English Language & Literature WJEC - LL4 - 16th June Watch

pollyyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Heya, is anyone studying the core text for Wuthering Heights for this exam?
If so, what themes are you hoping will come up?
I'm bagging on contrast and love.... we'll see.
jbarfie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pollyyyy)
Heya, is anyone studying the core text for Wuthering Heights for this exam?
If so, what themes are you hoping will come up?
I'm bagging on contrast and love.... we'll see.
I'm doing this exam! and wuthering heights
love would be amazing!!! I think it could be presentation of women, death, class maybe
narrative voice would be beautiful!!!
What do you mean by contrast?
pollyyyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Contrast would be a brilliant question - like contrasting Thrushcross Grange and Wuthering Heights.... Linton and Hareton... Heathcliff and Edgar etc.
Futuro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anybody have any helpful revision laterial for Wuthering heights? Anything that contains all the themes etc?

Also how do you structure the comparison of three unseen texts? I usually go for purpose, audience, context, attitude, linguistic devices..

All contribution will be appreciated.
M. M
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If death came up, how would you actually tackle it? The only tragic event I can think about is Cathy's exaggerated death.
Futuro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by M. M)
If death came up, how would you actually tackle it? The only tragic event I can think about is Cathy's exaggerated death.
The novel is filled with death...

Catherine, Hindley, Frances, Isabella etc.
You can relate this to contextual factors as Emily Bronte's family was also plagued with illness and consequently death.
2009j
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im doing wuthering heights as well, as for structuring your answer would it be good to set it out as:-

1. Quote - followed by what its shows about the way ... is presented
2. compare it to wider reading
3. how the context helps to support this
??

and also how many quotes would be good amount to answer the question?
M. M
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Futuro)
The novel is filled with death...

Catherine, Hindley, Frances, Isabella etc.
You can relate this to contextual factors as Emily Bronte's family was also plagued with illness and consequently death.
I know the novel is filled with death but - other than like 2 characters - it isn't really emphasised on. For example, Hindley's death proves to be a sudden death and isn't really stressed on. Also, cause of his death is ambigious since there is no 'clear' account of what the cause is.

but fair, it does seem rewarding in terms of context.

Thanks for reply.
DanAamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey i have this exam tomorrow,
Do any of you have documents with quotes or themes from wuthering heights?
this would be massively helpful!
If possible could you email me all you got on wuthering heights as i dont have much notes on it.

Dan
bethazz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by M. M)
I know the novel is filled with death but - other than like 2 characters - it isn't really emphasised on. For example, Hindley's death proves to be a sudden death and isn't really stressed on. Also, cause of his death is ambigious since there is no 'clear' account of what the cause is.

but fair, it does seem rewarding in terms of context.

Thanks for reply.
Hey In our class we tend to talk about how Mr Earnshaw's death is really peaceful , I don't remember the quote exactly but it's something like 'he died quietly.. da di da' in contrast to say Heathcliff's death which is presented as really violent. So just go on about stuff like that haha
abi.tanner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have a feeling that the genre study will be okay, just add as much non-lit/lit analysis and then context context context
but themes in wuthering heights etc is going to be quite difficult.
what takes the longest is thinking of 2 NON FICTION things to compare to wuthering heights, FICTION i'm okay on as i normally chose Shakespeare or Chaucer and then something silly like a disney movie
In my last essay I used that divorce of Cheryl and Ashley Cole as a non-fiction example. That's how random I am. Oh God.... going to start looking at current events now :/
DanAamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im hoping the theme of love comes up, praying Or even death.
Or even Social Class.
Anything else that could come up?
jbarfie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Contrast would be a brilliant question - like contrasting Thrushcross Grange and Wuthering Heights.... Linton and Hareton... Heathcliff and Edgar etc.

Well done you got it right!
I did presentation of women which I predicated yesterday so I'm thrilled!
Trav77
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did contrasts
Wuthering Heights - Thrushcross Grange
Heathcliff - Edgar
Othello - Iago
Eternal love in wuthering heights and love ending with death in Funeral Blues poem by W.H Auden.
Then said Funeral Blues contrasts wuthering heights as in FB he says 'pour away the oceans and sweep up the wood, for nothing now can ever come to any good' whereas in Wuthering heights nature continues as Heathcliff and Cathy are seen as ghosts on the moors after they are dead.

Hopefully I did okay Hope everyone else was fine.
M. M
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How did you guys find it? every1 seems pleased with section B (WH). However, how did you find section A?... it was pretty hard
jbarfie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by M. M)
How did you guys find it? every1 seems pleased with section B (WH). However, how did you find section A?... it was pretty hard
Section A was hard tbh took me a while to understand what Text B! Section B was great though
emma9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Heyy
well i found section A hard. I didnt really understand the poem, and althought i did link the image/portrayal of sea somehow, thinking about it, i didnt use any simile's or metaphors which is just really stupid!
I dont know why i found it so hard, eurgh im so annoyed at section A
anyhow section b had the question i wanted to come up which was awesome! i did presentation of women in my core text wuthering heights and linked it to the poem she walks in beauty and othello. although thinking about it, i didnt even read the other options, i just saw women and was like BOOM im doing youu
but yeah section A sucked, oh no i hate the sea now
nataliexo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Section A was tough! I just banged on about how it was a hard life for a sailor but each text had different views on it and arghh ahah!
Section B was great! I did the presentation of women for Wuthering Heights, was fine! Brought in Much Ado, East is East, Shirley Valentine, Hobson's Choice... really went for it with Section B!

Good luck everyone, hope you all did fine!
zammie1603
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really hated this exam! Section A was just so hard =/ Didnt' know what to write.
For section B wrote about role of women but not much. I know I failed
SaracottaPie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
good thing we got this question then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.13%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.9%
No, but I want to start (173)
35.89%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (139)
28.84%