The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dr. Blazed
Agreed.

Learn the language you're interested in; there's no point battling away for several years trying to progress with something you just don't care about.

I agree. The average person will have absolutely no use for Mandarin whatsoever. However powerful China becomes 99.99% of people will not be spending their careers flying between London and Bejing to conduct complex business transactions requiring fluency in Chinese.

Far better to learn something like Spanish which is pretty easy and fun to use on holiday.
Reply 21
in the 1980s you couldnt move for management consultants telling you that "if you don't speak japanese you're going nowhere - dont count your chickens children...
Reply 22
TKR
in the 1980s you couldnt move for management consultants telling you that "if you don't speak japanese you're going nowhere - dont count your chickens children...
So how many management consultants did you meet when you were 2, eh? :wink:
Reply 23
JonD
So how many management consultants did you meet when you were 2, eh? :wink:

He speaketh the truth.
The Ace is Back
Hmm I didn't think Russian either but it seems to me that all the smart people are learning Russian.. I mean all the really really smart people who are doing like 5 A2s.. so I reckon they've got something sussed that I don't know about. Also apparently it's a good business language - while business in China is a bit of a dodgy affair (probably is in Russia too come to think about it..)

They probably just want to read some depressing literature in its original language.
Dr. Blazed
Agreed.

Learn the language you're interested in; there's no point battling away for several years trying to progress with something you just don't care about.

I'm interested in Japanese, Chinese and Russian, so no problems there :wink: (but there's no way in hell I'm learning all three so)

--------------

Howard
I agree. The average person will have absolutely no use for Mandarin whatsoever. However powerful China becomes 99.99% of people will not be spending their careers flying between London and Bejing to conduct complex business transactions requiring fluency in Chinese.

Far better to learn something like Spanish which is pretty easy and fun to use on holiday.

I already do French and Spanish doesn't really appeal to me - as for working in/going to China, I reckon that could be quite a likely possibility when I'm older

--------------

TKR

Good point
Reply 26
The Ace is Back

Edit - I guess my question is really - is Russia doing well and will it do well, or not? And will Chinese continue to do well or fail?

Yeah, Russia is doing well, if doing well is producing 5 tables a year for real GDP.
psychic_satori
They probably just want to read some depressing literature in its original language.

Probably.. might also have something to do with the fact that it's the only language taught at my school which organises socials and vodka-drinking sessions for its members... Definitely doesn't sound very promising as a 'language of the future' from what I've heard here so that would probably be it.
Reply 28
Russian (even though I've forgotten most of it)
SlyPie
Yeah, Russia is doing well, if doing well is producing 5 tables a year for real GDP.

Hey biatch, how's all? That sounds a lot like something China would do :wink:
Reply 30
The Ace is Back
Hey biatch, how's all? That sounds a lot like something China would do :wink:

Now, now, what did your mommy say about calling yourself a biatch?

I just finished finals 2 days ago, and I'm flying tomorrow to England to vacation for a month. :biggrin: I'd say I'm doing swell, but I think the Economics final was Sh*t hard, and I want to die.

How are you doing eh? Still rousing up trouble I see from your warning points.

Edit: China produces 6 tables damn it, 6.

--------------

Oh I forgot to add: I've realized how much *****ing work I can get done without TSR since I requested a temporary ban. A Sh*tload. That's the answer.

What a "bloody" waste of time this is.
SlyPie

I just finished finals 2 days ago, and I'm flying tomorrow to England to vacation for a month. :biggrin: I'd say I'm doing swell, but I think the Economics final was Sh*t hard, and I want to die.

How are you doing eh? Still rousing up trouble I see from your warning points.

Edit: China produces 6 tables damn it, 6.

--------------

Oh I forgot to add: I've realized how much *****ing I can get done without TSR since I requested a temporary ban. A Sh*tload. That's the answer.

What a "bloody" waste of time this is.

Yeah I'm pretty good - just finished my exams as well. Awww poor SlyPie, well... they do say women are not really cut out for academic hardships, but it's good that you try at least, that's the important thing. If it makes you feel any better I just had my Eco exam and it went amazing, easiest thing in the world (although to be fair someone had showed me the paper the day before, so there you go)

Goodness gracious, why on earth are you going to England? I suppose Christmas is nicer in the cold and sometimes there's snow.. but otherwise, you must be mad.
Reply 32
The Ace is Back
Yeah I'm pretty good - just finished my exams as well. Awww poor SlyPie, well... they do say women are not really cut out for academic hardships, but it's good that you try at least, that's the important thing. If it makes you feel any better I just had my Eco exam and it went amazing, easiest thing in the world (although to be fair someone had showed me the paper the day before, so there you go)

Goodness gracious, why on earth are you going to England? I suppose Christmas is nicer in the cold and sometimes there's snow.. but otherwise, you must be mad.

Showed you the paper the day before eh? Ain't you a hard-working little bastard...

See now Acey, the difference between my Econ exam and yours is that mine required knowledge and understanding.

If women aren't cut out for it, why the hell are you doing "academics"? Oh wait, my bad, you aren't.

haha, Well I am going to be with my boyfriend for a month in England. (God help me...I can't stand being with the same person for more than a day...)
I also like to do charity cough in my free time because I'm a nice person like that. And there's plenty of broke bastards in England who need charity.
SlyPie
Showed you the paper the day before eh? Ain't you a hard-working little bastard...

If women aren't cut out for it, why the hell are you doing "academics"? Oh wait, my bad, you aren't.

haha, Well I am going to be with my boyfriend for a month in England. (God help me...I can't stand being with the same person for more than a day...)
I also like to do charity cough in my free time because I'm a nice person like that. And there's plenty of broke bastards in England who need charity.

I couldn't help it.. the guy smuggled it out and just showed it to me. Just because I then took the paper off him and proceeded to 'revise' the paper the night before is irrelevant..

Haha, that was rather witty.. ohh.. I can't think of anything to say to that..

Charity?!?! You?! Yes well I'm a very charitable person as well, I just adore charity. I work in a charity shop every week (my school forcing me to go has absolutely nothing to do with it) - I just love the cramped conditions where you have to work (for nothing), the old, dying women who start screaming at you if you put labels on the wrong clothes, the 'needle guns' which you stab yourself with, accidentally contracting HIV in the process, the homeless drug addicts who come along and start trying to steal things and beat you up. Ahhh what a wonderful cause (what a wonderful country) - have fun! :wink:
Reply 34
I would say Russian since quite a few eastern countries use Russian for international communication eg Kasaghstan [spelling] plus aren't Chinese taught English from a young age? Would it be of much use?
Reply 35
chinese
Reply 36
The Ace is Back
I couldn't help it.. the guy smuggled it out and just showed it to me. Just because I then took the paper off him and proceeded to 'revise' the paper the night before is irrelevant..

Haha, that was rather witty.. ohh.. I can't think of anything to say to that..

Charity?!?! You?! Yes well I'm a very charitable person as well, I just adore charity. I work in a charity shop every week (my school forcing me to go has absolutely nothing to do with it) - I just love the cramped conditions where you have to work (for nothing), the old, dying women who start screaming at you if you put labels on the wrong clothes, the 'needle guns' which you stab yourself with, accidentally contracting HIV in the process, the homeless drug addicts who come along and start trying to steal things and beat you up. Ahhh what a wonderful cause (what a wonderful country) - have fun! :wink:

hahah You're seriously too cute. I bet it took a long time to "study" eh..hence memorizing the m/c answers hehehe.

Well you know this may surprise you--so beware, but I actually was the vice president for our community service club in high school and I've done a bit of charity in my free time...and I've also donated 2 dollars to charities. WOO go me.

But yeah, now the only charity I do is not driving a car--not just because my parents took my car away--so i don't contribute to pollution.

Hopefully I will have a "fun" time eh..my boyfriend's family is quite hilarious, as in they get absolutely wasted at Xmas, which is the complete opposite to my family who gather around the table praying and sacrificing virgins to God.
It's not really worth it choosing one based on hypothetical "usefulness". Because you'd never really "need" either of them desperately.

Funnily enough they are the two languages besides English that I am interested in also. I am fluent in Russian and it's my favourite language. I can speak a bit of Cantonese because my girlfriend speaks it and so do her family. If I could speak it better I'm sure I would have had an even better time when I was in Hong Kong as I'd be able to speak to her family members directly.

Both are hard for an English speaker I'd say. Russian because of the grammatical complexity and different alphabet, and Chinese because of the massively difficult areas of reading, writing and pronunciation.

I can't really decide for you.. It just depends which one you'd enjoy being able to speak more. I chose both.

Hope that helps.
Reply 38
Russian?! I don't think so.

Cantonese and Mandarin, very much so.
Reply 39
SlyPie

Nothing, compared to the ruckus she made after calling myself a 'son of a bitch', I can tell you.

Latest

Trending

Trending