The Student Room Group

OCR Salters B F334 Chemistry of Materials (24/06/2011)

I have no idea if this has been made yet...

So about a week to go. I'm so nervous, I didn't do it in jan :afraid:

Post papers, tips, answers etc
(and of course after exam discussion which I dread but need to satisfy my fears)

Scroll to see replies

did u do the F335?
Reply 2
Reply 3
Can someone PLEASE explain electrode potentials to me...or know a website I could go to at least thanks
Reply 4
Original post by tkoki1993
Can someone PLEASE explain electrode potentials to me...or know a website I could go to at least thanks

This may help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by feelbetter
This may help :smile:

thanks... I just did like 8 Standard electrode potential questions... did not go well... I got every question wrong... lol
Reply 6
Original post by Intellectual Smart G
did u do the F335?

yes i did. and i ****ed it. spectacularly

you??
Reply 7
thanks... I just did like 8 Standard electrode potential questions... did not go well... I got every question wrong... lol

Lol you'll get the hang of it. It took me a while to get a hang of it the first time round.
Reply 8

What do you wanna know? Basically if your given two half cell values and the most negative is A and most positive is B then:

-(A)+B= value.
Reply 9

In short:

--> Ecell = E(more positive potential) - E(more negative potential)
--> Ecell is ALWAYS positive.
-->The equation with the more negative potential becomes the negative electrode (cathode). The less negative becomes the positive electrode (anode).

-->To combine the half equations:

1. flip the more negative (so the electrons are on the right
eg. Cu --> Cu2+ + 2e-

2. Balance the number of electrons:

eg Fe3+ + e- --> Fe2+ would become
2Fe3+ + 2e- --> 2Fe2+

3. Add the equations, removing the electrons:

2Fe3+ + Cu --> 2Fe2+ + Cu2+

--> If one thing is a stronger reducing agent (the more negative one, the one which loses electrons and is oxidised) than another, then one will supply electrons to the other in a half cell, like the example above. This means that it is likely that these would react. Remember though that they may not react as the activation enthalpy of the reaction may be too high (this could easily be one of those sneaky one mark questions).

This is pretty much all you need to know I think. Sorry this is so brief, but I hope it helps a little. If you have not done so, try the January 2008 CofM paper, as it has a nice electrode question, and the example I gave above is from that question :smile:

Edit: there is also a slightly long winded, but quite nice explanation on here: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/redoxeqia/introduction.html :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I think this list covers most of the topics likely to be in F334.

Electrode potentials.
Kinetics (order of reactants).
Transition metals (their colour and ligands).
Polymers (bonding and property change with temp).
Optical isomerism (amino acids).
FeCl3 as phenol test.
Synoptic topics (esp. mass spec; IR; chromatography)

Can anyone add anything else?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by sBoon
I think this list covers most of the topics likely to be in F334.

Electrode potentials.
Kinetics (order of reactants).
Equilibrium constants.
Transition metals (their colour and ligands).
Polymers (bonding and property change with temp).
Optical isomerism (amino acids).
FeCl3 as phenol test.
Synoptic topics (esp. mass spec; IR; chromatography; NMR)

Can anyone add anything else?

NMR won't be in their, neither will equilibrium constants (i.e Kc, they're only f335) However I feel a translation/transcription question will probably come up.
Reply 12
I hope they give us loads of rate of reaction calculation questions. Love that.
Hate it when they make us draw the graph though.. but then again its just plotting in a few numbers find the relationship and maybe the half life, easy 3/4 marks!

Feeling better about this paper than unit 4 seeing as though its not that synoptic tbh. But I hope the examiners don't **** us over like on Wednesday. *****.
Reply 13
NMR won't be in their, neither will equilibrium constants (i.e Kc, they're only f335) However I feel a translation/transcription question will probably come up.

NMR occasionally pops up, but only 1-3 marks
Kc - Jun 09 Q1 f
Reply 14
Original post by sBoon
NMR occasionally pops up, but only 1-3 marks
Kc - Jun 09 Q1 f

June 09 was the old specimen :smile: they altered it slightly since then, taking away the nmr etc, which is onlyf335, even though it'svery similar. They changed it when the new a* grade was introduced, they only papers that have been for this specimen are jan 10, jun 10 and jan 11 :smile: It was paper 2849 back then not f334,but it's still very similar though :smile:
Reply 15

June 09 was the old specimen :smile: they altered it slightly since then, taking away the nmr etc, which is onlyf335, even though it'svery similar. They changed it when the new a* grade was introduced, they only papers that have been for this specimen are jan 10, jun 10 and jan 11 :smile: It was paper 2849 back then not f334,but it's still very similar though :smile:

I'll take your word for it, updated the original post :smile:
Reply 16
I feel a bit more confident doing this exam now I've done F335. I feel a lot of this topic lays the foundations for F335, but I don't want to speak too soon! Could be a nightmare come Friday.
Reply 17
What did everyone think about the Januaruy 2011 paper? Easy or Hard :/ and iit was 63 for an A.
Reply 18
This will be my last exam! :biggrin:
My college wouldn't let us do the Jan sitting because of the investigation :frown:
So first and last chance! Haha! :P
Reply 19
Original post by SarahTM
This will be my last exam! :biggrin:
My college wouldn't let us do the Jan sitting because of the investigation :frown:
So first and last chance! Haha! :P

exactly the same, my last exam. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS TO BE OVER. Then we just have the summer to enjoy :banana:
(i'm gonna try and ignore the thought of results until the last moment)
:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending