The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No need to be scared, if you don't have interviews/entrance exams (most people won't) then it is generally easy process :smile:
Hi there, I rarely post on here and only do when I am feeling really really puzzled haha. I would love some advice from anyone, fellow 2012 entry people! :biggrin: or respected members or people in similar positions; basically - anyone! I am not here to boast or do anything of the sort, I am just laying down the facts and hoping for some advice!

I am wondering what sort of entry requirements I should be having as maximum/minimum grades for universities I want to apply to as I want to do History and I understand it is highly competitive and thus don't want to overreach and get 5 rejections!
At GCSE I achieved 5 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs, and a C (in physics). I achieved 2 As in my january exams (psychology/maths C2) and I am hoping to get generally all As or 3As and 2 Bs at AS after my May exams. I do History, English Lit, Psychology, Maths and General Studies and am doing EPQ next year along with History, English and Psychology at A2.

Are my GCSE's too weak? I could have done better but I suffered with sciences, my big downfall! And I am hoping to go to Warwick or York, but is applying to AAA unis too high? I have very low confidence in myself although my history teacher did say to look at Oxbridge? Ugh I sound so pathetic but I worry lots haha!

Honestly I would LOVE to go to Durham but I understand that will probably never happen so might not waste it as an option. There history candidates seem too competitive for me!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by girlafraidx
Hi there, I rarely post on here and only do when I am feeling really really puzzled haha. I would love some advice from anyone, fellow 2012 entry people! :biggrin: or respected members or people in similar positions; basically - anyone! I am not here to boast or do anything of the sort, I am just laying down the facts and hoping for some advice!

I am wondering what sort of entry requirements I should be having as maximum/minimum grades for universities I want to apply to as I want to do History and I understand it is highly competitive and thus don't want to overreach and get 5 rejections!
At GCSE I achieved 5 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs, and a C (in physics). I achieved 2 As in my january exams (psychology/maths C2) and I am hoping to get generally all As or 3As and 2 Bs at AS after my May exams. I do History, English Lit, Psychology, Maths and General Studies and am doing EPQ next year along with History, English and Psychology at A2.

Are my GCSE's too weak? I could have done better but I suffered with sciences, my big downfall! And I am hoping to go to Warwick or York, but is applying to AAA unis too high? I have very low confidence in myself although my history teacher did say to look at Oxbridge? Ugh I sound so pathetic but I worry lots haha!

Honestly I would LOVE to go to Durham but I understand that will probably never happen so might not waste it as an option. There history candidates seem too competitive for me!

1) No your GCSEs are not too weak.
2) Oxbridge isn't a university.
3) If you attain three As+ in your AS and have correspondingly high predictions then applying to such places is obviously fine. You should apply for a couple of choices that are easier to get into though as well.
Original post by paddy__power
1) No your GCSEs are not too weak.
2) Oxbridge isn't a university.
3) If you attain three As+ in your AS and have correspondingly high predictions then applying to such places is obviously fine. You should apply for a couple of choices that are easier to get into though as well.

Thank you, I understand I am quite a paranoid character which is an immature quality but I hate to be rude and say how condescending that was. I probably asked for such a response though. Yes I understand oxbridge isn't a university, I didn't say it was. It's a term used for Oxford and Cambridge, a phrase commonly used by teachers, that's all. Thanks anyway for the reassurance.
where can we find out the acceptance rate for each course at each individual uni?
Original post by Imperial Blitz
where can we find out the acceptance rate for each course at each individual uni?

You can't unless they publish them
Thank you, I understand I am quite a paranoid character which is an immature quality but I hate to be rude and say how condescending that was. I probably asked for such a response though. Yes I understand oxbridge isn't a university, I didn't say it was. It's a term used for Oxford and Cambridge, a phrase commonly used by teachers, that's all. Thanks anyway for the reassurance.

You're welcome.

Yes, and teachers that use it should know better, or shouldn't be advising anyone.

You're entitled to say it was condescending, and to think it was. It certainly wasn't said as such, and I don't personally see how it does, but it doesn't really matter.

Good luck with your course :smile:
To be completely honest many teachers and schools give very bad advice regarding personal statements.

And some of us have many, many years of experience, have processed many Ucas forms (and UCCA and PCAS forms before that), have been on many courses held by university admissions tutors, have advised students numbering in thousands by now and have a damn good record of getting our students into the unversity of their choice, because funnily enough, we actually care about our students and take the trouble to learn how best to serve them. Dare I say it, we also have more experience of life than some students who have just got into university themselves and we also have the ability to read newspaper articles/university websites/speak to actual university admissions tutors just as they do. Please do not encourage people on here to assume that their teachers know nothing. It is insulting and untrue.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
And some of us have many, many years of experience, have processed many Ucas forms (and UCCA and PCAS forms before that), have been on many courses held by university admissions tutors, have advised students numbering in thousands by now and have a damn good record of getting our students into the unversity of their choice, because funnily enough, we actually care about our students and take the trouble to learn how best to serve them. Dare I say it, we also have more experience of life than some students who have just got into university themselves and we also have the ability to read newspaper articles/university websites/speak to actual university admissions tutors just as they do. Please do not encourage people on here to assume that their teachers know nothing. It is insulting and untrue.

Well you're being somewhat presumptuous. I said many, and rather than ask me what I mean by many you apply your own value to that which, inferred from your response, has been taken to mean most(?). There are of course teachers with excellent, and extensive knowledge of the process but unfortunately this is all too often not the case at all and while I am not encouraging them to assume their teachers know nothing (I didn't say this at all, to be frank) I am encouraging people not to accept what their teachers say simply because they are teachers.

I'm sure you do have more life experience than some students, but this isn't particularly relevant and again I don't doubt you have those abilities. Though if you think that newspaper particles give a constantly valid account of university applications then you must read papers I am not aware of.

I stand by my statement, it is rooted in my experience of a great many teachers (both directly and indirectly). You can interpret it however you wish but in no way did I say, or wish to imply, that all teaches are useless as this isn't the case and I certainly don't believe it to be. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Best of luck to everyone in their UCAS! Hope they get into the uni's they want and deserve!I think my UCAS personal statement mumbo jumbo begins on the 20th when I return to sixth form.

Oh and I'm Hemzo, looking to study Economics at university, how's everyone doing? :biggrin:
Reply 70
Were having a "UCAS Launch day" on the 23rd June, before going to Essex Uni for a University conference on the 24th.
Will be applying for history/international relations - can't wait to get my teeth into it all! :biggrin:
Reply 71
I want to get registered, i'm so impatient! It doesn't help that i've already picked out my course and universities and am all set to go.
We aren't starting until after a UCAS convention and information day (on the 20th and 21st) so i've got a while to wait..
Reply 72
Just an idea builder. What are you guys finding difficult when choosing universities? Finding/ordering prospectuses? Knowing where the closest universities are? Knowing where Bath actually is?
Reply 73
Just done my first draft of my personal statement (applying for Spanish and Italian) and will be returning to college tomorrow along with the start of the whole UCAS process

any other MFL applicants?

:smile:
Original post by Groat
Just an idea builder. What are you guys finding difficult when choosing universities? Finding/ordering prospectuses? Knowing where the closest universities are? Knowing where Bath actually is?

I don't find it difficult getting prospectuses as I have around 30 of them.. It's narrowing down my choices to something more realistic that I find is the hard part.
i dont think my school is doing UCAS stuff till september :/ but ive already chosen course + universities lol
(In answer to Paddy Power - Didn't put the quote in. Sorry.)

I am very glad to hear it. The adolescent view that teachers are in some way 'out to get you' should really have been shed by the time a student is applying to university. I am unable to assign any meaning to 'many' other than that which seems to be held by the majority of dictionaries. How many teachers do you come across? May I ask in what capacity? I have been a sixth form tutor for 23 years in 3 different schools and I have not found the 'unsatisfactory' quotient to be high. By all means encourage applicants to do their own research and not rely on what they are told, but I would expect some evidence for a student's view to be produced if it went against the bank of information that schools build up over many years' experience of the application process. Every year, my school processes in the region of 160 applications. We learn from the feedback every year. We see the patterns of acceptances/rejections and we use that to help the next year's cohort. Why should we not be a reliable source of information? Why should we lie? In this era of accountability what earthly use would be served by our league tables taking a bashing by our students failing to get into the university of their choice? This is what I mean by life experience. There is hardly a subject or a university we have not had a student apply for over the years, and for the usual subjects and the popular universities we have had hundreds, and we work hard to use the knowledge acquired for the benefit of subsequent students. I don't think newspapers give valid account of everything but I certainly don't think this forum can claim the moral high ground in terms of accurate information either. Teachers have a hard time of it. We cannot win, and it is pretty amazing that most of us don't just lie down and give in, but we don't. A great many of us do our best for our kids. I am sorry that you have had the experience of many teachers letting you down. I think you have been very unlucky. I don't think it is right or fair to give the impression that a great many TSRians will have the same experience, because the result will be that the some of the more half-baked notions that pass for advice on this forum (and I specifically do not refer to you here) will gain credence and students will suffer.

Sorry, I think I'm just in a bad mood. Didn't mean to be so strident. Of course there are bad teachers, just as there are bad dustmen and bad hairdressers. We just get more public stick than they do. Got it off my chest now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just registered. I put in my details and punched in a few of my universities of choice. Still deciding on a college for Oxford though. :P Guess it will have to wait until I can actually visit them to see in August. A first draft of my personal statement is sitting in a folder on my computer desktop. I'm afraid to look at it now...

Also apparently my school isn't registered. Sigh. As you may tell from the flag, I'm an international/Canadian student. I tried asking my counsellor at school whether we were registered or not and she kind of gave me a blank look. :| So yeah, I have to do it individually, and my school can't help me at all in the process. Well, except for the referee I guess. Fun.

But anyway I'm going to an abroad fair (again) this fall, and probably talking to an admissions officer (again) this fall; hopefully they'll have more of an idea how to help me. :P

That was a rather long ramble. Basically, I'm registered but rather confused. >.>
You're welcome.

Yes, and teachers that use it should know better, or shouldn't be advising anyone.

You're entitled to say it was condescending, and to think it was. It certainly wasn't said as such, and I don't personally see how it does, but it doesn't really matter.

Good luck with your course :smile:

Looking back, it wasn't as much as I first presumed it was so I owe you an apology, and also: thank you!
Looking back, it wasn't as much as I first presumed it was so I owe you an apology, and also: thank you!

No problem :smile:

Thanks for the apology.

Latest

Trending

Trending