The Student Room Group

Stalling on Hill Starts.

I've learnt in a diesel car, a colt, and passed in this 10 days ago.
Now i'm driving my own petrol, clio.

But when i'm at hill starts, i stall pretty often!
I end up revving it a LOAD so i don't stall it, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Beginners guide to hill starts.

1) Hand brake up.
2)Clutch down, gear 1.
3) Lift clutch and put your foot on the gas to reach the biting point.
4) On a hill start it is important to notice the front of the car 'rise' up, when finding the biting point.
5) At this point you can release the hand brake and carry on up the hill.

Hope that helps.
If your revving like mad, you don't have enough clutch.

Don't pull off until you feel the angle of the car change, then when you do pull away, give it a little extra gas.
Reply 3
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
If your revving like mad, you don't have enough clutch.

Don't pull off until you feel the angle of the car change, then when you do pull away, give it a little extra gas.

This is what i'm not doing, I'm not giving more gas when i pull away :P
I usually just find the biting point with ~2000 revs, and then don't press my accelerator down more! Either i'm putting the clutch too high or not revving it enough!

I'll give this a go, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
revving it too much by the sounds of it
Reply 5
You're not modulating the clutch enough. 'More revs' won't really help - 2000 is more than enough to get you going. Stalling happens when you lift the clutch too fast. If you don't feel the clutch enough yet you just need to practice until you get it. Try holding the car on a hill using only the clutch - its bad for the clutch I know - but it'll teach you valuable skills about clutch control. When doing hill starts in my car with a 40 year old 1.1L petrol engine I barely need to go above idle, just through feeling the clutch. You'll get there in time.
Reply 6
Original post by Luke0011
I've learnt in a diesel car, a colt, and passed in this 10 days ago.
Now i'm driving my own petrol, clio.

But when i'm at hill starts, i stall pretty often!
I end up revving it a LOAD so i don't stall it, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers :smile:

Don't worry, I've been passed for quite a while now and still stall sometimes. Best advise is not to panick when you do stall just take your time in restarting the car. It can be a bit embarassing though when you have your mates in the car! How is the driving going, are you building up confidence yet?
Your clutch control isn't on point....

You're not reaching the biting point, the engine sound will change so you'll know :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Your clutch control isn't on point....

You're not reaching the biting point, the engine sound will change so you'll know :wink:

That's the theory, it isn't that easy in practice especially when you have just passed your test and are on your own in the car. Every new driver stalls!
Original post by tobie123
That's the theory, it isn't that easy in practice especially when you have just passed your test and are on your own in the car. Every new driver stalls!

New driver?

I mean I stalled on my first lesson a couple of times, but not after passing....
Reply 10
New driver?

I mean I stalled on my first lesson a couple of times, but not after passing....

I've passed my test quite a while now and still stall sometimes. Are you saying you never stall or are you still learning?
Original post by tobie123
I've passed my test quite a while now and still stall sometimes. Are you saying you never stall or are you still learning?

You still stall? Wow, I stalled a couple times on my first lesson, and that's it. I haven't passed I'm taking my test in a few months( huge waiting list )
Reply 12
You still stall? Wow, I stalled a couple times on my first lesson, and that's it. I haven't passed I'm taking my test in a few months( huge waiting list )

To be fair, i stalled once while I was learning. Stalled quite a few times in my new car. It's just the contrast of learning in one car, getting used to it, then changing to a different car, which is a lot easier to stall, and having to get used to it.
Diesels are more forgiving than petrols when it comes to the clutch and getting that biting point.

I see you've been given the advice which I agree with :smile:

I learnt in a petrol, and I drove a diesel after and found it to be a different experience :smile:
Reply 14
New driver?

Ok so you are contradicting yourself? You haven't passed, you don't know what it's like so don't judge other people.
Reply 15

The jump from diesel to petrol in terms of the clutch control required is significant. This is why I believe everyone should learn in petrols, but I expect some statistics suggest people pass their tests faster in diesels.

Unfortunately your experience of driving one probably fairly new and well powered car is not enough to make you an expert :wink:
Original post by AllanMcG
Ok so you are contradicting yourself? You haven't passed, you don't know what it's like so don't judge other people.

I meant to say "But after passing?" - As if to say fair enough stall on lessons, but after passing lmao?... get it.

Just letting you know I passed my mock driving test, and I still have only stalled twice on my first lesson, I do know what it's like, some people just don't know how to use the clutch properly...
Original post by FXX
The jump from diesel to petrol in terms of the clutch control required is significant. This is why I believe everyone should learn in petrols, but I expect some statistics suggest people pass their tests faster in diesels.

Unfortunately your experience of driving one probably fairly new and well powered car is not enough to make you an expert :wink:

I've drove both a 1.3 corsa CDTi and a 2.0 Ford sierra Ghia....

I don't know what you're talking about, with the petrol all you need is more gas that's ALL, nothing more JUST MORE GAS. Common sense tells me that I need more gas......

Where the hell are you guys learning and stuff?
Reply 18

I don't know what you're talking about, with the petrol all you need is more gas that's ALL, nothing more JUST MORE GAS. Common sense tells me that I need more gas......

More gas isn't the answer. As said above you need no more than 2k rpm to pull away on a hill. If you need any more than that you need to improve your clutch control - unless you enjoy a burnt clutch, because semi-engaged plates at 3k or more on an incline does it no good whatsoever.

Your instructor sounds pretty terrible if his recommendation is to floor it everytime you pull away on a gentle slope.
Reply 19

But with a diesel you don't even need to use the gas when moving off, so people who learn in a diesel aren't used to using the gas when moving off.. I learnt in both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending