With/Without Honours...What does it mean?? Watch

Chi-sama
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm applying from the US and I got an email from Queen Mary asking me to send my qualifications. They asked me if my qualification is with or without honours. Here's the situation: I have a 2-year Associate in Science degree, and I am currently doing political science at the University of Oklahoma. I have a 3.8 GPA for my Science degree and I'm expecting a 4.0 from this year. Can anyone tell me what the with/without honours thing is all about and how I could explain my qualification in relation to this question? :confused:

Applying for Law LLB btw.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do british unis, york oxford etc give BA's only? because on the trinity college dublin prospectus it says 4 year course for Ba with hons, is this significant?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope I have a BA hons

I'm sure they do honours at most UK unis.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've often wondered the difference too...I hope someone more learned can enlighten us!
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
I've often wondered the difference too...I hope someone more learned can enlighten us!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t185041.html
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do some universities not give out ordinaries then?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was under the impression that the honours part was for the dissertation? I should really find out since mine is an honours degree.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Some universities grant with Hons for students who've recieved a passing mark in all/a minimum number of modules.
Surely you can't graduate unless you have passed all your modules anyway? At least you can't at UoP.
moloman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you got an email from QMUL? i'm an international applicant too...waited a while for their admission...but never had an email sent to me....just wondering if you use your hotmail account or what not...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Out of my group 25 failed (due to cheating), 60 passed with honours and one passed without honours.

It seems to be very very rare that you can pass without honours these days. You either to seem pass with honours or fail completely.
Chi-sama
Rep:
?
yes, I use hotmail. They emailed me when they received my application and again when they asked the with/without honours question.
moloman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes.....in life sciences at University of Toronto (which is where i'm at)...you can only come out with an honors....you can't grad without it.....that's what i heard...
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some places grade you as 1st with honours, 2.1 with honours, 2.2 with honours, 3 with honours, ordinary degree without honours and fail.
AlphaNumeric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Thats how it's done practically everywhere I think (I don't know of anywhere that doesn't).

If you pass every year, you get honours. If you don't pass a year then the university/department can deem you to have done sufficent work to merit going on to the next year, but you are then unable to get honours in your degree, even if you got top 1st in your final year (though unlikely). I doubt many places would let you stay on into your 3rd year if you got marks which warrant "without honours" two years in a row, it shows a lack of work ethic.
Chi-sama
Rep:
?
Oh i see.... so i've passed all of my courses. Does that mean I got honours? :confused:
jessiek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Doesn't your uni give out honors? Some has like honors like *** laude...summa *** laude.. stuff like that..Is that the american equivalent?
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by *soph*)
Some places grade you as 1st with honours, 2.1 with honours, 2.2 with honours, 3 with honours, ordinary degree without honours ...
'ordinary' degree without honours otherwise known as 'pass'
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
I was under the impression that the honours part was for the dissertation? I should really find out since mine is an honours degree.
My degree is with honours and I didn't do an undergraduate dissertation.
moloman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i wonder if any international applicants are getting offers....i feel so frustrated looking at track....
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads