Can you eat at other colleges? Watch

roland
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
This is probably obvious but is it possible to eat some of your meals at colleges like Merton and Lincoln which are supposed to have great food? (Provided you pay of course.)
OldMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by roland)
This is probably obvious but is it possible to eat some of your meals at colleges like Merton and Lincoln which are supposed to have great food? (Provided you pay of course.)
Generally yes, but only as the guest of a member of the college.
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
During my stay at Oxford I did sneak in and have a meal at Wadham, which was absolutely gorgous. I am taking that this is generally not allowed then
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Christina)
During my stay at Oxford I did sneak in and have a meal at Wadham, which was absolutely gorgous. I am taking that this is generally not allowed then
no, but during my interview i chowdowned at BNC, ChCh, New, Hertford. LMH is far better than all thsoe tho...
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are now my idol.
THeodora
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
wow oh man who's the daddy now
zoraster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by El Chueco)
no, but during my interview i chowdowned at BNC, ChCh, New, Hertford. LMH is far better than all thsoe tho...
wow, steve! Now I know why you REALLY picked LMH.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh, when i stay on for interviews next year, well, i wonder how many halls one can do in two weeks... need to find a partner in crime tho...
fatboy06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by El Chueco)
yeh, when i stay on for interviews next year, well, i wonder how many halls one can do in two weeks... need to find a partner in crime tho...
lol I'm up for that...well I'm not intending to stay next year, maybe in my second year...
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I enjoy my food.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
I just ate at Lincoln. Every single night. And I liked it. Yeah.
Calymath
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The meals at Wadham were ok, breakfasts and lunch's were v. good. As for evening meal it was tasty enough, though there wasn't enough of it. Quantity not quality, that's what I always say!
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There was one night where I had this gorgous chocolate cake at Wadham, it was delicious. Food at St. Peters was ok.
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the lincoln chocolate cakes were so so gooood
*thinks longingly of cake*
Calymath
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by richardrox)

Chocolate cake??? That's not fair! I got bloody grey salmon with fruit salad for desert!!!

Right, that's it, I launching an official complaint... :p:
Seconded! I demand a higher calorie diet!

My salmon wasn't grey though. You must have got an old one :p:
sjuthani
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Teddy Hall had pretty shocking food, but its OK, my best mate got into Lincoln, so I'll be over at his all the time!
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Chocolate cake??? That's not fair! I got bloody grey salmon with fruit salad for desert!!!

Right, that's it, I launching an official complaint... :p:
I think you should. That sounds absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, the chocolate cake was large and the best I have ever had :rolleyes:
Christina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

That's it, rub it in why don't you...
:p:
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Richard,
All this goes to show you should have applied to Lincoln. The two different types of chocolate cake were both fantastic, the peach melba was delicious, the eves pudding again was mouth watering. The main courses were great, too.

And on top of all that, you'd have all the cool lincoln people to hang out with!
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lincoln food isn't all that great! Basically, we have exactly the same food for first hall and formal hall (which is every night)....so.....our normal hall is 3courses and is way better than most normal halls at other colleges - it's not greasy fried food and is supposedly the healthiest of all the colleges. However, our formal hall is therefore very poor compared to most other colleges that put on special food for formal!

Regarding eating at other colleges, it's only possible if you have a friend who invites you or you get invited on a crew date. My little summary of halls I've been too:

Lincoln - like I said above. Normal hall good (guests can come), formal hall poor compared to others
Hertford - Good formal hall
Univ - Again good formal hall, although they say a grace at the end as well as beginning!
Queen's - I've only been to an MCR Guest Night, and the food was fairly good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some others
BNC - Poor for formal hall. Very odd combination of food - breadcrumb coated chicken kiev with pasta!!! Again, has similar system to Lincoln I believe
New - Only ate their during interviews....food seemed generally quite fried. Can't comment on Formal hall
Mansfield - best formal hall I've been to (been twice and both occaisions lovely). Strange atmosphere though - small and quite bright hall, doesn't have same atmosphere as others, but food is very good!

I think that's the only colleges I've eaten at, but I may have lost count! lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
31.03%
No (40)
68.97%

Watched Threads