The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
drsmeeth
teachers don't ring us up, but they sent a letter home to us saying that we must contact them immediately and then attatched their mobile phone numbers and email addresses and the like.

well at least you've gt some gd numbers 2 prank when ur pissed now :p:
Reply 61
haha that's true enough
You lot al have an incrdeible number of applicants eachs year! I never realsised it was so common for sooo many people to apply :rolleyes:

Our school has an average of about 1 applicant per year (of ~150)... and nobody had got in for 5 years before ours.
Last year was exceptional with a whole 4 (!) applicants, but 3 of us did get in, which is a pretty good rate really (75% sucess!!! and what a good sample... :biggrin: )
About 30 of us from 120 apply to Oxford/Cambridge each year. Last year about 15 got in (maybe slightly more).

Cambridge is the second most popular destination after our local, Kent.

Wow my school isn't so bad after all actually (1 in 4 applying to Oxbridge).
Reply 64
1 in 2 oxbridge. how ridiculous is that.
One applied to Homerton to study Theology.

*cough*
My school has a 100% Oxbridge success rate.

based on two people. :wink:
Reply 67
there are a lot of people playing the numbers game in my school, applying to certain colleges, girls only colleges for instance.
Reply 68
3/600 cambridge. 1/600 for oxford. I go to one of the biggest 6th forms in the country.
Reply 69
that is a mutha****in HuAge 6th form.
Reply 70
Jasperstory - and theology rocks!! :biggrin:DD
(had my 2nd int at homerton, hmm....)

Its messed up, about 50 ppl apply out of r100 for oxbridge, only about 10 get in. Most of them are for history, which might explain it lol.. Thank the lord im not doing history!
Reply 71
I was having a debate with my friend about this... out of approx. 100 people, there are 3 people (myself included) who I know have applied to Oxbridge, and possibly one other. We normally get one or two in a year. I really ought to know, shouldn't I?!

There really should be more, my year's supposed to be a really good year (makes us sound like a wine, doesn't it?)...

Topic: well, as I'm for Medicine there was a period when I was thinking 'why did I waste one of my four choices on Cambridge?' cos it's a risk and they're looking for different things etc., but I don't mind so much now as other stuff has happened. I just want to know.

Liana
Reply 72
jasperstory
One applied to Homerton to study Theology.

*cough*

I know all three of the Homerton Theologians you cheeky begger, and they are lovely people.

Theology is a fantastic subject and i do believe it has the highest pooling rate in the university. I was pooled form Corpus to Jesus for example.
I am so scared !- I didnt think i will be this scared to get rejected because i had 'prepared' myself for it as soon as i came out of my last interview- but i keep going over the mistakes of my interview and what i could have said!

And Oh my God there is so pressure on me to get an offer ! Not so much my parents even though they care as well- But my School! I am the first and only oxbridge applicant ever... can you all imagine how awful it will be telling everyone ? My headteacher has already given me her mobile number so i can text her my offer/rejection as soon as i get it --- oo godness i am honestly starting to panic.

Not to mention i completely love the course to bits and will seriosly reconsider reaplying even though i really dont want to take a year out.
I think there were around 20 people applying to Oxbridge this year from my college. I know of 3 people who have offers from Oxford and 1 person who got rejected. Not sure about everybody else.
Reply 75
There are just under 100 people in my year, and nine of us applied, 3 to Ox 6 to Cam. One person has just had an offer from Ox, but she's seen as the cleverest person in the year, and I go to one of the top private schools (GDST) in the North-West.
Two teachers from my school told me not to apply, but I had a lot of backing from my headmistress, and a lot of people have told me that I'll get an offer. I don't know if I will or not, I'm feeling very ambivalent at the moment. Not to mention really damn scared. I keep dreaming about getting the letter!!! I need to stop being so neurotic.
Reply 76
Bah this thread is making me nervous. I don't mind getting a rejection, but telling everyone is going to be awful :frown: Man, I wish I could just not tell anyone.
I go to a massive 6th form as well; around 600 (possibly more of us), one of the biggest in the country. We had about 3 applicants for Oxford and about 8 for cambridge, which is like the highest number of applicants ever from our school. one's gotten in to Oxford, the other two were rejected without interview and we're all waiting nervously for Cambridge to reply....we've had like 2 people who've gotten in in about 10 years lol....argh!
Reply 78
*hugs to everyone*
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Reply 79
Deep breaths... its all going to be fine...

Latest

Trending

Trending