The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology PSYA4 21st June.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SophieeJane
im doing the same topics as you! so lucky its your last exam! i have law the next day :frown:
do you have any idea what will come up?

Well for phobias the only thing that hasn't ever come up is 'issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of phobic disorders' and also 'psychological explanations of phobic disorders' hasn't come up for a while so possibly that? I'm not too sure though :/ And I'm clueless when it comes to media psychology as we haven't been given the past questions for that :frown:

Research methods could be anything !! I'm absolutely dreading that section the most :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
Same here, I want an A as well :/ Thankfully I'm like 13 UMS over so I can afford to screw up a little bit but I'm definitely not going to revise any easier! Good luck for your exam anyway, contact me if you've got any questions and I'll try to help you :biggrin:

Thank you that's very kind :smile: good luck to you too!
Reply 22
Predictions for sz and media?
Reply 23
Original post by bashx

Original post by bashx
Im doing Addiction, Depressing and Research Methods
How LONG does addiction take?! there is SO much to learn!!!
dfkdjfdf

Hey im doing the same as you but havent actually started revising yet since i was focusing mostly on unit3 :frown: do u have ideas as what sort of topics the questions might be on???
Reply 24
Original post by bazma
Hey im doing the same as you but havent actually started revising yet since i was focusing mostly on unit3 :frown: do u have ideas as what sort of topics the questions might be on???

OMG same so unprepared only started addiction today!! But no I haven't made any predictions. just get the jan 2010-jan2011 questions and predict yourself. you cant be too sure because on the june 2010 paper they asked about public health inteventions and they asked it again on jan 11 paper! SO
COVER EVERYTHING!
Reply 25
Original post by Ultimate_Geek

Original post by Ultimate_Geek
Media, Schizophrenia and obviously Research methods.

Quite apprehensive. I'm sel-taught and have only just finished learning Research Methods never mind revising.

Media is so incredibly boring.

doing the same, ah i hate media -_-
Reply 26
doing OCD, anomalous and research methods

Please does anyone have any predictions....
Reply 27
omg ive only just started revising this.. doing OCD, addiction and research methods.
massive problems with AO2
ahhhhh
Reply 28
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are like for unit 4??
Reply 29
Original post by LRainbow~
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are like for unit 4??

Grade /Raw Mark /UMS
A 51 80
B 44 70
C 38 60
D 32 50
E 26 40

this is for JAN 11 paper
Reply 30
Grade Raw Mark UMS
A 50 80
B 44 70
C 38 60
D 32 50
E 26 40

this was for JUN 2010 paper

Grade Raw Mark UMS
A 53 80
B 47 70
C 41 60
D 35 50
E 30 40

this was for JAN 2010
Reply 31
I revised for two days before PSYA3 and think I got 100% again (I did in Jan PSYA4) due to the really low grade boundaries. If you're cramming, like I had too. Use the method of loci to learn names (memory palace technique), and then remember you pick up most of the marks from evaluation and application. If you can talk about a few theories, and most of them are transparent across the bored, for example, you can talk about social learning theory in most psychological approaches, then evaluate it like a crazy man for the most marks. In evaluation, include:

Experiment type, weaknesses and strengths, ie. Lab, field, observational
Is the research ethical?
Is it a questionaire, weaknesses?
Are the participants representative of the general population?
Is it an emic construct, hence used as an imposed etic?
Are they volunteers and so a personality trait which may affect validity?
Are they providing socially desirable answers?
Are there any order effects?
Are there any demand characteristics?
Did they give informed consent?
Is it an interview, and so may not tell the truth (same with questionaire)?
Is it reliable, ie, sample size?
Is it reductionist?
Is it deterministic?
Is it ethnocentric
Is it geynocentric?
Is it androcentric?
Is it correlational, and so cannot dirently infer cause and effect?
Is it based on empirical evidence?
Is it falsisiable, and so a valid theory (Karl Popper)?

Hopefully this helps, just remember; cram the theories, rape the evaluation!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
does anyone know what the question for depression was on past papers??
it may just be me, but i feel completely fine about this exam? depression, media and research methods, bearing in mind i only need a D to get a B overall.
for those doing depression- it will be a split question as the essay came up in january, and it was on psychological therapies so its likely to be classification/biological explanation/biological therapy
for media the most likely is influences on decision making (i.e. cognitive dissonance or self perception) or intense fandom (stalking or celebrity worship)
need a quick re read of research methods but other than that it should be okay!
p.s. for those who resat PSYA3- it sounded like a nice paper! hope you guys found it went okay:smile:
Reply 34
I'm doing schizophrenia, media and RM,
had anyone got a clue what is likely to come up:smile: x
we already have a thread for this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32273444

Original post by dannni93
x

there are loads of predictions in there

Original post by x10

Original post by NaomiGib
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by sophie.mohamed
it may just be me, but i feel completely fine about this exam? depression, media and research methods, bearing in mind i only need a D to get a B overall.
for those doing depression- it will be a split question as the essay came up in january, and it was on psychological therapies so its likely to be classification/biological explanation/biological therapy
for media the most likely is influences on decision making (i.e. cognitive dissonance or self perception) or intense fandom (stalking or celebrity worship)
need a quick re read of research methods but other than that it should be okay!
p.s. for those who resat PSYA3- it sounded like a nice paper! hope you guys found it went okay:smile:

i pray depression is a split question on biology/ classification that would be so good! psychological explanations and therapys confuse me!!!
Anyone else completely given up on revising psychology? Biology and Computing were fine for the last 2 weeks then this week of psychology revision has gotten me to the point where I'll read a line and get distracted...
Reply 38
Anyone know how to revise for research methods? I was revising from the book but then I saw there was commentary... seriously?? do we need to know commentary for research methods as well or is the book giving way too extra info?
Reply 39
Original post by x10
Anyone know how to revise for research methods? I was revising from the book but then I saw there was commentary... seriously?? do we need to know commentary for research methods as well or is the book giving way too extra info?

I can share with you my research methods booklet, which has everything you need to know (apart from Statistics), but you only really need to learn a table for how to do statistics. Let me know and I'll post it up, if you want the statistics tale I'll write it up and add it on

Quick Reply

Latest