A2 Physics: Circular Motion Help

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
abbieisthebest
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
How do you do this question below? :

Calculate the angular displacement in radians of the tip of the minute hand of a clock in one second.

Thanks!
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Angular speed = Angle / Time
abbieisthebest
Rep:
But you don't know the angular speed!
ibysaiyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You use the displacement formula which if my memory serves me right is : A w ?? =??t + 0.5?t²
Ignore this post,read the one after this.
abbieisthebest
Rep:
I don't know, had my first A2 lesson today, so haven't got that far :/
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abbieisthebest)
But you don't know the angular speed!
It moves around 1/60th of a circle in 60 seconds.
ibysaiyan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I don't know, had my first A2 lesson today, so haven't got that far :/
Here is the formula : A sin wt
To get angular velocity,W = 2pi/t =]
abbieisthebest
Rep:
How did you work that out? Sorry for my ignorance
abbieisthebest
Rep:
Would you be able to show me how you work it out with the example above please?
ibysaiyan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Would you be able to show me how you work it out with the example above please?
First find angular velocity which is 2pi/ T,
T= 1/60seconds if I am not wrong.Make sure your calculator is in radians ,the value which you get,plug it into the above formula,cha ching.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I get pi/1800.
Davott
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ibysaiyan)
First find angular velocity which is 2pi/ T,
T= 1/60seconds if I am not wrong.Make sure your calculator is in radians ,the value which you get,plug it into the above formula,cha ching.
It's looking for angular displacement, which should be the distance moved by the hand.

I would:

1) Find out how many degrees a clock goes round in 1 second (360/60)

2) Convert this to radians. (radians = degrees * (pi/180))

Although I may not be right. Do you have any access to the answer?
afcsmithyafc
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Because it is the minute hand, you do

60 x 60 = 3600

so that is 1/3600 x 2pi

= 1/1800 pi
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I got pi/1800 using the Angular speed = Angle / Time method and get shot down.
Its Mr pineapple
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
First: you have to calculate the degrees of the arc length. 360/60 = 6 degrees

Second: you must convert the degrees into radians. (2pi/360) * 6 = 0.1047... radians

Third: radians * time = 0.1407 * (1/60) = 1.75 * 10^-3 rad s^-1
username2548927
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
How do you do this question below? :

Calculate the angular displacement in radians of the tip of the minute hand of a clock in one second.

Thanks!
Well you know that for every minute the minute hand will rotate 1/60th of the clock. One complete rotation is equal to 2pi. So angular displacement in 1 minute is equal to 2pi/60 rads or pi/30 rads. But it asks for the angular displacement in 1 second, so just simply divide ((pi/30)/60). Final answer should be 1.75x10^-3 rads. I think his is right, anyone tell me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2548927
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Lmao I just realised this was posted 5 years ago. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shannon Clarke
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RossB1702)
Lmao I just realised this was posted 5 years ago. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, thanks your explanation was the clearest anyway. Students are still struggling with this question 6 years later lol
aliyanshaikh786
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
same mate
aliyanshaikh786
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
great explanation
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
42.68%
Not yet, but I will soon (57)
17.38%
No (131)
39.94%

Watched Threads