What is the difference between GCSE and Additional science ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
manutd125
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi in year 10 we did AQA GCSE science and in year 11 we have done AQA additional science what is the difference and is additional science considered more valuable than the Normal GCSE

thanks
besarlalluvia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Additional Science is GCSE..
Additional is 'double'. Extension is 'triple'. They are both GCSE, but with Additional you gain two grades whereas in Extension you gain three grades for each science respectively.
manutd125
Rep:
?
Thanks
PinkPrincessLLB?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"The difference" is a HELL of a lot of work!
I was getting high As and A*s in GCSE, and will probably just about scrape a B in Additional :/
Good Luck
yeah yeah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by manutd125)
Hi in year 10 we did AQA GCSE science and in year 11 we have done AQA additional science what is the difference and is additional science considered more valuable than the Normal GCSE

thanks
The most obvious difference is that Core science (what you did in yr 10) is multiple choice and in Additional science you have do proper written answers.

Additional science is basically a step-up in difficulty from core and yeah i I found it a bit more tricky - it's not way way harder, just a bit

Apparently, so my teacher said, additional science is the one that is looked at more because it's harder - it's the one that they'll most look at if you wanna take a science at A - level.

Hope that helps
manutd125
Rep:
?
thanks. i got a D in core but i think i have got a C in additional
BSNLM_M
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!Where can I find a government rule where this is written?Best regrads
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BSNLM_M)
Hi!Where can I find a government rule where this is written?Best regrads
Why do you need to know? Additional Science GCSE is no longer available as a qualification so it may not be relevant to you.
BSNLM_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Why do you need to know? Additional Science GCSE is no longer available as a qualification so it may not be relevant to you.

Because I intend to apply for Medicine in Portugal and in the national legislation for equivalences, the GCSE is still awarded. So I need UK legislation where it says it's the same.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Both Science and Additional Science are 'normal GCSEs' and they both have the same value.
BSNLM_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Both Science and Additional Science are 'normal GCSEs' and they both have the same value.

Ok, but I have to show the UK legislation...
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BSNLM_M)
Ok, but I have to show the UK legislation...
What do you mean by the legislation? Do you need to show what a GCSE is? Do you need to show that A*-G grades are a previous version of GCSEs? Do you need to show that Science and Additional Science are different subjects? Do you need to show that they are a sufficient scientific grounding for studying Medicine at university (they're certainly not in the UK)?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed