The Student Room Group

want to self teach a level maths

Basically, i'm current studying computer science and would like to teach myself a - level maths. Then I want to take an exam at an examination centre close to where i live.

I really need an a-level in maths if i want to pursue the career that i would like to go into.

I havife read the specifications from dferent exam boards and I have decided to the following modules C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and D1.

so i've got some questions for people who have taught them-sleves, done or are currently doing a - level maths

Is a lot of effort required?
Is it easy to self teach A level maths?
Which exam board do you recommend?

and the big question.....WHERE DO I START? I'm guessing...start with c1 then move on to c2 and then s1....then take the AS exam. Then do C3, C4 and D1...then the A2 exam???

Also, i dont know the starting point for each module. which topic within c1 do i do first etc......

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am also thinking about doing this. Im going to get some textbooks and work my way through them. As long as you know the basics it should be okay. I practically taught myself the last module of chemistry this year (dont go college) so should be able to do maths aswell

Which maths do you want to do. Further, Maths with stats or maths with mechanics.

Further maths involves C1 C2 C3 C4 FP1 FP2 S1 S2 M1 M2 D1 not sure about a D2.
Maths with Stats = C1 C2 S1 C3 C4 S2
Maths with mech = C1 C2 M1 C3 C4 M2

I did OCR Maths with stats but did not pay attention and got chucked out. Regret it now but i know it goes C1 C2 S1 (AS) then C3 C4 S2 + S3 or D1 (A2) Hope this helps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Do edexcel maths and if you want to learn go to www.examsolutions.co.uk I think thats the right website. If you cant find it go to google and search it and you'll find it.

The guy teaches most of the topics upto C4 and it also includes S1 and S2
Reply 3
First & foremost, I'd recommend OCR. AQA A level's hard, and Edexcel's range of applied modules isn't great.

If you're going standard A-level, not Further, then yes you'll have to do C1, C2, C3, & C4, then 2 more applied modules out of M1, M2, S1, S2, D1, D2 (Let's ignore the third and forth Mechanics/Stats modules because they're mental).

If you're self-teaching, I'd recommend sitting a Core unit per exam series, and an applied module every series bar the last. That means in Jan '12 you do C1 + an Applied, then in Summer C2 + another Applied, Jan '13 C3 + a final Applied, and June '13 just C4.

This'll give you adequate opportunity to resit any Core units you don't get right first time, and take the pressure off for C4, whilst still giving you a 'spare' Applied unit in case you don't do well in one.

In terms of Applied modules, doing M1, S1, & D1'll be your safest bet; if you start with M1, that'll go best with C1 as (in my opinion) M1 takes the most learning out of the three, and C1's not mind-bending if you did well at GCSE :smile:
Best of luck OP :yy:
I'm planning to do this, just because I was really good at Maths when I was younger but stopped bothering in like year 7 so want to see if I can still do it. Plus, it can't hurt my job prospects to prove I'm numerate. :smile:
I would recommend getting a private tutor. I don't do A-Level Maths but I know people who have self-taught it and they say it was quite difficult to understand certain concepts just using textbooks etc. A private tutor maybe once a week could go over the difficult concepts with you. I also recommend:
Academicearth.org
Khan Academy
MIT Open Courseware

Best of luck OP!
Reply 7
I'd have to agree, maybe even getting a tutor once a fortnight for the stickier issues, or particular problems you come across.

I'd be tempted to say C1, D1 and S1 wouldn't be awful hard to to teach yourself, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Student21

I am also thinking about doing this. Im going to get some textbooks and work my way through them. As long as you know the basics it should be okay. I practically taught myself the last module of chemistry this year (dont go college) so should be able to do maths aswell

Which maths do you want to do. Further, Maths with stats or maths with mechanics.

Further maths involves C1 C2 C3 C4 FP1 FP2 S1 S2 M1 M2 D1 not sure about a D2.
Maths with Stats = C1 C2 S1 C3 C4 S2
Maths with mech = C1 C2 M1 C3 C4 M2

I did OCR Maths with stats but did not pay attention and got chucked out. Regret it now but i know it goes C1 C2 S1 (AS) then C3 C4 S2 + S3 or D1 (A2) Hope this helps

i'm thinking of doing maths with stats because i like stats. Can't i do a mixture. for example c1,c2, s1 then c3,c4, d1 so its maths with stats n decisions
Original post by kingady
i'm thinking of doing maths with stats because i like stats. Can't i do a mixture. for example c1,c2, s1 then c3,c4, d1 so its maths with stats n decisions

Pretty sure you can do that....
Reply 10
I self teach further maths, with the edexcel exam board.. which I would not recommend as the accompanying books are full off errors! And it's very hard to spot them when you are following them word for word because they are your only source of knowledge..

Ive done D1 self taught, and there is not a whole lot of resources for it out there on the web, (although I did notice, annoyingly for me, OCR exam board had more resources).

If you like stats, you can do s1 and s2 instead of s1 and d1, if you like. I've done s2, and preferred it to d1. (Edit!! I see you are doing computer science! D2 has what I would call computer science in it, when I was looking for help on youtube computer science lectures kept appearing. Don't know why I thought you liked stats...)

C1-C4 will be covered on the internet, someone suggested examsolutions - awesome site. S1 is also on there, and M1 is also readily covered.

As for when you take them, at my school they did it over 2 years,(C1 jan, C2 and S1 May and the next year C3 Jan, M1 May, C4 Jun). Im doing the further in one year, taking 3 in winter, and then 3 resists (yes I did well...) and 3 more in summer.

If you have someone to take your questions to, it should be fine. I don't and it's very stressful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by kingady
Basically, i'm current studying computer science and would like to teach myself a - level maths. Then I want to take an exam at an examination centre close to where i live.

I really need an a-level in maths if i want to pursue the career that i would like to go into.

I havife read the specifications from dferent exam boards and I have decided to the following modules C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and D1.

so i've got some questions for people who have taught them-sleves, done or are currently doing a - level maths

and the big question.....WHERE DO I START? I'm guessing...start with c1 then move on to c2 and then s1....then take the AS exam. Then do C3, C4 and D1...then the A2 exam???

Also, i dont know the starting point for each module. which topic within c1 do i do first etc......

Thanks

Buy the textbook and go through it chapter by chapter. I'm doing aqa, the first thing we did was minimum points, but it varies with exam boards. I like aqa, because they guide you through the question, I'd avoid ocr, have heard that they are difficult. In terms of effort, I'd say c1 and c2 are very easy. Most people utterly depise c3 and c4. What I hate about d1 is how you have to keep drawing stuff, which can be time consuming, I actually ran out of time in my exam, which didn't ever happen with my other exams.
Reply 12
Original post by kingady

Im not too sure because i did not go into second year but when i was speaking to mates they had a choice of doing either S3 or D1. You have a choice as you can actually mix and match as you can apply to do only papers that you want to do.

Original post by kashim91
Buy the textbook and go through it chapter by chapter. I'm doing aqa, the first thing we did was minimum points, but it varies with exam boards. I like aqa, because they guide you through the question, I'd avoid ocr, have heard that they are difficult. In terms of effort, I'd say c1 and c2 are very easy. Most people utterly depise c3 and c4. What I hate about d1 is how you have to keep drawing stuff, which can be time consuming, I actually ran out of time in my exam, which didn't ever happen with my other exams.

Good thing with OCR is that there specification are very specific on what a candidate has to know. My experience with AQA was that there specs were too vague and their textbooks contained extra material which was of no use in the exams.
Reply 13
Im not too sure because i did not go into second year but when i was speaking to mates they had a choice of doing either S3 or D1. You have a choice as you can actually mix and match as you can apply to do only papers that you want to do.

Good thing with OCR is that there specification are very specific on what a candidate has to know. My experience with AQA was that there specs were too vague and their textbooks contained extra material which was of no use in the exams.

