The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

mobb_theprequel
Which is why it is sponsored by Deloitte and PWC among others and invites McKinsey and others to do workshops...

I think you'll find that the Investment society is the one that's 'specifically devoted to IB', funnily enough.

So sue me for getting the name of the society wrong :rolleyes:

How LSE... :wink:

--------------

Phonicsdude
What is this Tribe of Munt?
sounds fun!

Tribe of Munt is more grotty, with squat juice, industrial warehouses, even more drugs and acid techno (breakcore, D&B in the other room usually from the Itsy Bitsy rig).

Not the sort of thing lawyers do since it doesn't try to be legal in the faintest :wink:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
President_Ben
even more drugs

That's all I needed to know. Thank you. :biggrin:

(What's squat juice?)
(PM me if you dont want to sidetrack this thread)
President_Ben
So sue me for getting the name of the society wrong :rolleyes:

How LSE... :wink:

--------------

Tribe of Munt is more grotty, with squat juice, industrial warehouses, even more drugs and acid techno (breakcore, D&B in the other room usually from the Itsy Bitsy rig).

Not the sort of thing lawyers do since it doesn't try to be legal in the faintest :wink:

If you're going to spend most your day pontificating on the internet - very well: but at least attempt to get your facts right!

Back to the main thrust of this... you go out of your way to write off LSE's 'branding' etc. in terms of IB. But the reality is that for at least one IB we are in a higher tier than UCL - a tier which is occupied only by three unis, and you can probably guess the other two. We therefore get more money from them, and in the summer '05 intake at (un)said IB, in IBD, of *24 second years on the grad scheme 12 went to LSE, 5 to Cambridge and 3 to Oxford - with the others hailing from a variety of institutions. These patterns, I am told by reliable sources, are reflected at several banks - with Oxbridge and LSE in the ascendancy. Of course, I don't for a minute want to make out that UCL people don't work in the City or are arbitrarily looked down on. The "target schools" agenda is negated by the existence of tiers.

*edit: second years on the internship, who were made offers for graduate positions
Reply 63
Phonicsdude
Ghandi is the single most famous and respected law graduate in the world. UCL therefore has the best law department in the world.

The esteemed Mahatma Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi-ji ( to use his full title and honorifics) was a well known statesman. He was and is quite rightly esteemed for his great contributions to the world. He had many admirable qualities.

However, his skills as a lawyer were not one of these. He was a failure in his career as a lawyer. He was wildly unsuccessful in Bombay. He was sent to South Africa by his affluent father after he rendered himself unemployable even as a legal draftsman by picking quarrels.

He was equally unremarkable in the practice of law in South Africa. One of his biographies refers to him as the "Brief-less Barrister". In his entire life before politics, he had only two briefs. He abandoned the first one in a panic ( see below ). The second one was in South Africa.

Of course, his involvement in politics set the subcontinent on fire.

"Gandhi noticed that the home-bred Vakils of Rajkot knew more of Indian law and charged lower fees than England trained barristers. To practice in Rajkot was thus to invite sure ridicule; Gandhi, therefore, accepted the advice of friends to go to Bombay to study Indian law and to secure what briefs he could.

His experience in Bombay was no happier than in Rajkot. After waiting unconscionably, he got his first brief for the modest fee of thirty rupees. As he rose to cross-examine a witness, he was unable to collect his thoughts, collapsed into his chair and refunded the fee to his client. This was a disgraceful debut, which filled the young barrister with black despair as to his future in a profession he had entered at such a heavy cost.

The straits to which he had been reduced may be surmised from the fact that he applied and was turned down for a part time job as a teacher in a Bombay high school with the modest salary of seventy rupees (£5 1/2) a month. It was with some relief that he discovered that he had a flair for drafting memorials and petitions. He wound up his little establishment in Bombay and returned to Rajkot where petition-writing brought him an income of three hundred rupees a month. He might have settled down as a barrister scribe if he had not incurred the displeasure of the British Political Agent in Rajkot in whose court most of his work lay. So, when an offer of a job came to him from South Africa, he gladly accepted it."
Is there a source for that?

I didnt say he was respected for his work as a lawyer.
Nonetheless, he is a law graduate from UCL and he went on to great things.

Your correction would have some weight if law graduates neccesarily went into a career as a lawyer.
Indeed it is not even expected of you...
Reply 65
Phonicsdude
I didnt say he was respected for his work as a lawyer. Nonetheless, he is a law graduate from UCL and he went on to great things.

Gandhi was underwhelmed by UCL and even fails to mention it in his biography. :rolleyes:

He was far more impressed by the Vegetarian Society that he joined in Bloomsbury. :biggrin:

You could equally well say that joining the vegetarian society or coming from Rajkot leads to great things. The fact that his father was the Governor ( Devan ) of Rajkot probably did not hurt.
And so you make my point in reverse.
I say, "great alumni dont make a great university".
You say, "great universities dont necessarily make great alumni".
Phonicsdude
That's all I needed to know. Thank you. :biggrin:

(What's squat juice?)
(PM me if you dont want to sidetrack this thread)

Squat juice is a term for grime.

http://www.squatjuice.com is also a popular bulletin board for finding all the druggiest parties in London...

--------------

mobb_theprequel
blah blah

What kind of firm only offers 24 positions? :confused:

Most of the big banks who are actually worth working for offer about 200 in the UK alone... around 500 to 800 globally (because at LSE and UCL, I know a lot of people prefer to spend their summer internship in a different office - typically New York or Hong Kong since they plan to work there as a graduate!)

Talk about scrapping the barrel of straw like peanuts to use that as a guiding factor...
Reply 68
London School of Economics cannot be too bad at teaching Economics! Go to LSE!
achwplc

After all, it is called the london school of economics. :rolleyes:
Reply 70
achwplc
Oh I hear they're quite good for Medicine. :rolleyes:
N9ne
Oh I hear they're quite good for Medicine. :rolleyes:

LSE doesn't do medicine.

But if it did it'll probably have the best medical school in the world. :wink:
Reply 72
Researcher Lond
LSE doesn't do medicine.

But if it did it'll probably have the best medical school in the world. :wink:

i think n9ne was being sarcastic.

If lse did do medicine it would be crap - lse focuses on social sciences. If imperial did PPE do you think it would be good?
ba_ba1
i think n9ne was being sarcastic.

You think? :rolleyes:

ba_ba1
If lse did do medicine it would be crap - lse focuses on social sciences. If imperial did PPE do you think it would be good?

Imperial - a science university - has a graduate business school. It's rather good. Can you figure out the moral of the story?
Researcher Lond
Imperial - a science university - has a graduate business school. It's rather good. Can you figure out the moral of the story?

Well, competition in the UK for business schools is surprisingly low (because the US rules basically - we have LBS as the only really serious and brimming international contender to the likes of Harvard, Wharton and Kellogg) so it's easy to carve a good and quick reputation for being good.
President_Ben
Well, competition in the UK for business schools is surprisingly low (because the US rules basically - we have LBS as the only really serious and brimming international contender to the likes of Harvard, Wharton and Kellogg) so it's easy to carve a good and quick reputation for being good.

The amount of competition is irrelevent to the quality of a department. Imperial managed to establish an excellent school in an area outside it's traditional scope. I'm sure if LSE were to ever venture into medicine (of course it never will, we're speaking hypothetically) it would establish an equally impressive medical school.
Reply 76
Researcher Lond
You think? :rolleyes:

Then why did you have to state the obvious?

Imperials is not that brilliant. Tanaka got done for fraud or something like that and it is having a hard time building up its reputation.

Anyway, there is no such thing as "the best medical school in the world" since all medical schools teach the same thing and what medical school you graduate from makes no difference to your employment prospects.
ba_ba1
Then why did you have to state the obvious?

Imperials is not that brilliant. Tanaka got done for fraud or something like that and it is having a hard time building up its reputation.

Anyway, there is no such thing as "the best medical school in the world" since all medical schools teach the same thing and what medical school you graduate from makes no difference to your employment prospects.

I was joking with the poster (clue: look out for winks :wink: in posts).

The fact that different medical schools teach similar syllabuses in no way means they're the same.
Researcher Lond
Imperial managed to establish an excellent school

Is it excellent? Relative to UK competition sure. But in the global arena, which is where Imperial sees itself - no. Tanaka has potential and Imperial are doing a lot to back it but it really does remain to be seen whether or not it climb into the pen with the big boys of business schools globally...

Meanwhile, we really do not need to have a discussion on a hypothetically and surely never-going-to-happen LSE medical school :rolleyes:
Reply 79
Researcher Lond
I was joking with the poster (clue: look out for winks :wink: in posts).

The fact that different medical schools teach similar syllabuses in no way means they're the same.

did i ever say they were the same?

in terms of job prospects they are the same though.

Latest

Trending

Trending