The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

lse - maths & economics

is this a really popular course or something? cuz every time i hear someone mention it, theyve either got rejected or are on the shortlist when theyve actually be predicted the right grades!!!!!!!!!!

how do they choose?

im scared as fuck cuz i didnt even take eco a level. they say its not a requirement only maths is, but i reckon it would sway their eventual decision. FUCKED = ME
It could affect your decision, but economics a level isn't important for the course from a practical view point. You'll find that even the economics on it is all maths (partial derivatives, logarithms etc).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
im scaredddddddddd

i wanna goooo so bad
Reply 3
muvver russia - are you doing maths and eco?
Reply 4
Leeroy
muvver russia - are you doing maths and eco?

No shes doin accountin and finance.

and eco is not important for the course - i think they prefer people with a mathematical or scientific background so if u r doin further maths, physics, chemistry and obviously maths - uve got an advantage.
Sourmak- last time I checked I was a guy.............I still am btw :tongue:. My name started off as a piss take of communism in the soviet union when we wrote a Welsh magazine (MamRwsia)- it's almost a stereotypical communist reference to the Soviet Union- i.e. the motherland. This then changed to MotherRussia (literal translation), before becoming corrupted through time into MuvverRussia.

I know about maths and econ because a hell of a lot of 1st year LSE courses share modules, pretty much everyone does econ B. For that course maths is definately preferable to economics at A level, although you'd be advised to read an econ A level text book (Such as Economics by Alain Anderton) over the summer.
Reply 6
MuvverRussia
Sourmak- last time I checked I was a guy.............I still am btw :tongue:. My name started off as a piss take of communism in the soviet union when we wrote a Welsh magazine (MamRwsia)- it's almost a stereotypical communist reference to the Soviet Union- i.e. the motherland. This then changed to MotherRussia (literal translation), before becoming corrupted through time into MuvverRussia.

I know about maths and econ because a hell of a lot of 1st year LSE courses share modules, pretty much everyone does econ B. For that course maths is definately preferable to economics at A level, although you'd be advised to read an econ A level text book (Such as Economics by Alain Anderton) over the summer.

any suggestions of books for elementary statistics/mathematical methods/abstract mathematics?
Reply 7
MuvverRussia

any suggestions of books for elementary statistics/mathematical methods/abstract mathematics? (if u do any of those modules)
OK- there's two books, 1 stats one and 1 maths one.

Maths: Mathematics for economics and finance, methods and modelling by Martin Anthony and Norman Biggs (ISBN 0-521-55913-8)

Stats: Introductory (yeah, right :tongue:) statistics for business and economics, fourth ed by Thomas H. Wonacott and Ronald J. Wonacott (ISBN 0-471-61517-X)

The maths one is brilliantly written- It's by far the best book I've bought this year. The stats one on the other hand is a bit dodgy- it covers the stuff, but in a really overcomplicated way.

BTW- Leeroy, if you're doing MA107 and ST107 then these books are all you need. I can't help with any other modules sorry.
Reply 9
MuvverRussia
OK- there's two books, 1 stats one and 1 maths one.

Maths: Mathematics for economics and finance, methods and modelling by Martin Anthony and Norman Biggs (ISBN 0-521-55913-8)

Stats: Introductory (yeah, right :tongue:) statistics for business and economics, fourth ed by Thomas H. Wonacott and Ronald J. Wonacott (ISBN 0-471-61517-X)

The maths one is brilliantly written- It's by far the best book I've bought this year. The stats one on the other hand is a bit dodgy- it covers the stuff, but in a really overcomplicated way.

BTW- Leeroy, if you're doing MA107 and ST107 then these books are all you need. I can't help with any other modules sorry.

erm i think so, im doin maths and eco, and i think theyre both first year. Thanks especially for the stats one theres nothin about that module one the website - and is the other one really that good? its not stated on the website?

cheers
I doubt you'll be doing MA107 and ST107 if you do maths and econ- you'll probably do MA100 and ST102 instead. Whatever happens don't buy these books as you'll have wasted the best part of £80 lol.

I just checked- you'll do EC102, MA100, ST102 and MA103- you're in for a fun year :tongue:.
Reply 11
MuvverRussia
I doubt you'll be doing MA107 and ST107 if you do maths and econ- you'll probably do MA100 and ST102 instead. Whatever happens don't buy these books as you'll have wasted the best part of £80 lol.

I just checked- you'll do EC102, MA100, ST102 and MA103- you're in for a fun year :tongue:.

I hope thats not sarcastic :frown: , are they hard or boring or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending