Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    However its probably fair to say that the average candidate applying to Fitz is weaker than the average candidate at Trinity. However its just an average and the interviewers aren't going to think that simply because you applied to fitz you are a weak candidate.
    Thank the Lord that someone realised this... and thanks for making it Trinity too :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of weird there's a heirachy within the heirachy.

ReputationRep:
    firstly, most of the things your saying about fitz are speculation (as in are they naturally prejediced agaisnt the orignial apllicants)
    the stats from last year are particuallry surprsing but in the end, they porbably thought that of those who applied, only 1 was definitely good enough and they proabbly pooled many of the fringe people knowing that if they wanted, they still offer them.
    Also, for anyone thinking 'I wish I applied fitzwilliam now,' don't think that way, last year was probably a unique occasion and its unlikely that it will happen again. Also, there probably were a bunch of people who applied to fitz simply because of last years stats so competition weill prob be fiercer this year

ReputationRep:
    Can't 'through pools' also mean the summer pool? It states categorically pools, in the plural.

ReputationRep:
    there are 2 pools but its more like 1.5

the first pool is winterr pool which is through january

this is the major pool where hundreds of applicants are acceopted into a different college

the second minor pool is in august after the results. If a college finds that not enough ppl have made the grade to fill the course they were offered for, they mite take in other applicasnts

im very hazy but i think it doesnt include non cambridge people who were offered so say if college A gives outm more offers than it can technically fill ands two of the offered people dont make the grade, and then college b finds that not enough ppl have made the grade and it is undersubscirbed, then they can take applicants form A in the summer pool

sorry if ive got this hideously wrong but that was my impression of the pool

ReputationRep:
    Winter Pool: Your college thinks you are good enough for a place but have a lot of good applicants. Make your application available to other colleges who have not had enough quality applicants

Summer Pool: You miss your offer slightly (ie AAB with 479 for the B). Your college would take you normally but have had a lot of people hitting their offers and don't have any more places. Other colleges which have had a lot of people miss their offers might take you. Note: this is only for applicants who got an offer, you will not get a call in August asking you if you actually want a place after all.

I think the pool listed in the admissons statistics on the web are offers in the winter pool as it states All Offers (rather than all acceptances)

ReputationRep:
    My take on this is at big colleges like Trinity there are lots of applicants each year who are 'good enough for Cam & Trinity' but who are pooled because college literally doesn't have enough place. However, at say another college with lower applicant ratios and where average standards may be a bit lower, a person who is 'good enough' for Cam will have less competition from other applicants who are 'good enough' and so will be given an offer. I think that's the difference between Emma/Christs/Trinity and Fitz/Girton/Homerton.

I think what Pink Sparkles mentioned in her last post IS exactly what happens...

ReputationRep:
    You know what I think would be interesting? After offers and rejections are made, a random sample of all APPLICANTS should be taken from say Trinity and say Fitz. Copies of ALL their apllications/interview notes etc should be sent to teh Admissions Tutors of both colleges for a 'reselection'*. It would then be interesting to see whether Fitz Tutors chose a greater proportion of Trinity applicants - or maintained the same proportion of Fitz applicants as before.

*Obviously this reselection is hypothetical...those who have had offers made by the college they applied to keep them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    You know what I think would be interesting? After offers and rejections are made, a random sample of all APPLICANTS should be taken from say Trinity and say Fitz. Copies of ALL their apllications/interview notes etc should be sent to teh Admissions Tutors of both colleges for a 'reselection'*. It would then be interesting to see whether Fitz Tutors chose a greater proportion of Trinity applicants - or maintained the same proportion of Fitz applicants as before.

*Obviously this reselection is hypothetical...those who have had offers made by the college they applied to keep them!!!
    That post makes you look like such an economist!

ReputationRep:
    If I knew of all this 'weaker' applicant and lower-standard bizness, wouldve applied to Trinity! At least I couldve gone down with some pride!

ReputationRep:
    Remember you do not necessarily need to conform to our hypothetical average

ReputationRep:
    Yer, that's one of the reasons I ap-pplied downing
    Its got such a great law rep and the most places for law so I obviously hope I get in but if I get pooled, so many of its pooled applicants get taken up. I think the guy said that last year, 35/50 got accepted so overall, out of about 120 who applied, a little over 50 got accepted into cambridge somewhere
    But i probs would have applied to dwning regardles,, it jsut so great looking and has so many grat things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthi)
    If I knew of all this 'weaker' applicant and lower-standard bizness, wouldve applied to Trinity! At least I couldve gone down with some pride!
    Well I guess by your reckoning, I'll go down in pride on the 31st

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess by your reckoning, I'll go down in pride on the 31st
    agreed I hope they won't give me a reason to 'what if'..

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly monkeys, the two of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azam)
    But i probs would have applied to dwning regardles,, it jsut so great looking and has so many grat things
    sooo true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Don't be silly monkeys, the two of you
    Okay I won't be silly...but being a monkey is alright, isn't it?

isn't it?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.