The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

It's weird but I find running on treadmill more difficult. I think it's more taxing on legs, and the heat can be unbearable. Also, I find running straight quite hard work, so on the pavement if I waver a bit it doesn't matter, but on treadmill obviously I have to run straight and its harder for me!
Original post by Idle
Anyone else get bad lower leg pain when they started?

Yup! Was pretty bad and once I stopped like 2 reps too short on week 1. Didn't take long to recover and the next run was quite a bit better and now I don't get any at all.

Original post by mespannerhanz
It's weird but I find running on treadmill more difficult. I think it's more taxing on legs, and the heat can be unbearable. Also, I find running straight quite hard work, so on the pavement if I waver a bit it doesn't matter, but on treadmill obviously I have to run straight and its harder for me!

I was literally just thinking about treadmills in the gym and just thought I wouldn't like it! Seems too constricting with width, like you said, and it's like you have to go a certain speed. Going out running seems nicer than a gym and also means you can go see places which is nice (if there's a park/something green near where you live!).
---
Been doing this for a few weeks now, thought I'd start with week 3, immediately decided week 1 was better :biggrin:. I pretty much skipped week 2 and am now doing week 3, but am making the last 3 minute stint longer (generally 4 and a half mins).

Anyone else doing it without the podcasts? I don't really have anything to listen to music with and it's strangely satisfying to be able to keep nothing in your head other than to keep on running.

I never, ever thought I'd post in this forum! :biggrin:
I started this last week and I am currently going into Week 2! I love the programme, though I am slightly worried about it getting too hard :/ Have many people lost weight on this programme? I want to get fitter so I can run races with my sister, who is awesome at running, but since starting university I've put on 2 stone and I don't want it to get any worse! I went to Ghana for a month recently, and put on 5 pounds because of all the rice and pasta we ate, so I've started a diet in which I don't have as many carbs as I usually would, and eat a lot of vegetables etc. Praying that with this and the programme I should lose some weight and get more toned..

x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
I started this last week and I am currently going into Week 2! I love the programme, though I am slightly worried about it getting too hard :/ Have many people lost weight on this programme? I want to get fitter so I can run races with my sister, who is awesome at running, but since starting university I've put on 2 stone and I don't want it to get any worse! I went to Ghana for a month recently, and put on 5 pounds because of all the rice and pasta we ate, so I've started a diet in which I don't have as many carbs as I usually would, and eat a lot of vegetables etc. Praying that with this and the programme I should lose some weight and get more toned..

x

Welcome to the thread! I found that most people start losing weight when it gets to week 4/5 as that's when you really start burning the calories during the first few weeks you're only burning about 100/150 calories I totally reccommend getting on myfitnesspal to keep track of your calories as that will definitely help you lose weight. Don't worry about it getting hard it actually works! I could barely run for a minute straight and now I'm on week 4 doing 5 minute jogs 16 mins in total! The plan sets you up so you're physically able to do the next week so most of the time it's just convincing yourself to keep going :smile:
Original post by nooneyouknow
Welcome to the thread! I found that most people start losing weight when it gets to week 4/5 as that's when you really start burning the calories during the first few weeks you're only burning about 100/150 calories I totally reccommend getting on myfitnesspal to keep track of your calories as that will definitely help you lose weight. Don't worry about it getting hard it actually works! I could barely run for a minute straight and now I'm on week 4 doing 5 minute jogs 16 mins in total! The plan sets you up so you're physically able to do the next week so most of the time it's just convincing yourself to keep going :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yeah, I just need to make sure I keep motivated I think! So difficult to restrain from alcohol consumption at uni where pretty much everyone goes out at least twice a week, but I know it will be worth it x
Thanks :smile: Yeah, I just need to make sure I keep motivated I think! So difficult to restrain from alcohol consumption at uni where pretty much everyone goes out at least twice a week, but I know it will be worth it x

Motivation is horrible! I've got a nice box of doughnuts downstairs that are calling my name haha :smile: I just look at people's success stories and pictures on that website and boom craving's gone! x
Finished W1 now, and found myself tired at the end, but it wasn't impossible to do. Hopefully I can start W2 on Sunday or maybe tomorrow.
Reply 987
I've finished week 4 now...well I had to walk for one minute of the last 5 minute run, but I think i'm going to go straight into week 5 and see how it goes. I'm going for a spa day with my Mum on sunday so i'm going to use the gym and do W5D1 on the treadmill because I find the treadmill easier and I need a bit of a confidence boost after my one minute of walking yesterday :P
Motivation is horrible! I've got a nice box of doughnuts downstairs that are calling my name haha :smile: I just look at people's success stories and pictures on that website and boom craving's gone! x

Haha I know. I suddenly realised half of my shorts/skirts do not fit round my thighs/arse so I was like there is NO way I want to go out and buy a new wardrobe because of my horrendous habits! I have been doing well, until I went to Toby Carvery today. Oops :/ Cue a weekend of horrendous exercise!
Haha I know. I suddenly realised half of my shorts/skirts do not fit round my thighs/arse so I was like there is NO way I want to go out and buy a new wardrobe because of my horrendous habits! I have been doing well, until I went to Toby Carvery today. Oops :/ Cue a weekend of horrendous exercise!

Same! I refuse to buy clothes now until I've lost my goal amount of weight :biggrin: Oh dear it's the harester that gets me! I always go for their burger and it's nearly 1000 cals :O Couldn't believe it when I saw it I'd easily eat my daily allowence in one meal at that place!
Is it possible to hit a plateau with c25k??

I do the workout everyday (if possible) or every other day. I'll be starting week 2 next week.
Going to do my first W2 workout in a few mins. I will post again when I'm done!

EDIT: Legs kill, but W2D1 completed. I can't believe that I could only run for 30 seconds without being seriously out of breath this time a few weeks ago. Now I can do more than that, over and over again!
(edited 12 years ago)
Week 3 run 3 tomorrow, its so good :smile:
About to attempt W5D1 on solid ground...not convinced I'll manage but it's worth a go. What with illness and ridonkulous shifts at work I've hardly been able to go this week which is annoying :frown:
W4D2 completed! Thought I was going to die during the last 5 minute run! My shins are hurting a bit so I'm going to have a two day break instead of one just to let them heal a bit might not be a good idea to go jogging the day after a 6 hour shift at work.
Reply 995
bloody weather :huff:

it was nice this morning so I went out for wk7d2, few mins in and it starts pissing it down:hmpf: then when im nearly done it becomes really sunny.:unimpressed:
I think I will start this soon :smile:
Just done my first one! So proud of myself. I found it quite hard but I'm hoping that I can keep it up.

The one thing I have realised is that my trainers suck. They have no support, aren't good for running in and I now have three nice, big blisters on my feet where they rubbed the skin. I guess I never really realised how crap they were - probably because I never exercise. So, I'm going to get proper trainers tomorrow.
Original post by inadilemma
Just done my first one! So proud of myself. I found it quite hard but I'm hoping that I can keep it up.

The one thing I have realised is that my trainers suck. They have no support, aren't good for running in and I now have three nice, big blisters on my feet where they rubbed the skin. I guess I never really realised how crap they were - probably because I never exercise. So, I'm going to get proper trainers tomorrow.

Well done on the first one! It gets harder but you can do it :smile: it's just mind over matter and a good playlist works wonders!
Well done on the first one! It gets harder but you can do it :smile: it's just mind over matter and a good playlist works wonders!

Thanks! Hey, how do I get one of those weight loss ticker things like you have in your sig?

Quick Reply

Latest