Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I looked on my application this evening and found that your personal statement is availlable online. However mine is not the same as the one I submitted, it's got several grammatical errors which weren't there before... "as a results" instead of "as a result". Now the uni's will think I'm a cretin who can't spell when it's actually a member of UCAS staff with the problem!

Grrrrrrrrrr *rant over*

ReputationRep:
    I don't think UCAS changed your PS!! Maybe you didn't save the latest version on ucas apply??

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like your own fault - you can't blame UCAS for everything, especially your own incompetance. Now I'm not saying that UCAS are perfect but people here are blaming it for everything when, on the whole, it's doing a pretty decent job this year.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the dudes above, something about ucas changing the grammar in your PS sounds slightly strange,but nevertheless, with ucas you never know..

ReputationRep:
    UCAS won't touch your personal statement so how could it possibly change? Someone do it for a joke or something?

Actually this sounds like a thread taking the mickey out of people who complain about UCAS all the time. If not, I'm afraid it probably wasn't UCAS. I'm sure, however, that unis won't mind a few mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    i made a minor mistake in my ps by missing out 2 words which screwed the sentence up, though i only realised after i'd got an offer and checked my personal details on track

ReputationRep:
    There is a warning about potential changes to your PS if you don't save or something before editing it on the actual apply site. Perhaps that's what you did, I know I had a few problems with a £ sign.

It doesn't seemingly matter now anyway, you have 3 interviews and so I don't really get the point of this. Either the universities received your personal statement as it was or they don't care about the odd mistake. I'm tempted to think the former. You could always ring UCAS up and find out instead of having a go on a student forum.
    (Original post by LH)
    Now I'm not saying that UCAS are perfect but people here are blaming it for everything when, on the whole, it's doing a pretty decent job this year.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    You think you put in the 'perfect' PS in but actually you didn't.
    I had at least 5 different copies of my PS on my computer.
    Did you look at your PS during the Review process of your PS when you did your application?

ReputationRep:
    every version of my PS i noticed a mistake in one sentance, that I always thougth I corrected but it always seemed to come back lol. Its in my final statement too lol.
    "I greatly enjoy learning and understanding the logic behind how the programs we create."

ReputationRep:
    Nope I have a copy of the form I submitted to UCAS. It was a paper application and they've had to type it up to get it online and in doing so have made mistakes :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know they still accepted paper forms this year! How come you didn't apply online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhiddynUK)
    On my Modern Languages personal statement I was annoyed to find that all letters containing accents, such as 'é and è' had totally been omitted, so I was saying how I had read 'Les Misrables'. Very annoying. Foolish people!!
    UCAS can't process accenting characters, luckily I took mine out before I sent my application. I guess the unis know though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Nope I have a copy of the form I submitted to UCAS. It was a paper application and they've had to type it up to get it online and in doing so have made mistakes :mad:
    Well you should have done it via the internet then. This allows you the total control over your own application so you don't have to rely on the admin staff who probably didn't relish the idea of typing up a few hundred personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne*UK*06)
    Oh, I didn't know they still accepted paper forms this year!
    I think this is the last year, then good riddance! not that it'll matter to any of us...

ReputationRep:
    Probably your own issue not UCAS. I thought I had a flawless PS - had it checked over ten million times it felt like - but then I realised (after it was at universities and couldn't be edited) that I'd spelt Melvyn Bragg as Melvin

Spelling mistakes do happen. Thankfully I realised the accent thing for French when I saw 'Les Petits Enfants du Sicle' though.

ReputationRep:
    There have actually been mistakes with personal statements this year that have been UCAS's fault, it said so on their website a few days ago i noticed. Didn't read into it much as I couldn't see anything wrong with mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Well you should have done it via the internet then. This allows you the total control over your own application so you don't have to rely on the admin staff who probably didn't relish the idea of typing up a few hundred personal statements.
    Blame my school not me. They decided to do paper applications

ReputationRep:
    UCAS have changed my 'occupational backgroud' !!!!

I got my track info through today and I checked and the occupational background is different and says my mum has a really crappy job!Arggh!

But I'm guessing it makes no difference so I'm not going to fuss over it.

ReputationRep:
    I know, they changed mine too! I put my dad as a 'builder', because that is basically what he is and I couldn't think of anything to make it sound good. But now it is put as 'construction trades n.e.c.'. ooer, sounds a bit posher doesn't it!! lol

ReputationRep:
    But my one isn't even related.It says she's like,an administrator,which she isn't even remotely one at all!She works for the security services so WTF.

Stupid UCAS!YOU SUCK!Ha.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.