Napoleon series: Trafalgar never existed? Watch

SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

I've recently been watching this European super-production on the emperor/dictator. Keeping in mind that it's only a TV series, I've tried to not take it too seriously but I'm a bit uncomfortable about how he is depicted: he's shown in a very (maybe too) positive light. Anything that could be used against him are brushed away:

- The fact he oppressed foreign peoples: here he only conquered them to offer them peace :rolleyes:
- The fact he cheated on his wife and his wife cheated on him: he was simply a passionate man
- The fact he had quite a few military failures: for example in Egypt. Instead they show Napoleon (a military leader obsessed with military successes) coming back from Egypt more interested in Egyptian culture :rolleyes: As if he didn't even go to win...
- It became too much when, in 1806, 3 seconds are dedicated to the Battle of Trafalgar (which could tarnish the emperor's image after all) where Napoleon is in his room talking to his mistress and simply brushes a map away saying "Trafalgar never actually existed".

This reminds me of the terrible film "Joan of Arc" where Joan of Arc is shown as some kind of angelic figure and any Englishman is a rapist.

Anyway, after all that ranting about the series (which is still worth seeing), how can there be any claim that the Battle of Trafalgar never took place?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

I've recently been watching this European super-production on the emperor/dictator. Keeping in mind that it's only a TV series, I've tried to not take it too seriously but I'm a bit uncomfortable about how he is depicted: he's shown in a very (maybe too) positive light. Anything that could be used against him are brushed away:

- The fact he oppressed foreign peoples: here he only conquered them to offer them peace :rolleyes:
- The fact he cheated on his wife and his wife cheated on him: he was simply a passionate man
- The fact he had quite a few military failures: for example in Egypt. Instead they show Napoleon (a military leader obsessed with military successes) coming back from Egypt more interested in Egyptian culture :rolleyes: As if he didn't even go to win...
- It became too much when, in 1806, 3 seconds are dedicated to the Battle of Trafalgar (which could tarnish the emperor's image after all) where Napoleon is in his room talking to his mistress and simply brushes a map away saying "Trafalgar never actually existed".

This reminds me of the terrible film "Joan of Arc" where Joan of Arc is shown as some kind of angelic figure and any Englishman is a rapist.

Anyway, after all that ranting about the series (which is still worth seeing), how can there be any claim that the Battle of Trafalgar never took place?
It did take place. One of my ancestors took part in it.
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There can't it is typically historical revisionism used to promote nationalism. The way Churchill is portrayed in many British dramas is a similar example.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
It did take place. One of my ancestors took part in it.
Indeed, considering the number of people who took part, I find it strange that such a claim could be made. I am quite sure that he makes the claim that the Battle of Trafalgar didn't happen. Even that isn't the claim that's made, there's no question that the series is trying to change history: the expedition to Egypt was not at all a military failure because Napoleon went there to discover Egyptian culture :rolleyes: and 3 seconds just to mention something about Trafalgar.

Despite these reproaches I'm making, it seems to be more historically exact and less affected by caricature as any Hollywood films: you just have the stiff British officer on St Helena who is trying to get into Napoleon's house (of course we don't want to give the impression that Napoleon was kept as a prisoner by the British).
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Two things spring to mind...

1. "Churchill - the Hollywood Years"
2. Holocaust denial
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most people wouldn't like a movie where the protoganist wasn't all-powerful and someone that they wouldn't generally empathize with.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)

Er, it's a joke actually- a reference to Gance's great silent film of 1927, where there's a similar scene, showing Napoleon's vaingloriousness. Which film about Joan of Arc do you mean? The fact is that the goddamns really were a bunch of murderous half-starved thugs who probably only didn't commit rape because they were too tired or hungry or suffered from dysentery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
31.58%
No (39)
68.42%

Watched Threads