This discussion is closed.
caseyd
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hi guys
ive applied for business manag. i am still waiting for manag sciences(Warwick and LSE) and Business admin (Bath).
As these courses are quite numerical based i was wondering if doing maths to just AS level will disadvantage me in getting an offer.

for my GCSE: 4a* (inc maths) 2a (inc German) 4b (inc eng lang) and 2c
As results: Bus (a) computing (a) Maths (b) physics (b)

as i got a higher b in physics i choose to do bus, computing and physics to A2. Am i at a disadvantage for not picking maths instead. none of the courses actaully required a maths A (or AS) level but they all do contain quantative (sp?) methods and a bit of stats.
so any what do u think? im getting worried cos i havent heard from any of these unis so far - 4months since application!

any replies are most welcome thx
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by caseyd)
hi guys
ive applied for business manag. i am still waiting for manag sciences(Warwick and LSE) and Business admin (Bath).
As these courses are quite numerical based i was wondering if doing maths to just AS level will disadvantage me in getting an offer.

for my GCSE: 4a* (inc maths) 2a (inc German) 4b (inc eng lang) and 2c
As results: Bus (a) computing (a) Maths (b) physics (b)

as i got a higher b in physics i choose to do bus, computing and physics to A2. Am i at a disadvantage for not picking maths instead. none of the courses actaully required a maths A (or AS) level but they all do contain quantative (sp?) methods and a bit of stats.
so any what do u think? im getting worried cos i havent heard from any of these unis so far - 4months since application!

any replies are most welcome thx

well i reckon if u hadn't done maths at all, u would be disadvantaged or even rejected.....but AS level is better than nothing........hmmm.........i guess A level would have been a bonus but i can't see that as being a major factor. i think ur subject choices r prob more important, and GCSE grades, AS grades.....predicted grades, and personal statement.
I applied for management too.....i've got offers from Bath and Warwick, but rejected by LSE.......so ur still hanging in there having not heard.......its not a bad thing at all. good luck
MuvverRussia
Report 17 years ago
For the maths in Management Science you should be ok (I do accounting and finance, but do the same 1st year modules as man sci), as long as you're prepared to work at it. I did A level maths and AS further maths and I still find some of the maths challenging (MA107 btw- AS maths means that you can't do MA106, a bit of a stupid rule in my opinion as MA107 is structured as a Post A level course). As for it being disadvantageous to you getting an offer I don't think anyone could say yes or no.
lalla
Report 17 years ago
hi i have also chosen to study business management and maths is not essential most courses want you to have maths and eng lang at grade C in GCSE AND i can see you have both of them. quantative methods are mostly questionnaires , trends , graphs etc so u dont need to have any a or as level in maths.
as long as u have a grade c or above for maths at gcse that is good enough unless it says on the uni course requirements
hope this helps
MuvverRussia
Report 17 years ago
lalla- I wish quantitive methods was what you said it is (bear in mind that I actually do the man sci maths courses for people with AS/A2 maths (MA107, there's also a lesser course called MA106 but a prerequisite for that is that you haven't done AS/A2 maths).

'quantative methods are mostly questionnaires , trends , graphs'- here quantitive methods is calculating trends through differentiation by using the lagrangian method, theres also a hell of a lot of stuff like advanced matrices and vectors. In general, you'll find the maths challenging without the full A level.

To put it into context, if you got a C grade in GCSE maths you wouldn't have a hope in hell doing something like management, man sci, econ, accfin etc. Maths underpins these courses so much that if you struggled to achieve a reasonable GCSE grade in maths and didn't continue to AS/A2 then I'd say you would find everything next to impossible- I know a guy who started accounting and finance last year with only GCSE maths and failed it- he's now going geography here.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (381)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (362)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.67%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.03%
Loneliness (218)
8.49%
Financial worries (94)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (242)
9.42%

Watched Threads