The Student Room Group

Oxbridge is for obsessive stupid people

Looking at the posts on this subforum it is clear that all you potential oxbridge students are too totally obsessed with your interviews and academic performance to have any real intelligence at all.

"Ooo what are you going to do when you get your letter? How are you going to open it? What do you think it will smell like?"

"I sneezed during the interview, does this mean I'll get rejected?"

"I got 34 A*s but got an A in Dutch. Does this mean my application will be ignored?"

Get a life for God's sake!

Scroll to see replies

Yawn.
Reply 2
inequality

a little harsh and unsympathetic maybe.

good luck to those of you waiting for offers, and don't get too stressed! :smile:
Reply 3
lol
you're such a big cliche 'inequality'
Reply 4
Did it ever occur to you that even if there are some obsessives on the TSR boards that ooo yeh they only make up a tiny fraction of the Oxbridge student body? And that maybe there are lots of us who aren't obsessive and therefore don't post obsessively... so you don't see us to compare to?
inequality
Looking at the posts on this subforum it is clear that all you potential oxbridge students are too totally obsessed with your interviews and academic performance to have any real intelligence at all.

"Ooo what are you going to do when you get your letter? How are you going to open it? What do you think it will smell like?"

"I got 34 A*s but got an A in Dutch. Does this mean my application will be ignored?"

I kinda know what you mean... I came back from my interview thinking I'd just have a nice relaxed Christmas and get my letter afterwards, but reading threads on here has actually transferred some of this stress and agitation to me!
Reply 6
inequality

Count to 10 and take a deep breath :biggrin:
Reply 7
jakatak
lol
you're such a big cliche 'inequality'

:confused:
Reply 8
yes i agree that they are all a bunch of hypochondriacs, but I dont think that is abnormal. It is rather that a (semi) anonymous forum allows for these people to raise their insignificant doubts, and seek reassurance.

So as long as we continue to reassure these crazy individuals, they will keep posting their ridiculous worries. The solution would be to ignore their posts, or simply tell them to think about how important what they are worrying about is. But since that isn't going to be happening any time soon, I guess we're stuck
inequality

*raises eyebrows* - slight generalisation :rolleyes: . Firstly, TSR is a more-neurotic-than-average subset of Oxbridge applicants. Secondly, real intelligence to me is a union of academic ability and the pragmatism to use it wisely in the real world. Taking every rewarding opportunity for which you stand a chance is therefore a wise action. Oxbridge is rewarding. Anyone who got an interview was deemed to have a chance by the colleges. The fact that applicants get so concerned is understandable, and indeed natural. People are allowed to have dreams, are they not?
Reply 10
I concur with the OP.
inequality

**** off to some other forum then
Reply 12
**noooni**
**** off to some other forum then

Seconded.

If people want to worry they will worry, you cant just tell them to stop. At least here they can talk to people in a similar position.
Reply 13
inequality
:confused:

There are 2 cliches in this forum. The obsessive, neurotic applicants who ask the most inane questions (constantly) in order to satisfy their oxbridge insecurites. Most of it is understandable though, its an important and stressful process.

The second are the loud angry protestors to the neurotic applicants. They could ingnore the many posts, but instead take it upon themselves to criticise and berate them. It's a pointless and equaly annoying endevour, because it only upsets and harrases the oxbridge applicants.

You are the latter, it's non of your business, you are making it your problem for some unknown reason.
ice_cube
Seconded.

If people want to worry they will worry, you cant just tell them to stop. At least here they can talk to people in a similar position.

Thirded. If you don't want to read the posts, don't. Nobody's forcing you to.
In fairness, it is true that this forum generates a huge amount of needless stress. For a website that's meant to be helpful, it is anything but far too often.
Reply 16
inequality

It's a coping mechanism. Deal with it.
Reply 17
kellywood_5
Thirded. If you don't want to read the posts, don't. Nobody's forcing you to.

n-thed. It's something to talk about, isn't it?
Isaiah Berlin
In fairness, it is true that this forum generates a huge amount of needless stress. For a website that's meant to be helpful, it is anything but far too often.

Fair point, but if it wasn't for TSR I don't think I would even have bothered applying to Cambridge. The thought had never even entered my head before that. I used to think it was only for super intelligent people with absolutely flawless grades who more often than not were rich and went to private schools, ie the common Oxbridge sterotype, but I've received loads of really helpful information, advice and support from people on these forums that gave me the confidence to apply. Whilst it's true that some people still perpetuate unhelpful and untrue myths like 'you can't get into Oxbridge if you have a single B at GCSE' or 'if you have less than 6 A*s, you won't get in', the majority of members aren't like that.
Reply 19
inequality

Well said. I hope that half of these neurotic ****s dont get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending