Some advice from English applicants/students/admissions type people. Watch

Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I like Chaucer, I like Shakespeare, I like Woolf, I like all that type of stuff and looking at how literature has developed. My biggest passion though is Fantasy Literature. I'm at an odds. Do I try and make myself different by putting in about my biggest passion and briefly mentioning other areas relating to the course or do I just tailor mine to the courses that I'm applying to? They say that they want it to be personal and that they like applicants to be individual, but is putting in about Fantasy Literature advisable? It's just that I'm looking back over my PS and I'm not too sure now, looking at other people's.

By the way I'm not talking about Harry Potter. I mean proper Fantasy Literature like Feist, Tolkien (Overused I know), Goodkind, Scott Card, Pratchett, LeGuin, Eddings e.t.c.

Can anybody offer any advice?
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mixture dude
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, put the stuff that you like in with the stuff that they like.

Chances are they might not ask you about anything but 'traditional' literature at interview but at least they know that you're a bit individual.
yorkshirelass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Clearly separate the two, though, so that they know you're well aware what comes under the canon and what does not. For example you could make the first half of the statement very academic, and then when you are discussing your hobbies include your interest in the fantasy genre there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads