League Tables Question... Watch

Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I was just wondering why different league tables have major differences between them, I mean for example a uni for a certain course is 6th by the Guardian, and that same uni with The Times is around 50th...why the differences?

And does anyone know when the next set of league tables will be published?

All contributions/info much appreciated...
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't trust the Guardian, stick to a sensible paper like the Telegraph (or the Times if you're desperate).
Poica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd use and trust the Times - I don't trust the Guardian or the Telegraph because of the overt bias.
tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The league tables have differences because they determine on the basis of different things. I ignore them. I have said this elsewhere on this forum:
Now, now. Arguing about where universities lie on the Platonic league table in the sky is a ridiculous practice and will only lead to some nasty psychological illness. The idea that if we can just tweak this and fiddle that, and compile all these stats, and we'll have a list which will tell us everything we ever want to know about a university - taking in to account the cleanliness of the toilets in the Classics department, the average repair time for leather patches on tweed jackets at the local cleaners, the decibels emanating from the S.U., the puffiness of the academic standards, the number of young faculty members with breast implants, crime rate, number of times Michael Jackson has exposed himself in the quadrangle during an open day for primary school students, the quality of the sandwiches for sale by the corner shop, how often chocolate is offered as a reward for lecture attendance, how many anti-Bush posters are hanging in the common room and, of course, the price for a pint.

The idea of a University Hit Parade like we have for top 40 singles is a myth. Let's leave the myth chasing to our elected leaders, while we get our heads down to passing our degrees.
Reloaded
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
don't trust any uni league tables. they are worse than the FIFA world rankings.. (well, almost)..
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go to the university that is right for you, not because it comes highly in a table. It varies between subjects and years and non are reliable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads