Do you wear a seatbelt when driving a car? Watch

tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sr4470)
Hopefully he survived that...
Yes he did survive. He had some nasty injuries though. Im sure that he will always wear a seatbelt in future!
sr4470
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .Em.)
Yes he did survive. He had some nasty injuries though. Im sure that he will always wear a seatbelt in future!
Damn right. He probably got lucky because of you that time
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've never driven without wearing my seatbelt. Also when sitting as a passenger in the front I always wear a seatbelt. For some reason I usually don't wear one whilst sitting in the rear seats.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sr4470)
Old cars (like the kind I'd be able to afford) wont have airbags. Referring to the case Em mentioned with the guy hitting his head on the windscreen, it seems plausible that the steering column would be below ribcage level.
You will be surprised. All Fords from 1994 onwards have airbags and what is more tests have shown that the vast majority of cases unless the airbag warning lamp is on the bags will still work.

For taller people airbags are not as important as you're sat far back anyway the seat belt should do its job properly and ensure the head dosn't touch the steering wheel.

Breaks, steering, tryes and body structure are probably more important than airbags. We had a nasty ancident in a Punto MK1 but it had been designed with safety in mind we got out without a single injury. Two cars were written off and there was bits of car all the over the road.

The paramedics said if it was an older design without effective crumple zones we would have been badly injured.
sr4470
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
You will be surprised. All Fords from 1994 onwards have airbags and what is more tests have shown that the vast majority of cases unless the airbag warning lamp is on the bags will still work
I'm talking late 80s early 90s models (yes I'm cheap :rolleyes: ). Oh, and I wouldnt touch a Ford with a bargepole

Just for reference, I'm 5ft '11, and with a lot of the cars I've driven, I find my knees bashing on the steering column unless I move the seat 3\4 of the way back.
Fire Point
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I always wear seatbelts without exception in cars and minibuses and refuse to move if other passengers don't put theirs on as I get rather nervous about that.
Yesterday, this week a guy from my school got killed in a car crash and last year to of my friends were killed in a car crash, all passengers. I am hedging my bets that seatbelts are worth the time it takes to put them on and take them off.

WHERE SEATBELTS!
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I'm driving a short distance (less than 10 minutes) then I don't usually wear it, especially if there is no traffic - but if there's a lot of nutters around then I'll usually take the time to put it on.
TheWildChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its so shockign wne i see peopel put their belt on like half an hour into their drive (eh my dad even tho we always shout at him) and others too who only put it on wen they see cops.
davedave
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
I've never driven without wearing my seatbelt. Also when sitting as a passenger in the front I always wear a seatbelt. For some reason I usually don't wear one whilst sitting in the rear seats.

I wouldn't want someone sat behind me not wearing their seatbelt. In the event of a front on crash the last thing I want is a passenger flying into me from behind.

Someone sent me a video a while back that I wish I didn't see, but that I think would encourage people who don't to wear their seatbelts. Without a seatbelt you might not be sat in the seat you started in after the accident. If you're still in the car that is :eek:
Radiance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't drive yet so I have voted on behalf of my dad
He always buckles up.
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
There's definately a clear majority here TSR members must value their lives.

Is it just me, or have the three people who voted "No" not commented?
sebbie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
most of the time...

definitely more comfortable not to wear one tho, same with motorbike helmets....
michellehall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the only time seatbelts are difficult to wear is when you need a wee. i still keep it on but it is awful. i try to loosen it but it always seems to tighten within a minute or so. and for some reason i never seem to bother on coaches i know i should but it doesnt cross my mind when i get in
tomgiddings
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only times I do not wear a seatbelt are for maneuvers on our driveway, and even then thats only occasional.

Also bear in mind that if you have an airbag, and are not wearing a seatbelt, your chances of spinal injury could actually increase in a front on collision.

Its not like wearing a seatbelt is that hard.

http://www.safe2travel.co.uk/seatbelts/ (some statistics)
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I always wear mine. The only driving I've done so far is with my instructor who would tell me to anyway, but whenever I'm a passenger I do too. I see the three seconds it takes to clip it in as a worthwhile investment! I'm not one to judge, but people not wearing them makes no sense to me at all and makes me quite angry actually.

I got in a car the other day, reached for the seat belt without even thinking like always, then realised I wanted to put a CD in, I stopped putting on the belt for a second while the car was being moved from the parking space, and even for those couple of seconds I felt very exposed and vulnerable. Couldn't imagine actually driving/being driven without one on.
Road Racer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wouldnt drive without a seatbelt. Cant see the point.
josh1988uk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by davedave)
I wouldn't want someone sat behind me not wearing their seatbelt. In the event of a front on crash the last thing I want is a passenger flying into me from behind.

Someone sent me a video a while back that I wish I didn't see, but that I think would encourage people who don't to wear their seatbelts. Without a seatbelt you might not be sat in the seat you started in after the accident. If you're still in the car that is :eek:
To add to this when you crash at 40mph and the person behind you isnt wearing a seat belt their weight will be approaching at least a ton coming at you. That isnt going to help you or anyone else in the car.

I always wear my seatbelt and I will not drive off until my passengers have theirs on as well.
dooby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Always wear one, definitely. Unless I'm putting the car in the garage ie. moving about 10 metres at about 3mph! Once I forgot to put it on as I was leaving town, think I was being hurried out of my parking space - but before I'd even got down the hill I'd realised and put it on. My bf was once in a pretty bad crash and got some nasty injuries DUE to his seatbelt. I think it broke his rib (didn't know him at the time) but although they can cause injuries I think it is worth realising that it would no doubt be a lot worse if you didn't have one on. And my bf still always wears his seatbelt, although sometimes grumbling about it, he knows it's safer in the long run.
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Always on the road

Having been passenger in a head on - i thoroughly recommend a seat belt, its a life saver.
networkingNut
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eek: I always wear mine, infact i began to leave to drive sometimes without it once and to be honest it felt really wierd. Its a reaction, the first thing i would do. I refuse point blank to even start the car if any of my passengers dont wear belts. I think the adverts Think! campaigns are good (although they may not get through to some people). On a slight deviation i dont even drink and drive, dont even touch it. In a nutshell i think your mad if you dont wear one. Touch wood i have never been in a serious accident or had any points, long may it continue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads