Scherzando225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey

I'm due to do my intercalated BSc in september 2012. Our uni offers a great range of subjects, but I was always interested in intercalating in another country.

I know this may be hard as there may not be similar one year programmes as there are, similar to the BSc in the UK, but does anyone know of any kind of program out of the UK (preferably in a french speaking country, but not essential) where they accept med or science students for a year?

Thanks!
Scherzando225
Rep:
?
anyone?
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt there's going to be anybody here who can give specific advice on this.

Your best bet would probably be to research a little into the medical degree of the country you want to go to - if it includes something similar to an iBSc, then you could try contacting them to enquire about the possibility of you joining them. Alternatively, intercalating students have been permitted to join the final year of a relevant degree program, so you could look for degree programs in the country you want to go to.

Of course, whether your uni would give you permission to leave, and whether the degree you got would count here (I wanted to intercalate in England after the second year of a Scottish medical degree and was told that it would only count as a non-honours BSc...), is a whole other ball game.
edcourageous
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know that Manchester specifically state you cannot intercalate abroad
Scherzando225
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
I doubt there's going to be anybody here who can give specific advice on this.

Your best bet would probably be to research a little into the medical degree of the country you want to go to - if it includes something similar to an iBSc, then you could try contacting them to enquire about the possibility of you joining them. Alternatively, intercalating students have been permitted to join the final year of a relevant degree program, so you could look for degree programs in the country you want to go to.

Of course, whether your uni would give you permission to leave, and whether the degree you got would count here (I wanted to intercalate in England after the second year of a Scottish medical degree and was told that it would only count as a non-honours BSc...), is a whole other ball game.
thanks, sounds interesting about joining another degree programme, although of course, doing something outside the uk may be risky with classification etc!
Scherzando225
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cutaneoplast™)
You may choose to do a one year intercalated BSc or an MSc/MRes within Europe. As long as it carries ECTS Credits and is done in an EU country then the UK should recognise this qualification according to EU rules and regulations.
Some EU countries don't let EU/EEA students pay any tuition fees not even for their postgraduate programmes e.g. MSc, so all you need to worry about is getting into the programme and your maintenance fees. You would have to do your own research into this though, plus gain approval from your respective medical school.
Thanks, that's really interesting. I may contact some unis about whether it is possible to come for just one year. Have you known of anyone doing this before / know of any courses?
flobot18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm at manchester now and was thinking about trying to intercalate abroad. Did you manage to do so?
Masafi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MSc year abroad is more likely as most non-UK countries will be surprised that a one year BSc exists. It would take a lot of persuading/organising, though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (332)
55.61%
I don't have everything I need (265)
44.39%

Watched Threads