The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Did W1D2 yesterday :biggrin: the first time was easiest, but I pushed myself a little harder yesterday and it felt good ^^

W1D3 on Friday :smile:
Done W7D2, ran for an extra minute at the beginning as there was another run catching me up so thought I should run to look better!! Then at the end when she said run faster, I did, so I was pretty pleased! W7D3 tomorrow then on to week 8!
okay the snow has finally melted from the parks so I'm heading back out on Friday!

(Have 9-7 tomorrow, I refuse to do anything that isn't eating and sleeping after those horrible hours haha)
Definitely need to get back out and get some exercise, feel like a lazy fatty since starting uni.
Reply 823
W2D1 tomorrow, kinda excited :biggrin: I enjoy running and this week I`m going to try and incorporate other exercise around C25K (I bought a skipping rope ^^)
I found a website which does a similar programme but with basic exercises, e.g. 6 weeks to 200 sit ups, so hopefully will start at least one of these as well
Has anyone tried skipping a week? I technically should be starting week 2...but I'm pretty sure I could do week 3. I go to the gym already and went for a run yesterday without listening to a podcast and managed 10 minutes without a break. Should be fine to go into week 3 right?
Reply 825
Finish W2D2 about half an hour ago ^^ got a slight stitch but that was my own fault (ate something 15 mins before starting) Got to wait until Friday now to finish week 2 :smile:
Original post by mespannerhanz
This thread seems to be struggling recently!! Is it the cold weather that's putting everyone off?
I went out this morning for W6D2, it was a struggle to get going, but I completed it without too much difficulty! My friends think I'm mad for running in the cold, but it's good for you! Have the slightly crazy idea of training for a half marathon. It's a long term plan, no definite aim or anything, but going to complete this, then try to move up to 10k, and then up to 13 miles. Does this sound reasonable? I'm not in any particular hurry, maybe 12-18 months?

I've been thinking of the same! Except my friend seems to think we can do one in June...:s-smilie:

I think it's a little ambitious personally, but, I've agreed for some reason. And I'm only on week 3! :eek:

On the plus side, I've been finding it fairly easy going, I think I'm going to attempt run 2 of week 3 tomorrow and then try go to week 4. I seem to be able to run for longer than the weeks i'm on, but worried if I skip ahead it will all go wrong :colondollar:
Reply 827
Been getting back to it after a big long break.:pinch: Started at week 7 and found the first one hard. The second one was better but this guy stopped me near the end to help him start his car and I stopped for about a minute for that.:erm:
I'll be starting for Monday hopefully, I live in innercity B'ham so I'll probably just go out early mornings because evenings aren't the greatest around here, just wondering, how much time should I allow myself for W1D1? Also what do you guys wear when out running, will tracksuit bottoms and base t-shirt and then a football shirt on top be ok for running? Thanks!
Original post by longman240
I'll be starting for Monday hopefully, I live in innercity B'ham so I'll probably just go out early mornings because evenings aren't the greatest around here, just wondering, how much time should I allow myself for W1D1? Also what do you guys wear when out running, will tracksuit bottoms and base t-shirt and then a football shirt on top be ok for running? Thanks!

Leave approx 1/2 hr (you can check the podcast for more accurate timing). Personally I don't like getting cold skin so I wear tracksuit bottoms, long sleeved top and gloves in the winter and then in the summer shorts and tshirt. What you suggest will be fine. :smile: Good luck!
Original post by hothedgehog
Leave approx 1/2 hr (you can check the podcast for more accurate timing). Personally I don't like getting cold skin so I wear tracksuit bottoms, long sleeved top and gloves in the winter and then in the summer shorts and tshirt. What you suggest will be fine. :smile: Good luck!

Thanks very much, I'll let you know how I get on! :biggrin:
Thought this might be the place to ask.
Currently my run is at 2miles, and takes me 17-18 minutes usually, including a hill (I know I ought to do it on the flat, but its hard to plan a route which doesn't include the hill). I do it a couple of times a week, and have been doing it for quite a while - I started it back in May, but took a break from it September - December, in this period I didn't stop exercising, I did weights but kept the cardio to a minimum.
Would this program work for me, to extend my run to 5k or more? or does it only work for beginners?
Original post by longman240

I wear shorts and a tee, with a hoodie if its snowing /raining.
Really pushed myself to do a 5k, I'm absolutely shattered. Managed 23:30 which I was really surprised about - clearly I just wasn't pushing myself hard enough on my 2 mile runs. Will have to skip my next run I think, my legs feel like they're gonna drop off, and my feet started to cramp up towards the end! Now I know I can do it, I'll practice more on a smaller distance, (maybe 4k?) before I start doing 5k as my normal run.
Thanks for the help guys, really nervous but I'll definitely be out tomorrow morning, I always throw up when I do exercise so if I can't do it the normal way then I'll sick up all the calories!
Just did W4D2...it's fine. But the prospect of week 5 is still scaring me :afraid:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Just did W4D2...it's fine. But the prospect of week 5 is still scaring me :afraid:

Don't fret about it. I thought the jump up from week 4 to 5 is a big one, especially day 3. But when it comes to it, take it easy, pace yourself, and I think you will surprise yourself. Honestly, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be!!
Starting the programme today. Let my fitness plummet recently, focused on weights. Let's rock and roll.

Edit: Job done, more difficult than I thought tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Did W1D1 on Monday, I'm so unfit! Did 6, threw up, did 7, dry retched, did 8, dry retched some more, regardless, I'll be back out there tomorrow!
Looks good, might start this. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest