The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Asian people allowed to say the N word?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by B-Man.
Oh I didn't know Fat Joe actually got heat for it. He should probably stop though, along with the Black rappers, especially when you remember the origins of the derogative slur itself.

PS. I liked your post quoting 'Xiomara'

Yeah, I really liked it too. When in doubt, don't reply on topic!

Seriously though, there's no point getting offended just because people have a different opinion to you, what I've said was that people using the 'n' word that get offended at people who aren't black doing so get offended because of the reasons I've stated previously. They use it as a way of reclaiming the word - taking the power out of it - by turning it's original use on it's head. It's just comradeship, identifying a common struggle and ancestry. Even if you don't agree with it's use, I don't get why you'd be all upset because you can't say /one/ word. Or you could, everyone would just judge you for doing so because you lack all of the above.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by JaiiStarh
But black people in 2011 don't really experience oppression in modern day society :confused: So what gives them the right to reclaim the word and give it different meanings for when it suits them. If a White person with Black friends said 'Sup N*gga' he would get a hard time,even if he said 'I didn't mean it to offend'

Really? Like, do you genuinely believe that =S
Re people of other ethnicities using it; funny enough, my friend was telling me of a friend, actually come to think of it, he is asian, who thought that he could just say it in front of her and that was okay but then when she tried to sort of confront him about it, he got all high and mighty about it and didn't even apologise?! As if like, oh why is it a problem, what's the fuss, I have the right to say it as well.

I mean, I was offended for her.
Reply 43
DJ Khalid says it .. and he's asian right ? .. Fat Joe says it and he's Latino .. I think this is more flexible in America, but then again the n-word isn't really that big over here. So i think generally in America they'd be able to get away with it.
Reply 44
Original post by QuirkyDoDo
Re people of other ethnicities using it; funny enough, my friend was telling me of a friend, actually come to think of it, he is asian, who thought that he could just say it in front of her and that was okay but then when she tried to sort of confront him about it, he got all high and mighty about it and didn't even apologise?! As if like, oh why is it a problem, what's the fuss, I have the right to say it as well.

I guess because he's black and hasn't experienced it then no one else has. :/

I'd apologise if I offended someone, even if I didn't mean to? So I don't get why he didn't. If he has friends that are OK with it, fine, but if someone's clearly not, say sorry and move on.
Reply 45
Original post by Xiomara
I guess because he's black and hasn't experienced it then no one else has. :/

I'd apologise if I offended someone, even if I didn't mean to? So I don't get why he didn't. If he has friends that are OK with it, fine, but if someone's clearly not, say sorry and move on.

I know right. And actually, if I remember correctly, the worst thing was that she said that she felt funny and said sorry and he still didn't?! I was like LOL what a b.a.s.t.a.r.d.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by QuirkyDoDo

Okay black people still face 'oppression' if you want to call it that,but compared to what we went through during slavery times we have it much easier now.
I just don't think anyone should use it, but unfortunately I cannot stop everyone and anyone from saying it.
To be honest I'm black and i dont find it more offending than is someone called me c*nt b*itch or any other swear word. Its just a word. I think if a white person said it to a black person and reply blah blah blah slavery etc its just an excuse or something they picked up off the tv. I've noticed in more and more music videos especially from americans they use it regardless of skin tone and use it to any person with colour besides white obv...

People just need to move on
Recently went to NYC and my cousin was dropping the N bomb every sentence while we were walking through NY, looks like its quite acceptable there.
Reply 49
hey (don't take this offensively i'm mixed-race too) for some reason calling someone mixed-race is offensive?
Reply 50
The word ****** is an abbreviation of negredo, which means black man in Spanish -- negro meaning black in Spanish.

The word itself, like the word paki are not intrinsically offensive, it's just that they are associated with other meanings.

Obviously, people should not go around calling people these names, but it's perfectly acceptable to say them in context without having to resort to the absurdity of saying the n-word or the p-word -- when I hear it expressed like this it reminds me of Harry potter where people are not allowed to actually name voldermort, and so are forced to say "he who must not be named!"

edit:

I've just noticed it's not actually possible to write the word n****r on here but you can write the word paki. I find that a bit odd.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
It's a stupid word in my opinion as opposed to offensive. It annoys me when anyone uses it. Black, white or purple. I don't get butthurt but sit there and cringe at em.

When say a white person uses it, I just cringe even more...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asians weren’t involved in the transatlantic slave trade but they still were persecuted just as much or even more than black people. Between 1857 and 1919 approximately 10 million Indians were killed in a holocaust. Indians were the subject of mass discrimination and racism with the N word being used frequently. Indians were brutally executed and their women and children were raped. Indians are predominantly dark skinned and it was mainly the dark skin population that were the targets of this genocide. In my opinion Asian have just as much right to say the N word as any other black person. It’s only the fact that India’s genocide isn’t as well known why there’s a debate around whether why are allowed to say it or not.
Reply 53
Original post by amanx679
Asians weren’t involved in the transatlantic slave trade but they still were persecuted just as much or even more than black people. Between 1857 and 1919 approximately 10 million Indians were killed in a holocaust. Indians were the subject of mass discrimination and racism with the N word being used frequently. Indians were brutally executed and their women and children were raped. Indians are predominantly dark skinned and it was mainly the dark skin population that were the targets of this genocide. In my opinion Asian have just as much right to say the N word as any other black person. It’s only the fact that India’s genocide isn’t as well known why there’s a debate around whether why are allowed to say it or not.

You bumped an 8yr old thread to show everyone you don't know what a genocide is?
Can I just say I haven't got a clue what **** is.
Perhaps insert the first letter to give us a clue.
With regards to theN word, I am white male blue collar worker, the very demographic that is frequently accuse of using it offensively, In my life I have heard it used twice like this. Both times somebody pulled the person up for using it.
I can hear it literally countless times a day if I listen to music and watch movies and TV. All by black (mostly) men. I know why black people started using it, to own it but the truth is it would all but die out in normal society if they stopped using it themselves.
Reply 55
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Obviously black people call each other the N word, so if there's a group of black/asian people can they call each other it? White people generally can't because they used to do it all the time during the slave trade and that was when black people were regarded as subhuman and not equal to whites. With Asians this hasn't been the case, in fact Indian people were kicked out of Uganda and their property stolen after working and contributing to their economy as equals. People from the subcontinent also built the railways in many parts of Africa and were pivotal in campaigning against apartheid South Africa where Indians and blacks were inferior to whites. Mixed race people, i.e. black/white ethnicity seem to be able to use the N word without a fuss even though they have white ancestry so surely Asian people should be able to?

Note: this refers to a social/casual context only, not a formal environment like a workplace where the N word is unacceptable no matter who is saying it.

1) There were millions black slaves in Asia, particularly the Middle East, quite a few on the Indian subcontinent, there are even accounts of them as far east as Korea and Japan.

2) Your entire premise is arbitrary.

Latest

Trending

Trending