Watch
This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
If she has lived in a foreign country for a while it would explain things dont you think? Its not as though its a big deal anyway.
hehe, it has rather deviated...
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
hehe, it has rather deviated...
Indeed. Even if you were foreign it wouldnt make your points any less valid...unless you happened to be from Malaysis/Singapore area and obsessed with the 'Eton dream' and 'English gentlemen'. Those people I dont have time for.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
ive never evaded the question. where have u asked it before? im British and have never inferred otherwise.
location paris/antwerp. Sounds like you've been indoctrinated by dirty foreigners
J
Emma18
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
im doing this topic for my french Alevel oral exam!!! its really good to find out other peroples arguements for and against, does anyone think it would work in England? (in non religious schools) despite the fact that we've never really tried to spearate religion and education from each other?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Emma18)
im doing this topic for my french Alevel oral exam!!! its really good to find out other peroples arguements for and against, does anyone think it would work in England? (in non religious schools) despite the fact that we've never really tried to spearate religion and education from each other?
No - our nation is renowned for its tolerance to all peoples :cool:
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
True. But many members of the Muslim Council are as French as Chirac himself.
Do you think many members of the Muslim Council can trace back their roots in France over, what a 1000 years?......like Chirac probably can.

There are different degrees of "Frenchness" you know. A 1st generation Algerian is NOT as French as someone who can trace his ansestry back to the Norman invasion.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Do you think many members of the Muslim Council can trace back their roots in France over, what a 1000 years?......like Chirac probably can.

There are different degrees of "Frenchness" you know. A 1st generation Algerian is NOT as French as someone who can trace his ansestry back to the Norman invasion.
Perhaps because there are different degrees of 'Frenchness' is why they have the problems with this legislation in the first place.

What a difference in attitude to say, Australia, where newly arrived immigrants are not seen as Italian, Turkish, Thai etc. but rather as 'new Australians' - and then not for long.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I actually agree with you that what I think (yes, I am British although I'm still not sure that you are) is irrelevant to the predicament that France finds itself in over this issure - although of course, I and my fellow countrymen plus many other nations in the world are appalled by the proposals.

I would suggest that as it has nothing to do with this country that we don't waste any more time in discussing the matter.
"Appalled"? Bit of an overreaction isn't it?

Apart from some of the contributors to this forum and the Islington dinner party set I think you'll find the remainder of your fellow countrymen are not appalled at all.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Perhaps because there are different degrees of 'Frenchness' is why they have the problems with this legislation in the first place.

What a difference in attitude to say, Australia, where newly arrived immigrants are not seen as Italian, Turkish, Thai etc. but rather as 'new Australians' - and then not for long.
Hmmm....is that a fact?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
"Appalled"? Bit of an overreaction isn't it?

Apart from some of the contributors to this forum and the Islington dinner party set I think you'll find the remainder of your fellow countrymen are not appalled at all.
my sentiments exactly. although, my questions on the matter were deemed as attempts to 'ensnare forum members'...
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
No - our nation is renowned for its tolerance to all peoples :cool:
or its inability to execute a fair, robust and efficient immigrant policy, among other things? i fail to see how Britain is vastly more liberal than the Netherlands or France or Belgium? the people certainly arent.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (211)
42.89%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.24%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (198)
40.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.63%

Watched Threads