Change course to econ whilst in university

Watch
This discussion is closed.
dropout
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Currently studying Physics, its crap. Im now again going through UCAS to do economics. I am applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick ..., notts has rejected me saying i dont have 4 A's (Didnt know i needed 4 a-levels). Whats the chance these places will accept me concidering i am a "drop out" and i only have 3 A's.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by dropout)
Currently studying Physics, its crap. Im now again going through UCAS to do economics. I am applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick ..., notts has rejected me saying i dont have 4 A's (Didnt know i needed 4 a-levels). Whats the chance these places will accept me concidering i am a "drop out" and i only have 3 A's.

You will have ALOT of explaining to do, as to why you changed subjects...... do you have some wk exp related to econ etc? btw what uni u at? if ur uni does econ, u might be abe to switch departments.
dropout
currently at imperial, so cant transfer departments. I cant really explain why, i just dont find it intresting anymore and i dont have any economics related workexperience, its quite difficult to find.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
currently at imperial, so cant transfer departments. I cant really explain why, i just dont find it intresting anymore and i dont have any economics related workexperience, its quite difficult to find.
hmm am going to imperial next year, i was also worried about the fact that i couldn't change to another department that was non-science(in particular econ) even if i wanted too. May i just ask what year are you in? and also, might it be worth sticking out the 3 years for a bachelors and then doing a masters in something like Management, which contains a significant amount of econ?
dropout
(Original post by BossLady)
hmm am going to imperial next year, i was also worried about the fact that i couldn't change to another department that was non-science(in particular econ) even if i wanted too. May i just ask what year are you in? and also, might it be worth sticking out the 3 years for a bachelors and then doing a masters in something like Management, which contains a significant amount of econ?
im 1st year. The only problem could be the cost of the masters which would be huge. I would suggest if a 4 year Msci course is open take it. U can change later and take whatever bussiness options are avalible from the bussiness school. Then when u graduate u can get a job and get proffesional training in whatever area u want to work in. Hope i helped.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
im 1st year. The only problem could be the cost of the masters which would be huge. I would suggest if a 4 year Msci course is open take it. U can change later and take whatever bussiness options are avalible from the bussiness school. Then when u graduate u can get a job and get proffesional training in whatever area u want to work in. Hope i helped.
Well since im doing computing i can do the computational management course, which would probs be better. Thinkk ill seriously consider this, thanks

Do you really dislike your course now? Cuz if you do, then def change. Would be awful to get a low degree class just cuz u hates the sub and didn't change. Econ is v competitive, which is a big prob, but i'm assuming you have decent grades right? (being at imp etc). Would you be able to explain your course change to an admissions tutor, wouldn't want them thinkign you're fickle or something, I guess it would be useful to have some type of wk exp in econ related stuff, i appreciate its soooo hard (my mate had a similar prob). But Anything would be fab..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads