Turn on thread page Beta

The language of the future - Russian or Chinese? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Probably.. might also have something to do with the fact that it's the only language taught at my school which organises socials and vodka-drinking sessions for its members... Definitely doesn't sound very promising as a 'language of the future' from what I've heard here so that would probably be it.
    Oh, alcohol would definitely be a key reason there. Heck, I would have taken up Russian if they had taught it at my school. Vodka drinking sessions beat the hell out of the Mexican food and mandatory viewings of the Jennifer Lopez vehicle Selena that constituted Spanish class.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno really. but i would vote for chinese, since 1/5 of the world population speaks chinese. So if you know English and Chinese pretty well, you'll probably be able to communicate with most of the population.

However, if you are interested in doing business and stuff around UK or the States, i wud think that English would be fine. as other posters said, most chinese businessmen know english pretty well

ReputationRep:
    I just like the sound of the Russian language. Wait...damn it, the rodina is no longer the workers paradise! Nichevo!

ReputationRep:
    idk... i think that the "trifecta" of languages to know are English for Western Europe and a lot of high places in the rest of the world, Russian for eastern europe, and Mandarin should get you by in most asian places. Next langauge to learn would probably be French for even better communication in western europe and africa, and then probably arabic or japanese.

ReputationRep:
    In our lifetimes, which will be more useful - Russian or Chinese? I've heard far more in favour of Chinese being the 'language of the future', but it seems to me that Russian might also be a bit of a 'dark horse' contestant for the title. Which do you think it will be, and why?
    Chinese would be far more useful as over a fifth of the world population already speak it, which is a much higher proportion than those who speak Russian.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I didn't think Russian either but it seems to me that all the smart people are learning Russian.. I mean all the really really smart people who are doing like 5 A2s..
    I trust then that none of those is in Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuna USA)
    idk... i think that the "trifecta" of languages to know are English for Western Europe and a lot of high places in the rest of the world, Russian for eastern europe, and Mandarin should get you by in most asian places. Next langauge to learn would probably be French for even better communication in western europe and africa, and then probably arabic or japanese.
    Well, Russian is being phased out more and more in eastern europe as countries are putting a greater emphasis on bringing back their own local languages. As an example, a couple of years ago on Latvians altering their education system to switch from being exclusive in using Russian for academia. Granted a lot of people will still know Russian for sometime throughout eastern europe, but it won't be much more beneficial than English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pratikv)
    Chinese would be far more useful as over a fifth of the world population already speak it, which is a much higher proportion than those who speak Russian.
    Well, in reality, it's rather unlikely that one is going to encounter many of the Chinese speakers, as a high percentage of Chinese speakers aren't doing international business. Such a decision shouldn't really be based on such a broad statistic. Now, if one knew the percentage of Chinese speakers in a specific field that one intended to enter into (and Russian speakers, as well) then it would be more useful. Afterall, what good is speaking Chinese if most of the billion speakers of it are poor farmers, and you're in the service sector.

ReputationRep:
    More people speak Chinese language (mandarin) in the world coz China have a very large population, as we all know. If I were to choose a suitable language that can be learnt easily & understood, then English would be 'the language of the future'.
    Who knows, due to technological advancements, computer scripts e.g. java, and all codes, etc could be a potential medium of instruction in the world since we rely mostly on these technologies.
    Will somone invent a time machine ?

ReputationRep:
    the language of the future is english.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    chinese

ReputationRep:
    English...

ReputationRep:
    chinese....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    the language of the future is english.
    Of course that's obvious, English has been the dominant language for a while now, but I'm talking about Russian or Chinese - which will be more useful.

--------------

(Original post by Profesh)
    I trust then that none of those is in Economics?
    Not that I know of. Economics is a complete joke.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience the demand for learning russian is definatly increasing. My sister is a private russian tutor, andher demand is through the roof. Loads of banks, law firms, NGO's, and other such org's are all learning russian. In my opinion russian is easier to grasp, therefore has more use in business etc.

Chinese on the other hand, is harder to get to a high level at it, and learning how to say hello etc is polite but wont get you very far on negotiating boards etc.

ReputationRep:
    No one seems to have mentioned Spanish, which with the possible economic growth of Latin America, and its increased importance in the US will become a more dominant language in years to come. There is also of course India... though that is lingusitically fragmented.

But I'd disagree with Bismarck. Militarily and politically Russia may be in an enervated state but economically it has huge potential. Given it is rich in natural resources, with a large labour force and growing political stability, Russia could become an economic powerhouse in the next 50 years. And frankly in the modern world it is economic power which is real global power, military power merely gives you the ability to intervere in the going ons of half bit failed states. In terms of investment, the "big four" of the future as defined by Goldman Sachs are Brazil, Russia, India and China (the BRICs). Although smaller countries in East Europe, South and Central America South Africa and the Indo-Chinese countries all have good potential too, dependant on how they can sort themselves out.

Overall the future is rosy for most of the world, Europe will hardly backslide economically even if it loses its relative power (which is unimportant anyway). The only continent that seems unable to escape a viscious cycle is Africa. Yet one shouldn't be too despairing, South East Asia was once thought of as unable to escape poverty in the 50's, and now look where it is!

ReputationRep:
    In our lifetimes, which will be more useful - Russian or Chinese? I've heard far more in favour of Chinese being the 'language of the future', but it seems to me that Russian might also be a bit of a 'dark horse' contestant for the title. Which do you think it will be, and why?
    Easily Mandarin ( Chinese doesnt exist any more than does 'European') but neither will ever conceivably displace English as the language of world and indeed the first language of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Easily Mandarin ( Chinese doesnt exist any more than does 'European') but neither will ever conceivably displace English as the language of world and indeed the first language of humanity.
    The chinese languages are more closely linked than a "European" language... probably better to see the dialects in the way the Romance languages differ from each other as opposed to the Europe wide deviation in languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    But I'd disagree with Bismarck. Militarily and politically Russia may be in an enervated state but economically it has huge potential. Given it is rich in natural resources, with a large labour force and growing political stability, Russia could become an economic powerhouse in the next 50 years. And frankly in the modern world it is economic power which is real global power, military power merely gives you the ability to intervere in the going ons of half bit failed states. In terms of investment, the "big four" of the future as defined by Goldman Sachs are Brazil, Russia, India and China (the BRICs). Although smaller countries in East Europe, South and Central America South Africa and the Indo-Chinese countries all have good potential too, dependant on how they can sort themselves out.
    Most of Africa is rich in natural resources, as is Saudi Arabia. None of them have anything approaching a decent economy. In an age dominated by information technology and services, having a lot of natural resources will not help economic growth. In fact, countries with a lot of natural resources tend to ignore their human resources (since most of the budget comes from those resources and not taxes on labor), which means they only develop industries that are needed to extract resources. This is certainly the case in Russia, where a good 30% of the economy is based on oil and gas. There is little economic growth outside of those sectors, and due to the high price of those resources, the government has no intention of carrying out economic reforms.

Regarding a large labor force, you're ignoring the fact that the size of the Russian population is actually decreasing and the size of the labor force is decreasing even faster due to an ageing population. It would take an absolute miracle for the Russian economy to become anything resembling a modern economy for the foreseeable future. To put Russia in the same category as China, India, and Brazil is ridiculous. The latter three are enacting key economic reforms, have a higher and actually growing population, and have a relatively diverse economy. I'd bet willing to bet that Poland and Ukraine will become prosperous long before Russia.

Overall the future is rosy for most of the world, Europe will hardly backslide economically even if it loses its relative power (which is unimportant anyway).
    Relative power unimportant? :rolleyes: People aren't stupid. They compare themselves to other people. If other countries drastically surpass Europe's standard of living, there will be severe consequences, even if the absolute income remains the same.

--------------

(Original post by an Siarach)
    Cultural influence follows national power. People didn't start speaking French and then English just because they liked those languages. They spoke those languages because they were spoken by the dominant powers of the day. It might take a few decades after America is displaced by another country as the most powerful in the world, but English will not remain the dominant language without America being the most powerful country.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.