Have you had a look at the exam papers? And yes, while the textbook does have extra material, it is usually put under the extension part of the chapter. Fair enough about the specification, I've never used it, never really felt the need for it.
Reply 14
Your module choices are fine. The order you said you'd do the modules and exams is fine. Get the official textbook for each module, it's all you need and has everything in order.
I self-taught (/teaching) C1, C2, S1, FP1, M1 and D1. D1 isn't really worth doing since pretty much everything important will already be in a computer science degree but it's not particularly hard to self-teach. The content looks easy enough but there's a lot of it and it's hard to remember, so I'm just going to cram the lot from 2 days before the exam :tongue:
S1 is alright except for probability. If you decide to do Further AS, FP1 will be useful for CS since it introduces you to matrices which are used a lot.

But if you're doing CS somewhere decent the course should already have at least a fair bit of maths in it so A level won't be as hard for you as everyone else taking it at sixth form.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kingady

Original post by kingady

Thanks

But the revision guide. Learn it. Sorted.
Seriously, if you have a mathematical brain (as I guess you must do doing CS) then it will be piss. C1-4 are barely challenging, all you have to do is learn the exam papers, they're basically the same every year, just a slight different angle. D1 is just learn the method and you'll get high 90's, S1 is a lot about logic (i.e with normal distribution) and some long methods, but a lot about remembering.
Compared to what I did in 1st year engineering, C4 was easy.
Finally, if you are not mathematical, and didn't get a high a or an A* at GCSE maths, don't waste your time on it. Unless there is a hugely compelling reason to.
Original post by kingady

Thanks

Hi, I self taught a level maths. Well, I got taught half of AS but the rest I did on my own including the whole of A2.

I did, C1-4 and M1 and M2. I love mechanics :biggrin:

I recommend AQA. I've read OCR textbooks and its really annoying how the topics are arranged in the pure exams. So definately AQA.

My teacher always said to do all exams of that year in june. so Do C1 ,C2 and S1 together in one june. And the next do C3 C4 and D1.

I found it quite easy to teach myself it, I can't speak for the statistics and decision maths obviously. But the concepts are pretty simple, its mainly practice and not making errors. And some memory.

Effort hmm. I needed to practice stuff so I wouldnt make silly mistakes or whatever but it doesnt take that much effort per say but it takes time. But if you're one of those people that never makes errors in calculations then it won't be that much effort.

What career do you want to pursue?

I've got my C3 exam on monday and the rest this month too!
I'm currently teaching myself C2 and M1 following C1. I do have a private tutor to allow me speed through the topics which is a massive help. Some of the areas are difficult to comprehend without somebody explaining it (as simple as it seems after you know what the book is on about).

OCR text books are wonderful that's who I'm using. Although, I will not be sitting an exam as I'm going to be completing a Physics degree (I begin in October).
Reply 18
Original post by rorydaredking
But the revision guide. Learn it. Sorted.
Seriously, if you have a mathematical brain (as I guess you must do doing CS) then it will be piss. C1-4 are barely challenging, all you have to do is learn the exam papers, they're basically the same every year, just a slight different angle. D1 is just learn the method and you'll get high 90's, S1 is a lot about logic (i.e with normal distribution) and some long methods, but a lot about remembering.
Compared to what I did in 1st year engineering, C4 was easy.
Finally, if you are not mathematical, and didn't get a high a or an A* at GCSE maths, don't waste your time on it. Unless there is a hugely compelling reason to.

i got a B at GCSE maths, just missed A by a few marks:angry:
Reply 19
Original post by Destroyviruses
Hi, I self taught a level maths. Well, I got taught half of AS but the rest I did on my own including the whole of A2.

I did, C1-4 and M1 and M2. I love mechanics :biggrin:

I recommend AQA. I've read OCR textbooks and its really annoying how the topics are arranged in the pure exams. So definately AQA.

My teacher always said to do all exams of that year in june. so Do C1 ,C2 and S1 together in one june. And the next do C3 C4 and D1.

I found it quite easy to teach myself it, I can't speak for the statistics and decision maths obviously. But the concepts are pretty simple, its mainly practice and not making errors. And some memory.

Effort hmm. I needed to practice stuff so I wouldnt make silly mistakes or whatever but it doesnt take that much effort per say but it takes time. But if you're one of those people that never makes errors in calculations then it won't be that much effort.

What career do you want to pursue?

I've got my C3 exam on monday and the rest this month too!

good luck with the exams andc thanks for the tips! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest