on the pope's recent trip to australia...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ben.S.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Replying to Bigcnee and Joey Johns

The Pope is widely regarded to have very conservative views on sex. In countries like Italy and Ireland you can buy condoms and go on the pill. This isn't possible in developing countries, like the Philippines, or in some African states. There are 1 billion catholics worldwide, and the overwhelming majority are in developing states with strict views on the Vatican's policies.

He is anti abortion, so if a woman or girl is raped in a strict Catholic state, they have to carry the child.

The Vatican's official line on condoms is that they have holes in them, and do not spread HIV. Which of course is absolute rubbish. This is absurd nonsense.
Of course we know it's absolute rubbish - but do all Catholics? It sounds as if they're imposing their ideals on those who aren't in a position to know otherwise - exploitation of ignorance.

Ben
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
i personally have a stigma against the catholic church because they were in power during the devoloping stages of the bible.....so naturally, they are going to put what gives them the most power, and not nessicarily the truth.
I really don't understand this.
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
1) SO he has Conservative views on sex - what's it to you?
2) You can buy Condoms in the Philippines
3) Being anti-abortion isn't "wrong". Unless we are now counting some opinions as wrong.
4) Not an official line. Secular propaganda.
yes, but it is so strongly discouraged, buying them would be like pasting a sign on yourself that says "sinner"
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yes, but it is so strongly discouraged, buying them would be like pasting a sign on yourself that says "sinner"
I was contesting an innaccuracy.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
3) Being anti-abortion isn't "wrong". Unless we are now counting some opinions as wrong.
What's it to me? I'm concerned about the spread of Aids. I'm concerned that he is discouraging the use of contraception in states ravaged by Aids.

I think condoms should be more widely available.

I believe in the woman's right to choose.

It is an official line.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/3180236.stm
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I really don't understand this.
ok, i'll explain it again. christianity as a whole is based off of one original copy of the bible, the catholic one. a long time ago when the pope was the most powerful man in europe, everyone believed to go to heaven, you had to literally worship him.

since the people could not read, they could not interpret the bible as they pleased, allowing bibles to become more and more militant about the belief that the ONLY way you could go to heaven was through the catholic church. this already ingrained in the people's minds let the pope and the priests selectively edit things out.

therefore, the reason, why i believe the bible says the only way you can reach heaven is through jesus. because at the time, the only way to reach jesus, was through the catholic church.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
When the new pope comes in, being mnay decades younger than the current one with different ideas etc, many people believe the new pope will change certain morals like the no condoms one.

Your ignorance lets you down, this time about abortion. The catholic church will support (and I mean financially as well as spiritually) any woman who is in two minds on whether to have an abortion or not. The church will do everything it can to help a baby grow up loved and cherished. That is clearly terrible.
But what happens if the new Pope makes no such changes?
It's what the baby grows into that has to feel loved and cherished - how would you feel knowing that your mum didn't want to give you life? Just because the church will 'do everything it can' does not mean that it can do enough.

Ben
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeh. They were in power when the bible was written? What? The new testamnet was written by jews. The catholic church didnt exist.
no, actually constantine, the "founder" of the catholic held a meeting in Rome at the time where the senate decided what would be in the new testament or not.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ok, i'll explain it again. christianity as a whole is based off of one original copy of the bible, the catholic one. a long time ago when the pope was the most powerful man in europe, everyone believed to go to heaven, you had to literally worship him.

since the people could not read, they could not interpret the bible as they pleased, allowing bibles to become more and more militant about the belief that the ONLY way you could go to heaven was through the catholic church. this already ingrained in the people's minds let the pope and the priests selectively edit things out.

therefore, the reason, why i believe the bible says the only way you can reach heaven is through jesus. because at the time, the only way to reach jesus, was through the catholic church.
Jesus came before the Catholic Church.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
But what happens if the new Pope makes no such changes?
It's what the baby grows into that has to feel loved and cherished - how would you feel knowing that your mum didn't want to give you life? Just because the church will 'do everything it can' does not mean that it can do enough.

Ben
Ironically enough, it is said that an future Pope "moderniser" will be the anti-Christ.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes and your point is? The new testament was written by jews. I admit the Pauline gospel should have been included, it was the most realistic one by far, mainly because Paul knew Jesus, but thats irrelvent. It was written by jews not catholics.
but it was edited by the catholics, not the jews. the jews might have written the truth, but since it didnt give the catholics enough power, the catholics IGNORED it.

did you know they found over 100 gospels in the dead sea scrolls? how many of these are in the bible? 4.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
but it was edited by the catholics, not the jews. the jews might have written the truth, but since it didnt give the catholics enough power, the catholics IGNORED it.

did you know they found over 100 gospels in the dead sea scrolls? how many of these are in the bible? 4.
But then we wouldn't be able to put the Bible in Hotel bedside cabinets.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ironically enough, it is said that an future Pope "moderniser" will be the anti-Christ.
Probably a professor of physics or biology. That could be amusing. Designer Catholics, GM wine...

Ben
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Probably a professor of physics or biology. That could be amusing. Designer Catholics, GM wine...

Ben
Hehe.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But then we wouldn't be able to put the Bible in Hotel bedside cabinets.
so? its an example of the editing!

i think im anti religion by nature......everyone, ignore me!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so? its an example of the editing!
I was trying to be humorous.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was trying to be humorous.
i see. well, i have a fever, i have an excuse!
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What's it to me? I'm concerned about the spread of Aids. I'm worried that he is discouraging the use of contraception in states ravaged by Aids.

I think condoms should be more widely available.

I believe in the woman's right to choose.

It is the official line. Have a look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programm...ama/3180236.stm
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You need to get out more. Sure aids is bad but its not the only problem in the world.
Thanks. Thats true, there are other problems. This is serious though, millions have died, millions are affected.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You need to get out more. Sure aids is bad but its not the only problem in the world.
its one of the more serious ones though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads