Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need some suggestions about getting work experience for vet school. I'm in yr 11 and have so far done very little. I own a horse and do everything possible with her - rescued her, broke her in, school her, care for her and compete at local and county level shows. Also help out at a small stud every weekend and do all the jobs, handle the animals inc foals, compete, and break their ponies in. Also have veen offered experienced by the RSPCA.
    However these are the only areas in which i have really work in and apart from that have very little experience. This is mainly due to lack or work around and of which i would willingly do voluntarily.
    I have rang up literally every kennels and catteries in the yellow pages and all have no work. They say this is because they have enough people already etc etc...
    All the stables and riding schools are willing but dunno if anymore horsey stuff would be necessary.
    No vets will have me; either they don't take work experience full stop or they have enough people already.
    Lastly have no experience with farm animals and i blame this on the fact that all the farms in the area seem to be arable. I have looked in yellow pages, farmers magazines etc and there is nowhere within a suitable distance. Does anyone know if it possible to stay at some farmers (yorkshire) in holidays and do this sort of work.
    Has anyone else has this trouble?
    Advice plz?????????
    Anything appreciated as am seriously panicking.

ps. grades should be good enough

ReputationRep:
    yes, stop at farms in holidays, stop sumwer just to get vet experience, beg, pled, cry if you have to but u need vet experience! i dont feel i did enough, spent 7 months at 1 practice n a summer at another, but u have to do it. u have plenty of time to do it, if your only in year 11 now, uv got way more experience then i had then, but perhaps dont sacrifice the other stuff for more horsey, but of course snap up what u can get. also, try n get sumthin that stands out, abbattoir n pig farms are always a winner, and 2 of my most interesting ones i found!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any relatives you could stay with somewhere else in the country? Maybe vets near them could help. I stayed with grandparents when doing a week with the vet at Paignton Zoo. I also stayed in a caravan for a week to do a week at another vets. I'm told also that that looks good on an application, as you've made more of an effort to see practice.

Keep trying - you'll find something!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i live in london so had to stay with some farmers which we usually go on holiday and stay on their farm in a cottage next door....my parents paid them b&b for me for 2 weeks...but yeah if u combined it with maybe a family holiday elsewhere in the country or yeah...just any relatives or family friends you can think of....my cousin did some at her cousins etc.....you must know some other people living in other parts of the country see if they can help.....and have you tried all the vets within a reasonable tracilling distance of you..maybe ask at your school if anyone in previous years has done work experience at any vets.....have you asked at your vets in person..i know they only let me do it in year 11 cause we were quite a good customer for them i think...lol...anyway good luck...and youve got loads of time..i didnt even know how much work experience we had to do in year 11..i thought my 2 weeks at the vets was fine..LOL....so naive...amazing im at vet school really.....

ReputationRep:
    Write to vets requesting a placement for a years time or next October half term they can't be full up forever! You say you've rung up kennels and catteries but have you tried charities? They may be full at the moment but in my experience they have a high turn over rate of vounteers. People do three months for D of E but then leave so ring up reguarly.
    You do need farming experience it recommends or requests it at all vet schools. When i went lambing i stayed at the farm so that would solve some problems.
    My lambing was arranged with help from a friends aunt so ask anyone and everyone for help.
    You could also try research vets/labs, they dont fill up so quickly.
    Zoos as well as they take loads and loads of people.

ReputationRep:
    How about your horse's vet? I know that is more equine work, but often by working with one vet, they can put you into contact with others.

And definately stay at farmers. Most of them will be happy to have the extra help!

Like someone else said, charities are really good place as they are always looking for volunteers. If calling kennels and catteries, make it clear you want the 'experience' and not as employment. They get a lot of calls about employment/weekend work but you aren't one of these! Say that you are trying to build up plenty of work experience for your application to vet school and would be ever so grateful if it would be possible for them to let you help out for a couple of weeks during the summer, or early summer before they get too busy (the kennels I worked at prefered not to take on work experience people in the prime summer time because they are so busy that they haven't got time to train people).

Do you know anyone who lives in the country? Or do you ever go on family holidays to places like Wales, Lake District? Lambing is a really good time to get experience, farmers are desperate for help! I did my lambing experience when my family went on holiday to an island off the west coast of Scotland!

Whereabouts are you based? Someone on here might have contacts nearish you to help!

Hope you find some placements! I come from a very arable area too so I totally understand how tough it is!

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for your advice and yes the RSPCA have said that they'll take me as a voluntary worker!!!! The RSPCA near where I live is all mainly cats and dogs anyway so would this be enough of this type of work or would it put me in better chance to get specific kennels and catteries as well.
    Sorry for sounding thick but when is 'lambing season', is it spring time? And yes please if anyone has farm contacts can you help me? We just go abroad for holidays or London etc etc and not them countryish places and all my family and friends are in cities. I live in E Riding of Yorkshire and could probably travel anywhere in this area or Hull on a daily basis. Though also would stay and work in other areas of country if they could accommodate me.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i recon it would be good to try as hard as you can to get some experience in vets practices... i have done 6 weeks at 6 different practices now, one of which was in Ireland (when we went over at easter to visit relatives... that was useful because it was more farmy over there) and one was in france... which was pretty cool.. lol.. ontop of all my other experience of course

ReputationRep:
    When is the lambing season?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!
    I am also in year 11 and looking to do some work experience in the summer. So far I have a Saturday job at my local vets, 1 week arranged at a kennels, 1 week lab work arranged and have been offered 4 weeks during the summer with a pig company. This would involve 1 week AI lab, 1 week farrowing, 1 week outdoor herd and 1 week on a basic pig farm.
    However, would I be better off not doing so much pig work and focusing on other farm animals/stables etc? :confused: Also, all the local vets who take work expreince people are booked up for this summer so that will have to wait until next year!
    I'd be extremely grateful for any advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffles)
    Hello all!
    I am also in year 11 and looking to do some work experience in the summer. So far I have a Saturday job at my local vets, 1 week arranged at a kennels, 1 week lab work arranged and have been offered 4 weeks during the summer with a pig company. This would involve 1 week AI lab, 1 week farrowing, 1 week outdoor herd and 1 week on a basic pig farm.
    However, would I be better off not doing so much pig work and focusing on other farm animals/stables etc? :confused: Also, all the local vets who take work expreince people are booked up for this summer so that will have to wait until next year!
    your very young! don't worry you have plenty of time.....relax
    I'm sure you can fit in more experience when studying for your A' levels

ReputationRep:
    you're still in year 11, so u still have plenty of time. i did most, if not all, my work experience necessary in the last 2 terms of year 12 and you've already had plenty of experience with horses and the RSPCA so you sound like you're ahead already.
    i didnt do any experience in as such in catteries or dog shelters, just a few odd jobs now and then. but i did work experience at 3 different veterinary clinics and i think thats really essential to apply for vet med since u need to know the specific requirements for the job and things like that. also the vets will give u lots of advice if you ask nicely haha. i didnt do any farming experience since im in hongkong and there are no livestock farms here.. but i suppose if you ever have the opportunity to, you should really go for it!
    good luckk!!

ReputationRep:
    If the vets have too many people at the moment ask them to keep a note of your name for when a space comes available. One of the vets i work for will only take people over 16. Also volunteer at the kennels even if it just to try and cover people the vets will look at you more if you've had kennels experience. I think the best thing is not to be fussy take whatever you can because that'll help you when your applying. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    hey..

those applying later after this year

please remember to journal down your thoughts during these work experiences cos you will need it for your personal statement.

and try to stick with 1 vet practice. preferably mixed. cos that is usually where you can find someone to talk to about vet school and more importantly, a mentor. (=

good luck everyone! (=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joos)
    hey..
    and try to stick with 1 vet practice. preferably mixed. cos that is usually where you can find someone to talk to about vet school and more importantly, a mentor. (=

good luck everyone! (=
    Some vet schools (I can't remember which) prefer time in more than one practice, check websites for details.
    I would say idealy get a weekly slot/kennel maid job at one practice but spend weeks here and there at equine, small animal, mixed, specialost practices. i was asked between differences of mixed vs equine (apart from the obvious species difference lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffles)
    Hello all!
    The pig work is fantastic! You have loads of time so definately don't say no to the pigs! You will learn so, so much - not just about pigs but about intensive farming which is a common topic in interviews, especially if they see you have worked on a pig farm which also has outdoor facilities. It is also a very topical issue in the vet world.
    Other stuff you might want to do: stables, lambing, dairy and visit an abattoir. But don't feel you have to spend weeks and weeks there, they prefer varied experience. And you don't have to have everything!

ReputationRep:
    Ask loads of questions when you go and seriously write everything down as soon as you go home because you soon forget what you've seen and its useful to know when you get an interview!!!!

Lambing time starts Febuaryish and goes on till bout April-Mayish depends when the farmer chooses to lamb, the best holidays to go are either the Feb half term or the Easter ones!!! Try and get two weeks at different farms if you can because some farms get a bit slack on there care of animals so its good to see the same thing from 2 points of view!!!

If you're struggling getting work keep pestering! RING don't write (writing looks more formal but most places don't take you seriously), or at least write and then ring!! Just make sure they know you're serious and they should take you- i had to speak to one vets about 8 times and they finally offered me a saturday job so perstering pays off :p: !!!

Good luck to everyone !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 24, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.