The Student Room Group

Most versatile degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by logic123
Neuroscience UCL - the amount of scientific journals you have to read through for first year - not to mention we have to do second year modules in our first year - puts us ahead of the game - and DONT say medicine - as the medics in third year cover what we do in first year - so i beg to differ

Versatile =/= difficult.
Original post by Planar
Ever heard of stats?

Most boring part of modern economics and social sciences in general trying to pass themselves off as science by including a crapload of math.
Natural Sciences I'd say, because you can do the maths and physics but combine it with a language/english/economics etc, while still finishing with a masters in, say, mathematical physics. But then I'm biased.
I have to say Physics. It provides people with a staggering amount of versatility in terms of skills. Maths, Essay writing, programming, referencing, researching etc.
something like chemistry or engineering....as it allows you to enter both mathematical/scientific careers, but also others such as IB, civil service etc.
Something scientific, I'd say. You can go into pretty much anything? Plus it's interesting too - definitely would have developed the skills further if I had any sort of scientific ability.
Reply 46
Original post by Theconomist
Most boring part of modern economics and social sciences in general trying to pass themselves off as science by including a crapload of math.

Oh dear.
Original post by im so academic
But a BSc in Physics will serve as good preparation for MEng Engineering (as a second degree in whatever specific discipline).

That doesn't relate to my point. Anyone from any undergraduate degree discipline could take a second degree in an engineering discipline (I know one or two at my uni doing just that, coming from a humanities background).
Original post by Planar
Ever heard of stats?

I meant pure scientific research, not statistical research, not social science research.

E.g. Quantum Chemistry or High-energy Physics.
Original post by Joinedup
Isn't MEng only a 4/5 year first degree?
can you show me an example of a Postgrad MEng on offer anywhere?

There's something called doing two undergraduate degrees.
Original post by Smack
That doesn't relate to my point. Anyone from any undergraduate degree discipline could take a second degree in an engineering discipline (I know one or two at my uni doing just that, coming from a humanities background).

The fact is with Physics you *can* go into Engineering. Sure it may not allow you to become Chartered, but if you wanted Chartership, you would've done Engineering in the first place. Same principle with being a doctor - you would've done Medicine in the first place.
Reply 51
Geography - cross between social and natural sciences, so surely versatile
maths/sciencey thingies - engineering

arts - history.
Reply 53
I'd say maths or economics.. but that's because I'm a mathematician and economist...
Original post by im so academic
The fact is with Physics you *can* go into Engineering. Sure it may not allow you to become Chartered, but if you wanted Chartership, you would've done Engineering in the first place. Same principle with being a doctor - you would've done Medicine in the first place.

You are being misleading with your wording as it implies that physics graduates have the same prospects in the engineering field as engineering graduates when this is absolutely not the case. Anyone - degree or not - can be an engineer and call themselves an engineer, but only people with accredited engineering qualifications can become professional engineers, except in very rare circumstances that do not apply to people without PhDs.
Geography is up there i'd say. And i am a medic
Reply 56
Psychology has a combination of maths, writing, research and presentation skills, among other things, so that's pretty versatile I'd say because there's not a sole focus on one of them, you study all of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smack
You are being misleading with your wording as it implies that physics graduates have the same prospects in the engineering field as engineering graduates when this is absolutely not the case. Anyone - degree or not - can be an engineer and call themselves an engineer, but only people with accredited engineering qualifications can become professional engineers, except in very rare circumstances that do not apply to people without PhDs.

Of course they do not!

Of course you need an accredited engineering degree to become chartered. Don't assume I know less than you may think of me. I'm not stupid.

The fact is, doing Physics will not prevent you from going into Engineering (that doesn't necessarily mean being chartered). If I recall correctly, there are chartered engineers out there who already hold a BSc in Physics.
PPE seems versatile. You could go into teaching, law, finance, journalism, even medicine apparently(so I've heard)
Maths, Physics and Engineering. High mathematical ability can be applied to many different jobs and is valued by employers.

Quick Reply

Latest