Turn on thread page Beta

Cash or ATMs.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im going to America on holiday, am I better off taking a large wad of cash or just withdrawing it from ATMs when im over there? by better off i mean what will be cheaper? I know there is a commission charged by the bank but is this overuled by the advantageous exchange rate? (Do they actually use the real exchange rate or do they mug you off with it as well?)

i would take cash. also , get more cash a few days before you need it incase there is a problem

Use cards where possible. Use ATMs where possible. Take some cash nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in Alaska, I found that my debit card would not work in their ATMs. My mastercard would work, but you are obviously charged a fortune for using them to draw out cash in another country. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to take travellers cheques, some cash, and a credit card for using in emergencies.

ReputationRep:
    The bank will charge you for using an ATM abroad.

Also,as someone else has pointed out,I have difficulty fnding ATMs that will accept my cards when I'm in north America.

ReputationRep:
    ATM all the time. Less risk, more convenient, better rate.

ReputationRep:
    I only got charged £1.50 for taking money out in the US and wasnt charged at all for using my visa. Avoid taking large amounts of cash-take travellers cheques.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.