to any music students, i need some advice

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
shambles
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
i was wanting to find out what a-levels or grades are needed to study music at a degree level. can anyone who has done this please tell me whats needed? cheers x shambles
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Music + 2 other academic subjects, so choose what u fancy, my friend does music, chemistry and physcology, offers from unis also usually invole grade 8 in piano and maybe another depending on what u play
Datura
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Depends on where you are going. If you intend to go to a conservatiore your preformance skills need to be outstanding or you won't stand a chance.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Music + 2 other academic subjects, so choose what u fancy, my friend does music, chemistry and physcology, offers from unis also usually invole grade 8 in piano and maybe another depending on what u play
not grade 8 in piano. Grade 8 in your first instrument and then some will say grade 5 level piano (which you can get up to standard in a year).

Musicboy
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
not grade 8 in piano. Grade 8 in your first instrument and then some will say grade 5 level piano (which you can get up to standard in a year).

Musicboy
get up to grade 5 in a year? thats quite fast.....
rah
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by shambles)
i was wanting to find out what a-levels or grades are needed to study music at a degree level. can anyone who has done this please tell me whats needed? cheers x shambles
i think notts is AAA and bristol is AAB as that is what my friend got, obviously they are likely to be more interested in your musical talent so i imagine even if you had BBB you could get into many of the good music schools
Musicwoman
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by shambles)
Hi

Well...I've done Music, Maths, Geography and German. I applied to Cambridge but didn't get it (and that SUCKS!!! because it's still the course that I really want to do. I've got BBB offers from everywhere else.

I didn't apply to Nottingham because of what I saw as the large amount of composition and that's not really my thing. I applied to York, Durham, Cardiff, Leeds and Royal Holloway. I discounted anywhere that was in a big city cos I hate cities. Royal Holloway is quite interesting because it is in partnership with the RCM. If you audition and they think you are any good, you can reaudition with a RCM professor and then study at both if they like you. That seems a good deal to me, although Royal Holloway seems a bit too institutional for my liking, the food was awful and it's bloody expensive London rates - Cambridge was half the price for accommodation!

You need to be mega good to get into a conservatoire - the Guildhall says the CertGSMD at High Honours standard is the standard they expect. Having said that, my mate's got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and he's just 'normally' brilliant. Another acquaintance, however, was the ONLY British person to get a place at the Royal Academy for piano in her year (then got thrown out for getting ****ed against their rules!).

Most unis seems to expect 'good keyboard skills' though don't always specify what that means. Grade 5 plus piano seems an absolute definite.

I have CertGSMD (Honours) on my first instrument, Grade 8 piano and voice(both Distinction, and Grade 8 Theory.
Musicwoman
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Musicwoman)
Hi

Well...I've done Music, Maths, Geography and German. I applied to Cambridge but didn't get it (and that SUCKS!!! because it's still the course that I really want to do. I've got BBB offers from everywhere else.

I didn't apply to Nottingham because of what I saw as the large amount of composition and that's not really my thing. I applied to York, Durham, Cardiff, Leeds and Royal Holloway. I discounted anywhere that was in a big city cos I hate cities. Royal Holloway is quite interesting because it is in partnership with the RCM. If you audition and they think you are any good, you can reaudition with a RCM professor and then study at both if they like you. That seems a good deal to me, although Royal Holloway seems a bit too institutional for my liking, the food was awful and it's bloody expensive London rates - Cambridge was half the price for accommodation!

You need to be mega good to get into a conservatoire - the Guildhall says the CertGSMD at High Honours standard is the standard they expect. Having said that, my mate's got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and he's just 'normally' brilliant. Another acquaintance, however, was the ONLY British person to get a place at the Royal Academy for piano in her year (then got thrown out for getting ****ed against their rules!).

Most unis seems to expect 'good keyboard skills' though don't always specify what that means. Grade 5 plus piano seems an absolute definite.

I have CertGSMD (Honours) on my first instrument, Grade 8 piano and voice(both Distinction, and Grade 8 Theory.

Oh I forgot to say that picking the right route through A level Music seems to be important - don't go for all the easy options...make sure you learn loads of harmony and counterpoint.
X
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (2)
20%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (1)
10%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (0)
0%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (2)
20%
Reading articles about what steps to take (4)
40%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
10%

Watched Threads