The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics

So close to choosing English instead of physics but really, this is with my logic the best combination for medicine.
Original post by pink pineapple
Oh no, don't be scared of Sixth Form! It's chaotic at first but once it gets to around November everything settles down. Are you moving schools or going to college? I also found it difficult at first as I had to change schools so as well as the work I had to get used to a new environment. Teachers are a lot more sympathetic at A-level with the work level for example if you need an extended deadline as you have so much work they'll understand :smile:

I'm not moving schools so I won't have to get used to another school. I wanted to move schools but my parents wouldn't let me :colone: Said it would disrupt my learning too much... :/ I guess once I get used to 6th form it won't be that bad. But it just seems so different to high school, so that's why its kinda daunting. But I'm looking forward to it anyways :biggrin:
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
I know it sounds weird, but I love writing essays. Especially essays on books :biggrin: Shouldn't be too hard then, and I love love love reading :smile: Guess English lit is a good subject for me :rolleyes: Science isn't too bad, but I seriously dislike physics. It's so confusing. :frown: I prefer chemistry, because at least there's some bits that I can actually understand lol

hehe i do chemistry :smile: GL :smile:
Original post by cuckoo99
hehe i do chemistry :smile: GL :smile:

Same to you :biggrin:
Reply 1304
History Religious Studies Biology Politics :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by gravitationalpull
So, what is everyone in Year 11 planning to take next year?

I will talk either of the following two :

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry

If I think I can handle it then I might do 5 AS levels and cut down to 4 in A2. Only time will tell.

I'm thinking of doing pretty much the same thing! I thought I was near enough the only one! (Luckily I have one friend taking the same options as me)

I'm hoping to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I was thinking of taking a fifth for the first year because one of my teachers said that taking further maths is sort of half an A-level. But I'm not sure. I might ask to do an extra subject on my induction day just to see, you should too if you have one! :biggrin:

Good luck in your exams (:
Original post by j.alexanderh
Maths + Further, Physics, Japanese, Music.

Expecting to see lots of enthusiastic future music students, I haven't come across many so far.

Edit: WHY IS NO-ONE DOING MUSIC?

Haha I hate music gcse its awful I've been playing an instrument for 8 years and so my theory is quite good but it's only in the last week or two of the WHOLE year I've learnt a little bit because they literally had to start at the very beginning for everyone else which means I felt frustrated and bored lol, I also hated performance bits of it as soo much time was taken for it and I pretty much got mine sorted in a week or so. Everyone else in my class seems to enjoy it though it's just my personal opinion, I wish I had picked geography instead!

anyone got any views/experience on what A-Level Maths will be like? I'm confident of getting an A at IGCSE (having sat the two exams) and hoping for an A*. Not sure on Maths as I'm slightly worried it will be too difficult.
I no that i will defo take history is me favourite subject i am also considering taking biology and french
i'm not sure i'm defo doing maths and history but im stuck either chemistry/biology/economics
what do you guys think?
Original post by gravitationalpull
So, what is everyone in Year 11 planning to take next year?

I will talk either of the following two :

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry

If I think I can handle it then I might do 5 AS levels and cut down to 4 in A2. Only time will tell.

history, english language & literature, spanish and either sociology or Italian :smile:
Original post by benpearson1
anyone got any views/experience on what A-Level Maths will be like? I'm confident of getting an A at IGCSE (having sat the two exams) and hoping for an A*. Not sure on Maths as I'm slightly worried it will be too difficult.

Don't worry, Maths A-Level is alright. All you need to do is practice it and seriously you will be fine. I actually much prefer it to the GCSE, it's so much more interesting! I really hope you enjoy it! It's fairly difficult but rewarding! :biggrin:
Original post by Larry31
Don't worry, Maths A-Level is alright. All you need to do is practice it and seriously you will be fine. I actually much prefer it to the GCSE, it's so much more interesting! I really hope you enjoy it! It's fairly difficult but rewarding! :biggrin:

Ah thanks, hopefully I'll do it now. Good luck with the rest of your work then! I take it your at the end of AS?
Reply 1313
English Language, Maths, French & Sociology.

I wish to go into law in the future :smile:
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.

COME AT ME BRO.
Reply 1315
I made my previous post (post #1323) about doing English Language, Sociology, French and Maths. However I'd be really grateful if someone could provide some advice.

I definitely want to do maths and French. Is English Language well thought of when applying for law? I quite fancy doing something like Government & Politics, Economics (or even chemistry, I've got A/A* in dual award science, it's something I tend to enjoy but not majorly). I chose history as a GCSE but it isn't something I really enjoy, I'm quite good at it but it's not a lesson that I really look forward to having. I like the thought of doing sociology but have heard it to be considered a 'soft' subject, is this true and would it go down badly when applying for university?

Any advice would help! :smile:
Original post by benpearson1
Ah thanks, hopefully I'll do it now. Good luck with the rest of your work then! I take it your at the end of AS?

You really should! It's well worth the effort. I don't know what subjects you are planning on taking, but there are places in A2 Chemistry where we have to use AS-Level Maths, so it does link in to other science subjects :smile: Yes, finished AS about a month or so ago and have just started my A2 courses in Bio, Chem and Maths :biggrin:
Maths, further maths, history, music, and English lit
Original post by Brebel
I made my previous post (post #1323) about doing English Language, Sociology, French and Maths. However I'd be really grateful if someone could provide some advice.

I definitely want to do maths and French. Is English Language well thought of when applying for law? I quite fancy doing something like Government & Politics, Economics (or even chemistry, I've got A/A* in dual award science, it's something I tend to enjoy but not majorly). I chose history as a GCSE but it isn't something I really enjoy, I'm quite good at it but it's not a lesson that I really look forward to having. I like the thought of doing sociology but have heard it to be considered a 'soft' subject, is this true and would it go down badly when applying for university?

Any advice would help! :smile:

Hey, I am looking to go into law too! Maths and French are great options, but English Language and Sociology are unfortunately both seen as softer subjects. You'd probably be better off with English Lit rather than Language, but I would recommend sticking with Sociology (I am doing it for GCSE and love it).

Oh, and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. :smile:
I hope to take French, German, Music and English (not sure about literature or language yet). The only thing is, I'm having some issues finding a sixth form college that can accommodate this combination. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to find a solution.

Quick Reply

Latest