to any music students, i need some advice

Watch
This discussion is closed.
shambles
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i was wanting to find out what a-levels or grades are needed to study music at a degree level. can anyone who has done this please tell me whats needed? cheers x shambles
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Music + 2 other academic subjects, so choose what u fancy, my friend does music, chemistry and physcology, offers from unis also usually invole grade 8 in piano and maybe another depending on what u play
Datura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Depends on where you are going. If you intend to go to a conservatiore your preformance skills need to be outstanding or you won't stand a chance.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Music + 2 other academic subjects, so choose what u fancy, my friend does music, chemistry and physcology, offers from unis also usually invole grade 8 in piano and maybe another depending on what u play
not grade 8 in piano. Grade 8 in your first instrument and then some will say grade 5 level piano (which you can get up to standard in a year).

Musicboy
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
not grade 8 in piano. Grade 8 in your first instrument and then some will say grade 5 level piano (which you can get up to standard in a year).

Musicboy
get up to grade 5 in a year? thats quite fast.....
rah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by shambles)
i was wanting to find out what a-levels or grades are needed to study music at a degree level. can anyone who has done this please tell me whats needed? cheers x shambles
i think notts is AAA and bristol is AAB as that is what my friend got, obviously they are likely to be more interested in your musical talent so i imagine even if you had BBB you could get into many of the good music schools
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by shambles)
Hi

Well...I've done Music, Maths, Geography and German. I applied to Cambridge but didn't get it (and that SUCKS!!! because it's still the course that I really want to do. I've got BBB offers from everywhere else.

I didn't apply to Nottingham because of what I saw as the large amount of composition and that's not really my thing. I applied to York, Durham, Cardiff, Leeds and Royal Holloway. I discounted anywhere that was in a big city cos I hate cities. Royal Holloway is quite interesting because it is in partnership with the RCM. If you audition and they think you are any good, you can reaudition with a RCM professor and then study at both if they like you. That seems a good deal to me, although Royal Holloway seems a bit too institutional for my liking, the food was awful and it's bloody expensive London rates - Cambridge was half the price for accommodation!

You need to be mega good to get into a conservatoire - the Guildhall says the CertGSMD at High Honours standard is the standard they expect. Having said that, my mate's got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and he's just 'normally' brilliant. Another acquaintance, however, was the ONLY British person to get a place at the Royal Academy for piano in her year (then got thrown out for getting pissed against their rules!).

Most unis seems to expect 'good keyboard skills' though don't always specify what that means. Grade 5 plus piano seems an absolute definite.

I have CertGSMD (Honours) on my first instrument, Grade 8 piano and voice(both Distinction, and Grade 8 Theory.
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Musicwoman)
Hi

Well...I've done Music, Maths, Geography and German. I applied to Cambridge but didn't get it (and that SUCKS!!! because it's still the course that I really want to do. I've got BBB offers from everywhere else.

I didn't apply to Nottingham because of what I saw as the large amount of composition and that's not really my thing. I applied to York, Durham, Cardiff, Leeds and Royal Holloway. I discounted anywhere that was in a big city cos I hate cities. Royal Holloway is quite interesting because it is in partnership with the RCM. If you audition and they think you are any good, you can reaudition with a RCM professor and then study at both if they like you. That seems a good deal to me, although Royal Holloway seems a bit too institutional for my liking, the food was awful and it's bloody expensive London rates - Cambridge was half the price for accommodation!

You need to be mega good to get into a conservatoire - the Guildhall says the CertGSMD at High Honours standard is the standard they expect. Having said that, my mate's got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and he's just 'normally' brilliant. Another acquaintance, however, was the ONLY British person to get a place at the Royal Academy for piano in her year (then got thrown out for getting pissed against their rules!).

Most unis seems to expect 'good keyboard skills' though don't always specify what that means. Grade 5 plus piano seems an absolute definite.

I have CertGSMD (Honours) on my first instrument, Grade 8 piano and voice(both Distinction, and Grade 8 Theory.

Oh I forgot to say that picking the right route through A level Music seems to be important - don't go for all the easy options...make sure you learn loads of harmony and counterpoint.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads