
as I said most prospective employers will know the value of a philosophy degree, and you shouldnt care about the people writing for holytaco.com or toptenz.net who mistake philosophy for the reading and writing of bumper stickers.
I personally have a lack of respect for people who work somewhere only for the sake of making money, even though the job is making them miserable.
"you’re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable"..yeah well, at least we ARE aware of that ;-)
Reply 553
Original post by Vestada
Nope, not yet.

I am still waiting too...:K:
Original post by Danz123
I am :frown: I really they reply before March, since January exam results come out then.

Don't worry about it: I was told I was "recommended for an offer" in January, but it only came through as a Conditional on Track earlier today (Philosophy & Economics).
Reply 555
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Don't worry about it: I was told I was "recommended for an offer" in January, but it only came through as a Conditional on Track earlier today (Philosophy & Economics).

Well that makes me a little more hopeful. :smile: Do you know any other people who were 'recommended for an offer' so far? Do you have to be 'recommended for an offer' to actually get an offer? To be honest I haven't heard other universities do this, usually you either get an offer or you don't [which goes without saying].
Original post by Danz123
Well that makes me a little more hopeful. :smile: Do you know any other people who were 'recommended for an offer' so far? Do you have to be 'recommended for an offer' to actually get an offer? To be honest I haven't heard other universities do this, usually you either get an offer or you don't [which goes without saying].

No, I haven't heard of any others receiving it. It was a message regarding the entrance exam I sat (maybe only a few of those messages were sent out?) I wouldn't make the assumption that you'd need the recommendation for an offer, though; one could perform terribly on the exam but have an immaculate academic record - the recommendation email seemed like it was orientated primarily around the exam.
Reply 557
No, I haven't heard of any others receiving it. It was a message regarding the entrance exam I sat (maybe only a few of those messages were sent out?) I wouldn't make the assumption that you'd need the recommendation for an offer, though; one could perform terribly on the exam but have an immaculate academic record - the recommendation email seemed like it was orientated primarily around the exam.

Would it be erroneous to assume that they will not give out any more recommendations? If they're primarily about exam performance, then I probably didn't do so well if they aren't sending out anymore.
Original post by Danz123
Would it be erroneous to assume that they will not give out any more recommendations? If they're primarily about exam performance, then I probably didn't do so well if they aren't sending out anymore.

I don't think it would. How were your predictions?
Reply 559
I don't think it would. How were your predictions?

My A-level predictions are:

A*[Politics]
A*[English Language and literature]
A [Economics]

I actually thought the exam went quite well, other than the fact that I had to change pens at roughly Q4 from a normal black ballpoint to a much inkier version. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending