Turn on thread page Beta

Discovery Channel Confirms That Europeans Were Original People of North America watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen on TSR, American history isn't taught very thoroughly in the UK. It's not all that surprising.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason we haven't heard of it before is because it's nowhere near being proven, or even likely to be. If people had crossed the Pacific from SEAsia or Oceania to the Americas before they arrived via the Bering strait it would have been massive world news. They probably didn't cover the "scoop" because few academics would credit it. I'm dubious at the moment Sol, but I'm open-minded enough that I'll have a googling session on it 2moro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    From what I've seen on TSR, American history isn't taught very thoroughly in the UK. It's not all that surprising.
    To be fair, British history isn't very well taught in the UK either, but, then nor is american and US history in the USA going by many US citizens I've come across.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, this really isn't "US History" - it's Geography and Anthropology, more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    I'm dubious at the moment Sol, but I'm open-minded enough that I'll have a googling session on it 2moro.
    Open-mindedness is all it takes. BTW. Have a merry Christmas everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave777)
    Traditional history tells us that European settlers discovered America about the time of the Renaissance. But revolutionary new archaeological data and the latest DNA research reveal that Europeans visited our shores far earlier – some 17,000 years before Columbus was even born.

Filmed in glorious high definition, this two-hour, epic drama follows an intrepid family of stone age hunters as they trek from their homeland in southwestern France, cross 3,000 miles of ocean and eventually make their first permanent settlement in what is today the northeastern U.S. Along the way, they overcome starvation and storms with the help of a revolutionary weapons technology they would later bequeath to the native peoples of the Americas. But awaiting the pioneers' arrival is a stark, empty continent, filled with a plethora of bizarre and lethal animals – all brought to life by brilliant computer animation. Firmly rooted in the latest scientific discoveries, it's a compelling vision of the greatest migration in human history.

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-59637.html
    "..........revolutionary new archaeological data and the latest DNA research" as revealed on the Discovery Channel. Well, that's me sold on the idea... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    To be fair, British history isn't very well taught in the UK either, but, then nor is american history in the USA going by many americns I've come across.
    American as in "North and South Americas."

As for history in America...Americans don't like dwelling on the past. We're more about manifest destiny and the fresh sheet of paper.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry corrected.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.