Does anyone own a pet turtle? Watch

vintage.queen
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I really want a turtle so does anyone own one so they can tell be about keeping one??
graveyarddreams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah me too, they are my favourite animals so any information?
Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/repti...ticturtles.htm
Mrs_F
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My cousin just got a baby turtle for her birthday.
Inphinite
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Watch Blue Peter... their turtle should be out in a few months.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:turtle:
schmetterling
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Turtle or terrapin? Haha. I have a red eared terrapin. It got really huge. Really huge.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by -Inphinite.)
Watch Blue Peter... their turtle should be out in a few months.
Tortoise.
dsouzabnoel
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I own 4 turtle, though they r slow I like them and they r some of my favourite pet animals.
cookieboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dsouzabnoel)
Yeah I own 4 turtle, though they r slow I like them and they r some of my favourite pet animals.
Awwww i want one :p:
Khanage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No but i wish i did? hehe. How much are they? Easy to maintain?
KillerK
Report 10 years ago
When lil boy me had turtle back home in india mom an pa made soup out of it. tell me he had ran away

Turtle dont run away!!!!!!!:mad:
Pru
Report 10 years ago
It all depends if its a turtle or a tortoise you want, and whatever species you get you REALLY have to do your research on that particular species. I used to have 2 three toed american box turtles, when we first got them we thought they were just tortoises, but they werent, they were meat eaters, so i had to get mealworms etc and they needed all the proper heat lamps and UV lighting. every sepceies is different because they come from different climates.

For a first timer id suggest something like a hermans tortoise which is a vegatairian and very docile.

You also have to make sure they're eating enough etc, alot of reptiles will stop eating and starve themselves for months if they arent happy in their enviroment, thats why i rehomed mine in the end.

Also just a note, wherever you get them from, make sure they were bred in captivity and not taken from the wild, its illeagle to sell wild animals as pets in this country (i think :P), and even if its not, wild ones dont make great pets :P

PS, dispite what you think, turtles and tortoises CAN move VERY VERY fast, fast enough to lose them anyway, george managed to run away twice and i only looked away from him for a second or two.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pru)
It all depends if its a turtle or a tortoise you want, and whatever species you get you REALLY have to do your research on that particular species. I used to have 2 three toed american box turtles, when we first got them we thought they were just tortoises, but they werent, they were meat eaters, so i had to get mealworms etc and they needed all the proper heat lamps and UV lighting. every sepceies is different because they come from different climates.

For a first timer id suggest something like a hermans tortoise which is a vegatairian and very docile.

You also have to make sure they're eating enough etc, alot of reptiles will stop eating and starve themselves for months if they arent happy in their enviroment, thats why i rehomed mine in the end.

Also just a note, wherever you get them from, make sure they were bred in captivity and not taken from the wild, its illeagle to sell wild animals as pets in this country (i think :P), and even if its not, wild ones dont make great pets :P

PS, dispite what you think, turtles and tortoises CAN move VERY VERY fast, fast enough to lose them anyway, george managed to run away twice and i only looked away from him for a second or two.
What kind of a "habitat" do you suggest? my boyfriend and I were going to get a couple, but we don't know if we need to build a box enclosure or what... you get them from garden centres in tanks, so I thought a tank (big one ofcourse with a lot of floor area) would do, but my boyf said it's not good for them or something, do you know if that's right?

Also, George. What a lovely name
Pru
Report 10 years ago
If you;re thinking of a hermans tortoise a tank isnt the way to go. To be honest a tank is only good for terapins.

For a hermans tortoise you would need something like this --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R06087-Rabbit-...QQcmdZViewItem

However if its on grass make sure theres mesh on the bottom because they can dig out, also in the winter if it doesnt hibernate (not all of them do, some dont because they're too small etc) you will need to bring it in in cold wether and have an indoor cage.

If you want to grab me on msn etc feel free Pru- @ hotmail.com (obv no spaces in the email, i put them there so it isnt an email link)
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
erm just for the record - tortoises ARE turtles (Testudines), as are terrapins :p:
Pru
Report 10 years ago
Technicly turtles live in water and tortoises live on land, however alot of americans call tortoises turtles.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought tortoises die if they go in water cos they can't swim?
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pru)
Technicly turtles live in water and tortoises live on land, however alot of americans call tortoises turtles.

some turtles'live on land - you'll be thinking of sea turtles which are exclusively marine except for reproducing? anyway the point i was making was that terrapin and tortoise are subdivisions of the larger taxanomic group turtles!
Pru
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
I thought tortoises die if they go in water cos they can't swim?

supprisingly they can swim a little, obviously not as much as sea turtles etc, but they can for a little bit.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.45%
No (459)
60.47%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.08%

Watched Threads