A Publishing Career? Watch

Possession
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone have any advice/guidance as to how to kick start a publishing career?

I've been searching for work experience and internship schemes since last summer and after many rejections from nice and not-so-nice (downright rude ********) people, I'm back to square one.

I understand that it may have been because I had literally finished my A-Levels but now I've started uni I'm keen to get some experience under my belt this summer.

Anyone else in the same situation?

Any help is much appreciated!!
Possession
Rep:
?
.... Anybody?
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
Publishing what? How?

It depends a great deal on what you want to be writing/publishing for and what role you want.

IT with DTP proofing and construction?

Staff writer?

Editing?

Do you want to cover IT? Finance? Current Affairs? Fashion?

It's a huge world and I'm sure you'll find your place in time (it took my brother 5 years after graduating from LSE with Law to finally get what he wanted and he's very happy with it).

The big thing - networking... rightly or wrongly... go out, go drinking, meet people and stay in touch with the ones that can help you. It matters far too much - but it matters. They'll be the ones to get you experience and jobs...
zhivago
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Publishing looks interesting enough. I'm not sure how you might get started specifically but all I can say is that you have to keep trying, and penetrating into the business. Write to people asking for work experience, if they don't reply within a week, follow up with a phone call. Ask tutors at your uni if they know of anybody, search the internet for firms and email them, look out for competitions were you can win an internship. Just keep going really and don't be worn down and disheartened by rejections.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
What are you doing at uni?
Possession
Rep:
?
Ultimately, I would like to be a Commissioning Editor for academic books and magazines but I understand this will remain a dream if I don't get some work experience. I was Chief Editor of my school's magazine and yearbook but that only offered limited experience.

I've contacted Blackwell and Profile books publishers about internships in the summer but I am still looking for additional experience with newspapers and magazines.

I'm at Keele studying English and Media, Communication & Culture - I didn't want to restrict myself to doing just Publishing in uni. I'm planning to take up a mentoring scheme next semester where I can tutor children in English at local schools, so at least it's another route I can take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed